Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lathe Question

New Lathe Question

Hi, I have been thinking about buying a new lathe for a while to replace my Jet 1442. Its just not beefy enough and does not have the capacity I want to turn larger bowls. I really want an American Beauty but at nearly $9k configured how I would like it, I cannot pull the trigger right now on it. I was planning on just saving for another year or two as life has been busy between work and kids so I have not had much time on the lathe. Well today I got a 10% off coupon from Grizzly. It got me thinking about the G0766 or the G0800 instead of the AB lathe. I know neither of these are in the same league as the AB but I don't know if my skills are in the AB league either yet. I am still fairly young (40) and try to buy the best tool I can afford so I can keep them for the rest of my life. I am not sure if either of the Grizzly lathes would be a lifetime lathe but I know the AB would. I am torn on this as the G0766 is only $1550 shipped with the coupon and that could keep me happy for many years and I could upgrade down the road if I really need to while not wasting much money if I had to sell off the G0766. The G0800 looks like a slightly better lathe but at more than double the cost for only 2" of capacity I think I am better off with the G0766 or just continuing to save for the AB. Any feedback one way or another? Thanks

2. I have the G0766, and am VERY HAPPY with its features, power and performance. I have turned 20" plus bowls from blanks that weighed nearly 100 lbs, cored with it, and do not see how I could be much happier. That being said, if funds are available, I would go for the G0800, because of features like swing away tailstock, available bed extension, and others as well. 3 hp, 24" swing and ergonomics to rival high end models. It is made to be a contender against the PM 4224 class of lathes.

I have turned on numerous PM 3520b units, some multiple times...and a Robust AB a couple of times. My G0766 will run with PM 3520b's all day long, and actually, not much difference in performance with the AB I turned on. Ergonomics seems to be better on the AB for sure, but I stalled the AB when coring more easily than my 0766, and both are rated at 3 hp. I believe the G0800 will do the same against any Asian model.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    Hi, I have been thinking about buying a new lathe for a while to replace my Jet 1442. Its just not beefy enough and does not have the capacity I want to turn larger bowls. I really want an American Beauty but at nearly $9k configured how I would like it, I cannot pull the trigger right now on it. I was planning on just saving for another year or two as life has been busy between work and kids so I have not had much time on the lathe. Well today I got a 10% off coupon from Grizzly. It got me thinking about the G0766 or the G0800 instead of the AB lathe. I know neither of these are in the same league as the AB but I don't know if my skills are in the AB league either yet. I am still fairly young (40) and try to buy the best tool I can afford so I can keep them for the rest of my life. I am not sure if either of the Grizzly lathes would be a lifetime lathe but I know the AB would. I am torn on this as the G0766 is only $1550 shipped with the coupon and that could keep me happy for many years and I could upgrade down the road if I really need to while not wasting much money if I had to sell off the G0766. The G0800 looks like a slightly better lathe but at more than double the cost for only 2" of capacity I think I am better off with the G0766 or just continuing to save for the AB. Any feedback one way or another? Thanks
    I was in the same dilemma a little over a year ago. I had been turning on the Jet 1642 for a few years and wanted more capacity, more power and more mass. The American Beauty and the Oneway 2436 were at the top of my list. The Oneway appealed to me and was a little less money but still +7K was a lot of money to put out. I then saw the Laguna 2436 at Woodwerks in Columbus, Ohio. They were offering 10% off and the lathe offered everything I wanted. This lathe is identical to the Grizzly GO800. I have been 100% satisfied with the machine and I use it daily. The +800 lbs of cast iron is what I appreciate the most, absolutely rock solid no matter what I've thrown at it.
    I feel the "fit" of the Laguna is excellent, the finish, not so much. A little more time prepping the castings before paint would have made a lot of difference.
    If you go the Grizzly route I'd reccomend the G800 a truly heavy built machine.

Chris, you should take a look at my review of the Laguna Revo 1836 here - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...guna-Revo-1836. With the bed extension, you have a 32" swing off the end. This is limited, obviously, because of the length of the extension. One would not be able to use a hollowing system with the extension mounted low to gain the 32" swing.

Given Carl's comment, I would add that the castings are very clean on the Revo. I don't know if it is made by the same factory, but the design seems to be different in several respects.

5. From my research, I do believe that the Laguna Revo, the Grizzly G0800 and G0799, and the Harvey Turbo are all manufactured by Harvey Industries Co, out of China. These lathes are pretty much identical to one another, but have each vendors particular labeling, etc. Both Laguna and Grizzly have used the same manufacturers in the past models like the 18/47 lines and now these Revo type lines as well.

John is correct....the castings are high quality on both lines. I have seen the Laguna 18/36 at a Woodcraft store, and the Grizzly G0800 on a couple of videos, and lots of pics, and they look to be the same high quality castings. My G0766 has castings that are very nice as well. I do not think you would go wrong with either the Laguna or the Grizz made by Harvey Industries Co. Many of the lathes offered by Asian manufactures have lots of identical parts, so that tells you they are made to the particular vendors specs, which are very similar to identical with Laguna and Grizzly.

Good luck in whatever model you chose...they are fine machines!

Ugh you guys make it so hard to save money . How often does Grizly do these 10% off sales. I cannot remember the last time I saw one. I like the idea of the G0800 now after the info you guys have shared. I was just not planning on spending that type of money right now as I just bought a new Canon 5D IV ( the other hobby ).

7. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    Ugh you guys make it so hard to save money . How often does Grizly do these 10% off sales. I cannot remember the last time I saw one. I like the idea of the G0800 now after the info you guys have shared. I was just not planning on spending that type of money right now as I just bought a new Canon 5D IV ( the other hobby ).
    The G0766 is half of what the G0800 is.....it has everything that is important, just not the swingaway tailstock, comparator arm, cage, or a bed extenson [$499] as an available option. The important things are there, like 3 hp, quality VFD, reversing, spindle readout, etc. ....a lot of lathe for the money, and the best value out there for a large class lathe.

Chris I have had the GO800 for about two months and am very happy with it. I posted some info about it in the new members section. Grizzly gave me a 10% off coupon after I registered on their site and visited as well as made a couple of calls with questions. (nice people & helpful). If it were me I would ask them for a discount off coupon when I am ready to buy all they will say is yes or no. If you buy it pay the extra for the 20" extension it's great for bowls.

[snip]
    It got me thinking about the G0766 or the G0800 instead of the AB lathe. I know neither of these are in the same league as the AB but I don't know if my skills are in the AB league either yet.
    [snip]
    Chris, I understand the sentiment, and there's no question that the AB is in a league of its own. But if skill level of the turner is the issue, I have to ask: Apart from the extra swing over the ways, what can a turner (whether journeyman or expert) produce on an AB that he/she couldn't just as easily on either of those other lathes?

10. Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Chris, I understand the sentiment, and there's no question that the AB is in a league of its own. But if skill level of the turner is the issue, I have to ask: Apart from the extra swing over the ways, what can a turner (whether journeyman or expert) produce on an AB that he/she couldn't just as easily on either of those other lathes?
    Of course David, we both know, given the parameters you mention, that nothing the AB can do cannot also be accomplished on the G0766 or the G0800, aside from the extra two inches of swing on the AB. Of course the adjustable leg height is another great feature of the American Beauty.

I was looking at the parts diagram and list on the G0800 last evening.....the spindle has 3 large bearings on it.....two 6209 and one 6208 bearings and then the motor shaft has two large bearings....a 6205 and a 6203 ......all are double shielded/sealed. This thing is built for the long haul, with all that structural strength and will compete with most of what is out there. The question becomes how important is a lathe made in North America, and parts availability in the long run.

I am a real fan of the Robust AB, and if money were plentiful, and not needed for other more important things, then likely one would be on order, mostly because it is American made, by woodturners, and they have such a good reputation for customer service. I sure like all my Robust rests!

I have a Grizzly 10% off code you are welcome to if you want it. I won't be using it and if it will be of use to you PM me for it.

You get what you pay for Chris. You are right, the American Beauty would be the last lathe you'd buy. You should try before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I have a Grizzly 10% off code you are welcome to if you want it. I won't be using it and if it will be of use to you PM me for it.
    Ronald thank you for the offer. I have a coupon so I am good. If you are not going to use it there is a thread in the power tools sub forum that a few people were looking for one. Thanks!

Ronald thank you for the offer. I have a coupon so I am good. If you are not going to use it there is a thread in the power tools sub forum that a few people were looking for one. Thanks!
    I am not sure if I want to try one as I know my bank account will be 10k lighter . With that said anyone in the SF Bay Area that has either the g0800 or the AB I can come by and check out? Thanks again for everyone's help.

Okay, I will offer it to someone in the general woodworking thread.