Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LV vs. LN Router Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I can give several examples of why a router plane excels - just think of any recessed surface that you want flat and a guaranteed depth, or any slot or groove longer than your chisel.
    That second bit is why they make dado planes and cranked-neck paring chisels.

Eric is right in principle: Anything we do with a router plane *can* be done with some other tool[s]. With that said, if we applied that sort of logic rigorously we wouldn't have a lot of tools that most people consider essential. After all, you can joint with a #4. People use router planes for the same reason they use jointers: It's a lot faster and easier than the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I can give several examples of why a router plane excels - just think of any recessed surface that you want flat and a guaranteed depth, or any slot or groove longer than your chisel.
    In theory, we only need the smallest chisel (1/16"?) and that can handle anything that 1/8" to 1" chisels and beyond can do. But at what cost? We only need an apron plane and that could do the job of a jointer plane, too. Again at what cost? Heck, ancient people didn't even have chisels and handplanes, let alone router planes! They used stones. I, for one, wouldn't be woodworking if all we had were stone tools.

Simon

Simple or bells & whistles?

Yes, we could do much with very few tools but having specialty tools makes the job easier. Now look at router planes again from a historical viewpoint. The earliest routers were wooden with simple adjustment (wedges). Unless you nailed a board on they had no fences. Why? Probably because they had no need. To put it another way, their designs and methods didn't require it. The earliest metal routers, if they had a fence, it was small. Why? Probably to sell to a perceived need and small to reduce cost. Now look at the LV large. Lots of bells and whistles. Are they really needed? If you have the standard 1/2" straight cutter and wish to cut a 1/4" rabbet you can't without some sort of modification to the optional fence. Now look at the shape of the router (or Stanley types). Do you see any straight edges you could trust to follow and keep square to a external guide? No. Obviously they are designed more for freehand use. Now look at the Preston rectangular router and you see it has four sides that could be used against a guide. No fence necessary. Like the Stanley types the Prestons did have small fences available.

Another advantage of the Preston types is the ability to straddle a wider gap. One example is a guitar neck I was working on. I needed to make the tuner section flat and parallel. I flattened the top side first with a hand plane and then turned it over and laid it on the bench. I put a runner on each side for the Preston type plane (this one is a Tyzack). The Stanley types just don't have enough support for this kind of operation, especially if you try to skew the cutter. The extra support also comes in handy when working long tendons. Again, many different tools can be used for this. This type of router makes it easy.

Tyzack.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bronze is *very* pretty in a tool, most definitely. But what does it have over a Stanley?

What advantages?

The earliest routers were wooden with simple adjustment (wedges). Unless you nailed a board on they had no fences. Why? Probably because they had no need. To put it another way, their designs and methods didn't require it. The earliest metal routers, if they had a fence, it was small. Why? Probably to sell to a perceived need and small to reduce cost. Now look at the LV large. Lots of bells and whistles. Are they really needed?
    Eric, the OWT type router plane to which you referred were almost inevitably user-made. They were created to meet a basic need, using blades that could be borrowed from another plane, typically a plough plane. I would not use these designs as a reference for best router plane design. As with all tools, there was a process of evolution.

I would not consider that the designs of the large LN and LV router planes to be a sales gimmick. They definitely meet the needs of dedicated users.

Here's one example of the importance of the fence on a router plane ..

Ploughing a groove on a straight stretcher is simple - just use a plough plane ...

But what if the stretcher is curved?

You could chisel it out. I have done that. You could use a scratch stock. I have done that.

It is much easier to use a router plane with a fence ...

I use the router plane quite often this way for this purpose (since I like furniture that has subtle curves).

Regards from Perth

Derek