Thread: Multiple sets of drawer slides?

Multiple sets of drawer slides?

I'm working on a laundry pedestal for my sister-in-law with some shelves above the machines. Being vertically challenged, she asked me if I could incorporate some sort of built in step stool to reach said shelves.

I'm already building a large drawer in the pedestal, so I told her I could make a lid for the drawer she could step on. Easy enough and she's small enough one normal set of slides would probably be fine. But I know if she uses it, everybody in the house will use it (and abuse it). So I'd like to cover my rear and make this thing hold as many people as will fit on it.

I searched and searched but cannot find anything on using multiple sets of slides together. I'm afraid of them being ever so slightly out of sync and not working well as a unit. Anybody done it? Any issues?

P.S., I know there are 500lb pairs I could use but they are more than double the price of 3 sets of 100lb slides. Also, I will incorporate some kind of locking mechanism to hold the drawer in place when it's being used as a step.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Can you design it so the the drawer is just slightly off the floor,then once they stand on it,the floor supports the weight.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I don't see any issues using multiple sets of drawer slides for added support. You might also be able, depending on your design, to incorporate casters under the drawer right behind the drawer front.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Freund View Post
    I

I'm afraid of them being ever so slightly out of sync and not working well as a unit. Anybody done it? Any issues?

I don't have a solution for you, but I share your fear as well.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    I don't have a solution for you, but I share your fear as well.
    Using spacers when mounting the slides should eliminate this problem and at least all the full extension drawer slides I'm aware off have elongated mounting holes or cam adjusters for fine tuning.

Any chance you could design a drop down leg/s that would support to drawer front and fold back up when the drawer is closed?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I don't like the idea because you'll never get the slides aligned well enough that the load is equally distributed across the sets.

Also, is the lid going to be a separate piece that has to be placed on top of the drawer? Seems like that's a hassle.

Presumably the step only needs to be wide enough to stand on, and the washing machine is much deeper. Could you have a sliding cutting-board type thing where the step pulls out from a slot? Then the support can be done via the slot, and you won't have to worry about the slides.

Alternatively, put the step on its own set of slides (separate from the drawer).

I used 3 set of full extension slides on this pull-out pantry.

It rolls out and back nice and smoothly. I agree that the load won't be uniformly distributed on all the slides, but the slop in quality side mounted slides is low enough that the load will be distributed and not all on one. I see the biggest issue being to make sure that your structure and mounting can handle the load. The load will be cantilevered, so the stress gets multiplied where the cabinet is tied to the wall. Make sure it's robust.

John

Thanks everybody. I guess the issue is solved as I was told to just use the more expensive 500lb slides.

I plan on putting some rubber "feet" on the bottom of the drawer that will hopefully take the load anyway and keep it planted without sliding back in.

As for the step itself, the drawer box is 3/4 prefinished ply. I'm making a lid of the same that will hinge at the back once it's pulled out.