Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Underground utilities?

I work for a very large construction company. When they need to dig in areas where they are not certain of the undergrounds, they "pot-hole" first. A commercial potholer is a trailer mounted rig with a water lance and a vacuum rig. While I haven't tried it at home (yet) a pressure washer and a wet-dry vacuum are conceptually the same.
    It's messy work, Tyvek suits and face shields required, but will not damage underground utilities. Usually done by two guys, one with the lance and the other with the vacuum hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    As I said in my first post, I had it marked 3years ago. Except the electric,which they had no record of. But I tried again. It was identical, as you would expect. So I learned nothing

I will make 3 assumptions...
    1 the electric runs in the same ditch as everything else,well away from the work area.
    2 even if it doesn't, it is probably too deep to matter
    3 even if it doesn't the shovel probably can't hurt the conduit
    I had the electric and cable professionally marked for $150. Turns out assumption 1 was correct; assumption 2 is likely, and 3 is unknown.
    1 The electric and cable ran between the already marked gas and telephone the entire way.
    2 Their depth is unknown, but code is 18". 3 years ago a landscaper planted a redbud directly over the cable, and that turned out okay.
    3 The town inspector told me proper practice is to run conduit all the way, but it is not code and I shouldn't rely on it as some contractors don't do it.