Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Lathe Question

You guys suck and really know how to talk someone off the ledge My new G0800 should be here in a week.........

Look forward to seeing what you think of it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    You guys suck and really know how to talk someone off the ledge My new G0800 should be here in a week.........
    What? You expected a pull back instead of a push? You should'a known that this SMC family invented pushing one into the Vortex........no rescue here, but you will certainly increase your fun in life, and my goodness......look at the machine you got on the way........now that is premo! Congrats!

I have to admit, since you began this thread I have felt a bit of a tug myself about that G0800! Wondering/pondering, etc if that Robust AB in my sights would really make me all that much more happy than the G0800, now that I have had a couple of sessions on the AB........hummmm? Can anybody tell me if there is anything wrong with owning 3 or 4 lathes?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    What? You expected a pull back instead of a push? You should'a known that this SMC family invented pushing one into the Vortex........no rescue here, but you will certainly increase your fun in life, and my goodness......look at the machine you got on the way........now that is premo! Congrats!

I have to admit, since you began this thread I have felt a bit of a tug myself about that G0800! Wondering/pondering, etc if that Robust AB in my sights would really make me all that much more happy than the G0800, now that I have had a couple of sessions on the AB........hummmm? Can anybody tell me if there is anything wrong with owning 3 or 4 lathes?
    I would have loved to get AB but at pretty much 10k with options shipped it would have been 3-5 years before I could have spent that type of money. With a 3yo and 5yo at home and a full remodel of the house hopefully coming up next year, I figured the G0800 would keep me happy for a while. Worst case I should be able to sell it for $2k-$2.5k in a few years and put it towards an AB if I really feel the need. Good luck with your decision as well Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    Congrats Chris. I think you made a good choice. You will love (after you set it up and have it in place) the mass of this machine. Even turning smaller items it just feels so solid .
    My only complaint is having to unplug the machine at the end of the day. There is a small box fan on the underside of the VFD box that runs as long as the machine is plugged in. While your waiting for your machine to arrive you may consider installing a switch of some sort ahead of the 220v outlet.
    Don't forget to post pictures after it's up and running!

6. Good morning all. Am about to pull the trigger on a G0766 and have one question. I am 5'10", how is the best way to deal with the tall spindle height. Has anyone cut the legs off? I need some suggestions.

Great group. always enjoy reading the posts.

I am 5-10 and all I use is a rubber mat some have built a box to stand on, if you order a new 0766 they come a little shorter than the older models of 0766

8. Quote Originally Posted by Buck Permenter View Post
    Good morning all. Am about to pull the trigger on a G0766 and have one question. I am 5'10", how is the best way to deal with the tall spindle height. Has anyone cut the legs off? I need some suggestions.

Great group. always enjoy reading the posts.
    They made a change to the leg castings according to some of the newer owners, which brought the spindle height down nearly 2 inches, so you should not have any problems. I am 5'11" and have one of the first machines that came across the ocean with original height, so I put the feet on the legs dead on the leg castings with both nuts on top of the hole in the legs, which gives another 3/8" down. I have a 3/4" anti-fatigue pad underneath and between the legs, and I do just fine with my G0766.

That cliff was fast to get to the bottom of . I'll post more this weekend. IMG_0028.jpg

TEASE!! Congrats on a Fine piece of machinery. I Love my G0766 and will be turning on it for many years to come. Can`t wait to see your Monster completed.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Ugh that thing is as heavy as it looks. With no access to a forklift or any other hoist we had to figure out plan B. We decided to take the head stock off and the tail stock off. While the bed was still heavy we were able to get it up on the legs and fasten them together. Next came lifting the headstock and motor back on. I swear that it was as heavy as the bed. Once we got the rest of the parts on I had to fire it up and see what it sounded like. It turned right on and purred. . It's amazing how much less noise this thing makes than my Jet 1442. I did not get a chance to turn on it yet but hopefully will in a week or so. First impressions of it are very positive. The only thing I don't like so far is the RPM display. The display is mounted flat on the headstock and the angle of view is not that good so I need to bend down in order to see it (I am 6' tall). I might try opening up the panel and see if I can build a tilt up mount so I can see it easier.

Wow! That's a really good looking machine.

FWIW, the GGMG isn't all green anymore.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Wow! That's a really good looking machine.

FWIW, the GGMG isn't all green anymore.
    We might just have to drop one "G". And call it the Grizzly Monster Group!