Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LV vs. LN Router Plane

LV vs. LN Router Plane

For me, + for LV is selection of irons, - is size, only closed throat.

+ for LN open throat option, looks bigger, - small selection of irons, having to use screwdriver.

I'm wondering about the size of the LV.

Which one do you own? Why did you choose it?

Blog Entries
    I bought my Lie Nielsen for aesthetic reasons. It is a solid little plane. You don't have to use the screwdriver, but the slot is there if you want it.
    I can't compare the two planes though.

I have planes from both companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    For me, + for LV is selection of irons, - is size, only closed throat.

+ for LN open throat option, looks bigger, - small selection of irons, having to use screwdriver.

I'm wondering about the size of the LV.

Which one do you own? Why did you choose it?
    I have the LV. Deciding factors for me were:
    • Larger selection of blades.
    • Existence of the medium and the hinge mortise planes that use the same blades.
    • Two-piece blades (in the larger sizes) made honing a bit easier, though I've since become more comfortable freehanding with the shaft hanging off the stone.

Keep in mind that with all of these planes you have the option of reversing the blade, and IMO that addresses some of the situations where you might want an open-mouth plane (with the caveat that the support provided by the base is *very* different with the blade reversed).

Add to the good points made by Patrick, the LV has ...

1. the better fence.
    2. better blade holding (using the curvy washer) when changing blades.
    3. An accessory for inlay (which I have used for laying out grooves and mortices on curved work).
    4. a very large selection of blades, where the LN really only has one blade.
    5. Although personal preference will come into this, I like the splayed handles of the LV for their wider stance. The LN are more in board.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I assume you mean the full size router planes and not the small ones. I have the LV and like it. I never tried the LN but I did have a Stanley which is similar to the LN. The LV is better.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Unless you prefer the Stanley look, the LV large router was the obvious choice for me as I deal with narrow grooves or small surface areas a lot with its small blades.

Simon

I haven't had my LV large router plane long but I chose it for many of the same reasons given above. About the closed throat, that was a plus for me. I don't know exactly how wide the LN throat is but it looked like it could be a bit of a problem on narrow boards. Even in LN site photo showing use on the edge of a board, it looks like there's little-to-no support at the front of the sole.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

While I generally prefer LN planes, I went with the LV. My reasons have been given above. Also it's great that the medium router plane uses the same irons. I find I use both of these planes quite a bit.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    I haven't had my LV large router plane long but I chose it for many of the same reasons given above. About the closed throat, that was a plus for me. I don't know exactly how wide the LN throat is but it looked like it could be a bit of a problem on narrow boards. Even in LN site photo showing use on the edge of a board, it looks like there's little-to-no support at the front of the sole.
    You can buy the L-N in both configurations (open/closed) so if you don't like it open you simply don't order it that way.

Like you I consider a closed sole a "must". That being the case, the question for somebody like us really becomes: Which second router plane will be more attractive if/when you eventually expand your collection? L-N's otherwise identical open-sole plane, or the LV hinge mortise plane and/or medium router? I went the second route, though I can see valid arguments either way.

I did make one omission in my previous post: The blades for the LN 271 are usable in the full-sized router plane with an adapter, so in that sense they have a counterpart to the LV medium router (though the LV can use all of the blades that their full-sized one can).

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    You can buy the L-N in both configurations (open/closed) so if you don't like it open you simply don't order it that way.
    Well, I'll be darned. Whiffed that one entirely. Good thing it wasn't the only significant consideration. As much as I like the looks of LN products in general, I'm certainly not unhappy with the LV so far.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Blog Entries
    My large router plane is a Stanley 71 with a full compliment of blades. I was looking for a Stanley 271 which was not available.
    I looked at both Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen and chose the the LN because I preferred it's appearance.

I have both Stanley, Stanley Bedrock, and Lee Valley planes. I have both lh and rh skew rabbet planes as well as the small plow.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-29-2016 at 7:57 PM.

Another option

I have some Stanley type routers and a Tyzack rectangular one as well. The Stanley types can all utilize the Veritas cutters as they are held in the diamond direction. The Tyzacks hold the blade square like the Lie Nielsen. I prefer the diamond direction. However, I prefer the shape of the Tyzack which is similar to the Preston 1500.

Recently I "upgraded" to a Walke-Moore (walkemooretools.com). It has the shape of the Preston, holds the cutters like the Stanley, but gives many more cutter position unavailable to the Stanley types. The downside (besides price) is that only one cutter currently available. The LV ones can be modified by cutting a single notch and will work fine. If interested you will have to wait until full production starts. Should be available by end of year.
    WM Router 1.jpg

LV all the way. Have you put the LN in your hands? If you have medium to large hands the grip is awkward. Think about how you push something, you spread your hands out not close in. The selection of blades is great. 1+ on the inlay tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Recently I "upgraded" to a Walke-Moore (walkemooretools.com). It has the shape of the Preston, holds the cutters like the Stanley, but gives many more cutter position unavailable to the Stanley types. The downside (besides price) is that only one cutter currently available.
    "Besides price"... I like that. For those not in the know, we're talking about a $300 router plane here. I'll be the first to admit I've found it tempting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    I have some Stanley type routers and a Tyzack rectangular one as well. The Stanley types can all utilize the Veritas cutters as they are held in the diamond direction. The Tyzacks hold the blade square like the Lie Nielsen. I prefer the diamond direction. However, I prefer the shape of the Tyzack which is similar to the Preston 1500.

Recently I "upgraded" to a Walke-Moore (walkemooretools.com). It has the shape of the Preston, holds the cutters like the Stanley, but gives many more cutter position unavailable to the Stanley types. The downside (besides price) is that only one cutter currently available. The LV ones can be modified by cutting a single notch and will work fine. If interested you will have to wait until full production starts. Should be available by end of year.
    WM Router 1.jpg
    Hi Eric

I am puzzled by this router plane. It looks pretty in bronze, but it is twice the cost of the LV for half the features. For example, there is nothing more than a rudimentary fence (similar to the Stanley and LN), a single blade (which looks like they cut down one of the Veritas ones), and the antiquated blade clamping system of the Stanley. I know that the design was made popular by Paul Sellers, but other than that, what is the attraction? Surely it cannot be the changing positions of the knobs and blade holder? One could purchase the Large and Medium LV router planes, and have change!

Regards from Perth

Derek