Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Very Coarse Crystolon / Siox Stones Guzzling Up Oil?

As of last night, three days after soaking, the stone was still weeping oil out. Not sure how much except there was a small puddle around the stone on the plastic paint lid it was setting on. Now I need to transfer the oil to a measuring device. I'm thinking tonight I will make a hole in the lid and set it up so it will drain into a small cup for weighing.

One week after the stone was soaked with oil, the oil continues to drip out.
    20161016_085302.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post

We have both a Waffle House, and a Los Cabos Mexican eatery.
    What a panoply of fine dining options. How will you and Pat ever choose?

This has been a really informative thread.

I actually opted, instead of doing the vaseline thing, to just soak my stone in some heavy weight mineral oil (which I also found works for sharpening on such a coarse stone).

It doesn't appear to seep out oil, and I can use it even with light mineral oil now. Maybe not a long term solution, but then, it doesn't need to be really.

However, the stone is not much to my liking. It is *insanely* soft, and if used with oil, quickly creates a mud of its own grit particles. It does cut fast, at least.

I've been using it as a "beater" stone for things like grinding a steel rod into an awl, or grinding pocket stones and slip stones out of some some of the many soft arks that I have laying around.

Incidentally, but off-topic; I'm sort of getting into stone cutting as a result of having a bunch of cheap stones in sizes that I'd like to modify. Not knowing what I was doing, I dulled a cheap hacksaw blade before switching to flathead screwdriver that I fashioned into a stone cutting chisel, which worked wonderfully; I managed to cut a stone cleanly in two to make two little pocket stones. Now to try some leather working to make a pouch for it!

Might look into a mason's saw blade? Diamond blades for either a wet saw or one for an angle grinder.