Thread: Bottom Carter guide fell off of my JWBS-14-CS band saw

Blog Entries

Bottom Carter guide fell off of my JWBS-14-CS band saw

The title says it all. I found a bolt (M6X16) that fits, but I think I need to get set screws.

I have Carter guides on the saw. They are several years old, 6 to 10 years.
    What do you have to say about this?

I found a hex head bolt that fits and is there now. I am inclined to find or order wing screws like what was there before.

I'm not comfortable using the saw now. I'm not terrified.

The thing kind of exploded when it came off, the blade went crazy. But, I'll get over it.

Parts flew all over the floor and I never found all of them.

This is the first issue ever on this saw.

After regaining composure, my reaction was "Aww Heck"
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-28-2016 at 9:22 AM.

Heh, the need for clean underwear moment.... know what you mean.

Did they break or just come loose?

I usually do a maintenance/cleanout deal on my machines at least every 6mo or so... or after a production run.
    Normally check for loose parts during those looksee's. Of course, that's no guarantee that stuff like this can't happen during the interim though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    Heh, the need for clean underwear moment.... know what you mean.

Did they break or just come loose?

I usually do a maintenance/cleanout deal on my machines at least every 6mo or so... or after a production run.
    Normally check for loose parts during those looksee's. Of course, that's no guarantee that stuff like this can't happen during the interim though.
    I will daily now. I have very very minor scratches where the blade hit me when it came unglued. It is fixed and I have a new awareness about the machine. I will be checking the guides every day the machine is in use. The machine made a banging noise and the unbroken blade flew completely off of the machine. The lower guide fell off of the machine and I never did find all the screws.
    Of course I was ticked and did not know what happened.

I made repairs. There were loose bolts and confusion. Carter did respond when I emailed them and they were helpful.

We just start band saws up start cutting. I will not do that anymore. You're correct, I had to put on new underwear.

I always figured if I was hurt on the band saw, it would be a finger amputation. Actually, your whole upper body is at risk and particularly your face. Safety glasses are a MUST!

Lowell, when the blade flew completely off the machine did it escape from the slot in the table? Was the pin in the end of the slot. I need to upgrade my own safety precautions and inspections at the band saw, it seemed like a very safe machine.
    Last edited by william watts; 09-28-2016 at 4:03 PM. Reason: Pin
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    ...The machine made a banging noise and the unbroken blade flew completely off of the machine...
    Can you explain how the blade came off of the machine? I've never owned a JET bandsaw, but on my Delta 14" saw there is just no way that an unbroken blade can come off of the machine. Did you have the wheel covers and guards in place or removed?

Blog Entries
    It blew the upper door open. It was a scary thing. The machine is fixed now. Both doors are on hinges.

The event was explosive and terrifying. A loud bang, followed by the upper door flying open and the blade suddenly was all over the place.
    I will be checking the guides daily . It was then that I was aware that the bottom guide was on the floor. A bolt was missing. I did use Locktite on the threads when I re-assembled it.

The saw is cutting good.

Carter has been responsive. They ask for pictures and I sent pictures.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-28-2016 at 4:30 PM.

Whew!
    Rough stuff and I'm a bit surprised that they let loose.
    Like you I pretty much just turn it on and have at it, maybe I'll just check things a little more before start up.
    Thanks for the heads up.

You know the rules; no pictures, it didn't happen. Glad that you are well and unscarred.
    Joe

Blog Entries

These are back on the saw

DSC08208 (Medium).JPGDSC08207 (Medium).JPG

This is the guide that fell off. I had put it back on when the picture was taken. When the guide fell off, the blade was moving at speed, so it exploded and knocked the upper door open.
    IIRC, the whole blade was either above the saw or wrapped around the wheel and blade crank. The incident was accompanied by a very loud crashing sound, a bewildered woodworker, and minor inside arm injuries. I am thankful that I have all of my digits, eyes, and for that matter skin. The sawdust is from a test run. It took courage to start the saw again.

I will routinely check all bolted connections on the saw after this. I have never mistreated the saw. I think the whole issue is with the connections on the guides. An engineer from Carter has been in communication with me. He has not had time to analyze the event. He wasted no time in contacting me.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-28-2016 at 6:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have the exact same setup as you. I will be checking mine tonight. Glad you're ok.

I sure hope you adjusted your blade guides after your encounter, where they are in relation to the blade is way off.
    Glad you weren't seriously injured

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    I sure hope you adjusted your blade guides after your encounter, where they are in relation to the blade is way off.
    Glad you weren't seriously injured
    The back of the gullet should be at the front of the bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    The back of the gullet should be at the front of the bearing.
    Exactly!!!

Blog Entries
    It has always been at the back if the gullet. What apparently happened is a bolt loosened and fell out. That's why I have thread sealant in the bolts now.