Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Very Coarse Crystolon / Siox Stones Guzzling Up Oil?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    So far, there hasn't been either any seepage, nor Lunch. Any bets on which will happen first

The motor oil has been sitting around since I bought the mower....a year ago. Maybe longer. I used a bit to top off the mower. Otherwise, it just sat around.

The oil that was on my pants leg? was the 3in1 oil. Didn't have a rag available to wipe the chisel with, to check how the bevel was doing. Old habit...use the pants leg. I used the white shipping box to check for any seepage under the stones ( am I going too fast here, keeping up??) all I found was where the 3in1 had been pushed over the side and ends of the stones. Do you want me to go and double check them?

We have both a Waffle House, and a Los Cabos Mexican eatery.
    So you soaked the stone in a bath of motor oil and then you pulled it out and towel it off and sat it out in the sunshine to dry and NOTHING seeped out? That stone soaked up the oil like a sponge and didn't let it go?

Patrick I wasn't even thinking of the dilution that might happen with the 3 in 1 oil. I just don't think there is enough surface tension in the stone to retain all that oil.

Steven, this was a simple grey hardware store stone, right? If nothing seeped out how do you know something is in there?

I MIGHT check them out the next time Sharpening Day comes around. Otherwise, stones have been put away til then. I took the time to do this experiment, and got some decent enough results. No one else wanted to even try.

That is all I have for this thread. Nothing more to add to this thread, other than.....

Lunchtime?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I MIGHT check them out the next time Sharpening Day comes around. Otherwise, stones have been put away til then. I took the time to do this experiment, and got some decent enough results. No one else wanted to even try.

That is all I have for this thread. Nothing more to add to this thread, other than.....

Lunchtime?
    I have an old grey hardware store stone like the one you used and I'll try to repeat your little experiment so I can see for myself. I'll use some 5W-30 and try to measure the volume in / out. If it retains enough you will get lunch money. Do you take Paypal?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I have an old grey hardware store stone like the one you used and I'll try to repeat your little experiment so I can see for myself. I'll use some 5W-30 and try to measure the volume in / out. If it retains enough you will get lunch money. Do you take Paypal?
    The optimum would be the heaviest fixed-viscosity oil that will actually soak into the stone at room temperature. Unfortunately we don't know what that is, and it likely varies from stone to stone (with grit/porosity).

Here's one other wild idea: Soak in a mixture of a light oil and a gelling agent. Some of those take many minutes to work, so if the oil is light enough you should be able to achieve good absorption into the stone before the gelling agent fixes it. There are a bunch of other possible variations on this idea. I wonder if that's Norton's big secret?

As a bonus, you'd get to warn your friends to be careful because "your stones are filled with NAPALM!" (you'd have to be insane to actually make or use gelled gasoline for such a purpose, but most people probably wouldn't pick up on that immediately)
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-09-2016 at 3:49 PM.

Well I started on the experiment with flea market grey stone. Measured out 10 TSP of 10W40 and applied to the stone, 1/2 TSP per application and it is soaking in. It just might take a bit more. Waiting for it to settle in and then will top it off from opposite side.
    Here it is after the 10th half teaspoon was applied.
    20161009_145842(1).jpg
    Here it is after the 20 half teaspons soaked in:
    20161009_151119.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well I started on the experiment with flea market grey stone. Measured out 10 TSP of 10W40 and applied to the stone, 1/2 TSP per application and it is soaking in. It just might take a bit more. Waiting for it to settle in and then will top it off from opposite side.
    Why not just soak it like Steven did and measure the weight at fixed time intervals afterward to detect seepage?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Why not just soak it like Steven did and measure the weight at fixed time intervals afterward to detect seepage?
    I would but I don't have a scale that is suitable at home.

I did notice a lot of air bubbles at the start of the soak......might check on when the bubbles stop. I had the oil about even with the top of the stones, at the start. Level soon dropped below the tops of the stones. That is why I also turned the stones over, slowly, so the oil could get under the stones.

Todays update, ~ 24 hours post oil application, a bit has seeped out the bottom and is puddling up on the plastic paint can lid I used. Not much so far, maybe a few of the 1/2 TSP spoon fuls. I decide to stnad it up and let it be like that for another day. Then I'll have to weigh the oil or otherwise measure it to figure out how much is retained.
    20161010_175709.jpg
    20161010_175813.jpg
    No lunch yet steven

Todays update, ~ 24 hours post oil application, a bit has seeped out the bottom and is puddling up on the plastic paint can lid I used. Not much so far, maybe a few of the 1/2 TSP spoon fuls. I decide to stnad it up and let it be like that for another day. Then I'll have to weigh the oil or otherwise measure it to figure out how much is retained.
    I wonder if you're stone's coarser grit that Steven's?

Capillary forces are inversely proportional to channel (or in this case pore) diameter, and coarser grits have larger pores than finer ones. I can easily believe that the difference between what you're seeing ang what Steven did can be explained that way.

I wonder if you're stone's coarser grit that Steven's?

Capillary forces are inversely proportional to channel (or in this case pore) diameter, and coarser grits have larger pores than finer ones. I can easily believe that the difference between what you're seeing ang what Steven did can be explained that way.
    Perhaps so. Certainly the capillary forces are going to be the ones responsible for retention of the oil in the stone. My perception was that whatever went into the stone was not destined to stay there forever. There will be some sort of limit as to what the stone can retain. Not sure if steven's stone or mine took on more oil before becoming saturated. I'm really curious to see how much comes back out of mine though.

Perhaps so. Certainly the capillary forces are going to be the ones responsible for retention of the oil in the stone. My perception was that whatever went into the stone was not destined to stay there forever. There will be some sort of limit as to what the stone can retain. Not sure if steven's stone or mine took on more oil before becoming saturated. I'm really curious to see how much comes back out of mine though.
    If the capillary forces are strong enough (combination of pores small enough and fluid viscous enough) then in principle the oil could stay in there until/unless its viscosity decreases for some reason. The most likely "some reason" would be mixing over time with a lighter, thinner oil. Like, say, 3-in-1 :-).

If the capillary forces are strong enough (combination of pores small enough and fluid viscous enough) then in principle the oil could stay in there until/unless its viscosity decreases for some reason. The most likely "some reason" would be mixing over time with a lighter, thinner oil. Like, say, 3-in-1 :-).
    I think that is likely. What I am wondering is why n ot just use more 10W40 each time the stone gets used rather than 3 in 1 oil. That's what I will use now that its all charged up!

Pat; I have to say with your engineering background, I am a little surprised your experiment wasn't more tightly controlled. The lowest expectation would have seen the stone accurately weighed before the oil fill commenced.

Stewie;

Stewie, like I said, i don't have an accurate scale for this sort of thing. I can however accurately measure the amount of oil that weeps out. If need be, I'll repeat the test with a better measurement method. Note: the weight of the oil is pretty small fraction of the weight of the stone.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 10-11-2016 at 7:53 PM.