Thread: Bird houses

Bird houses

Sometimes it's just "fun" to turn something other than the ordinary bowls, platters, pens, etc.
    These are a couple of bird houses I turned recently, one is Eastern Red Cedar and the other is Sycamore. Really fun and easy to turn.
    BTW, the wife painted the roof of the Sycamore one. The Cedar one was made from an old fence post. It had a lot of cracks, but they were small and a little CA glue took care of them. I think the cracks add to that "rustic" look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by daryl moses; 09-29-2016 at 10:55 AM.

I like them, especially the color variation in the cedar heart and sap wood.
    I have some 8-9" cedar in my burn pile and may salvage a few pieces. I have problems with it cracking that is why it is in the burn pile but if the birds don't like a few leaks they can build their own.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Both look really nice. Great turning.

Thanks Michael and Tom. Yes Michael you should try to salvage some of the Cedar the birds don't mind if their house isn't perfect.

Is there a way to open the bottom or top to clean them out? Really nice job, another thing on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Is there a way to open the bottom or top to clean them out? Really nice job, another thing on the list.
    The bottoms have a recess cut into them with a plug that goes into it held in with a couple of screws.
    They are really fun to make, and if their not perfect the birds don't mind.

great birdhouses. what are the dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Bays View Post
    great birdhouses. what are the dimensions
    Sycamore is 9x5 cedar is 8x5.
    The hole is 1 1/4 .

I like those, Daryl. I also like the cracking "imperfections" on the cedar one. I think it gives it a little character and I agree with you about the rustic look.

Nicely done!
    Be Blessed

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Conklin View Post
    I like those, Daryl. I also like the cracking "imperfections" on the cedar one. I think it gives it a little character and I agree with you about the rustic look.

Nicely done!
    Thank you George for taking the time to look and comment, it is very much appreciated.

Those are neat. I think that might be my next project on the lathe. Any tips when making them?
    USMC '97-'01

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    Those are neat. I think that might be my next project on the lathe. Any tips when making them?
    pretty much like making a lidded box. I start with the log between centers and turn it round, I've found leaving a little bark on adds to the look, then turn a tennon on one end and chuck it up. Probably many ways to proceed from there but I then use a parting tool to make a tennon on the other end cutting it down 1/2" or so smaller than the bird house body I then part the tennon off and make a recess for the bottom, the piece you just parted off becomes the bottom of the house. Then I proceed to shape it forming the roof profile going towards the headstock but leaving enough wood to support it while hollowing out the inside. Since you will be hollowing end grain it's easiest to bore out the center with the largest forstner bit you have. It's then just a matter of hollowing it out, I like using a carbide cutter with a slight radius. Not real important but to keep the roof from cracking [because it contains the pith] try to hollow out the roof as well. You can then finish up the roof profile and get as fancy as you want before sanding and parting off.
    Most of the bird houses I turn are green except for the Cedar ones, to help keep the green ones from cracking it helps to place them in a bag for a couple of weeks or so.
    It's easier than it sounds and doesn't have to be perfect, it is just a bird house after all.