Thread: Your advice: Rust hunts

Wink Your advice: Rust hunts

Heading up to the cabin this weekend...I've never been good at obtaining these super deals on old tools from flea markets, garage sales etc. I've avoided auctions as I'm impatient and probably would be restless waiting for the bidding to turn to the tools ....Never been to a flea market (although couple of my friends have recommended)....Haven't also had good luck on the few antique stores I see on my way North.

Any general tips you guys could give me..I hear these reports of buying these great vintage tools (often w/pics here on SMC) but I personally, have not done well....
    What channels/places should I emphasize? any general tips for a novice buyer like me? are there websites that provide direction for local hunts?

Thank you..Its always nice when each journey has a second purpose...In pursuit of seasoned rust,

Jerry
    Jerry

Ask the seller specifically for woodworking tools or old woodworking tools. Twice at garage sales I've found woodworking tools and a tool chest by asking. People don't always drag that stuff out or think people like us are out there.

ive also given out my number to folks who said they come across tools or have tools they're not ready to part with yet.

there are also searchable estate sale and garage sale websites. sometimes they show woodworking tools for sale, so you have an idea going in what could be there.

have patience ha ha
    Don't forget the struggle Don't forget the streets

The only advice I can give you is to be persistent and patient. When I think of all the excellent stuff I've stumbled across over the years, I count myself very lucky. When I think of all the times I've come away empty handed, I realize my success rate isn't impressive (10%? probably not even...). If you don't enjoy poking around for its own sake, it probably isn't worth your time.

I like to think of it as treasure hunting. Tools at fleas antique malls and estate sales tend to be loaded in boxes on the ground or floor and appear to be a large collection of rust. If they're up on the tables then the seller usually has a higher opinion of the value than I do. Expect to look a long time between great finds.

For me the hunt is a weekly fleamarket trip. Sometimes you get those gloattable deals ,other times you end up paying a fair price. Last Sunday it was $12 for a E.A. Berg firmer gouge, a fair price. If you check in the boxes and tool boxes you may, as I did , find a made in Sweden Esteel chisel for a buck. That's a gloat. Chat up the dealers, he's trying to make a buck by going to auctions and garage sales . This saves you both time and mileage.as well as about 30% They usually don't really know tools or if they do, remember that 30%. A set of Swedish made Beaver chisels in the box for $60. But I've found the best deals are when someone is selling off.

In antique and second hand stores, ask up front about old tools, this both saves you time and it may open up that chest in the back room. The second hand stores are not as snobbish so have better prices, same stuff. Because they have much higher overhead then a dealer at the fleamarket, expect to pay twice as much.

I do quite well in NE Pennsylvania. We have a town known for their antiques about an hour away and certain vendors deal heavily in tools or only in tools. Prices are fair but the real deals are obviously to be had by those not as aware of what they are selling. A surefire way to find a good haul is to join the Midwestern Tool Collectors Association. They have meets bi-annually in different locations that are essentially flea markets just for old tools. It is quite a scene which includes everything from great deals to stanley no 1"s and 1/8" 750's and everlastings. I attended one 2 weeks ago in Adamstown, PA and picked up the following items for just under 200$.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry guys, I cant get the picture above to do a 180

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Selinger View Post
    For me the hunt is a weekly fleamarket trip. Sometimes you get those gloattable deals ,other times you end up paying a fair price. Last Sunday it was $12 for a E.A. Berg firmer gouge, a fair price. If you check in the boxes and tool boxes you may, as I did , find a made in Sweden Esteel chisel for a buck. That's a gloat. Chat up the dealers, he's trying to make a buck by going to auctions and garage sales . This saves you both time and mileage.as well as about 30% They usually don't really know tools or if they do, remember that 30%. A set of Swedish made Beaver chisels in the box for $60. But I've found the best deals are when someone is selling off.

In antique and second hand stores, ask up front about old tools, this both saves you time and it may open up that chest in the back room. The second hand stores are not as snobbish so have better prices, same stuff. Because they have much higher overhead then a dealer at the fleamarket, expect to pay twice as much.
    Ray, you mention a weekly fleamarket trip...Here it seems to be 1/month for the majors and a very few weekly..Do you have a schedule and then make the rounds each week or?..Maybe I'm just too new to this...How do you find out about the nearby flea markets? I'm obviously a rookie/newbie to this..Thanks.Learning
    Jerry

Peter you did well and obviously "know the ropes"...
    Jerry

Local newspapers that I can pull up on'line. I look for "Yard Sale" sections and see what they list. IF it says "Tools" I'll try to get there early, before the Feeding Frenzy starts.

Happen to know a few stores in my area. Flea Markets don't seem to have much around here. Nor do they seem to last very long. Sometimes, it is an "Annual Community wide sale" as a lot of the smaller towns have town-wide yard sales.
    cleaned up.jpg
    $5 at a campground-wide sale. Square is a Stanley 10" Sale was their once a year season ending sale.

Sometimes, when I get out of the van at the curb, I can smell the rust......

Our fleamarket is weekly at our local fairgrounds. There is a larger one, but less good stuff, at another fairground 20 miles away. Years ago I helped my cousin at one, it was at a drive-in movie theatre . It's worthwhile to get there early, the best stuff is gone with in the first couple of hours. But the good thing for me, is most of the buyers are really cheap, anything a bit pricey doesn't sell too quickly, and that also drives down the price.

Know your tools.Such as Sandvik handsaws, the red plastic handled ones looks cheap, but it's a couple of models above a D-8.While I like the balance of the skew backed Distons, but red handled and black and chrome Sandviks come home. Where you live the pickings should be much richer but different.

Jerry,
    Not sure where your cabin is but looking at your location of Northern Illinois my guess is Wisconsin. If it is north of Wausau, say Minocqua, etc. there is a large weekly flea market in St. Germain. It is on Monday and they claim 400 spaces. I have bought many different tools there over the years. Unfortunately it is over for the season as it only runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

But if you are near there it is worth the stop come next summer.

Best of luck,
    Tim

Blog Entries
    The key to finding is to always be looking. Fortunately for me my wife likes browsing antique stores. If the prices seem high make an offer, just be prepared to pay if the offer is accepted. Sometimes instead of making an offer I will mention the prices seem a bit high. Sometimes I will say it to my wife within earshot of the store operator.

There is always the gift of gab. Talk to the people in antique stores and such. I have been led to other stores where they carry more tools. Antique dealers have associations and know each other. Most likely when you leave the store they are calling ahead to tell their friend someone may be coming their way.

I do not find much here in the Goodwill or other thrift stores, they are worth a quick walk through.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It helps if you basically enjoy browsing. I've found that most large antique malls will have one or two booth's that specialize in tools. My experience with these seller's is that they have a general sense of what things go for on e-bay and price things within reason - not necessarily great deals. Sometimes I'll run across items that are way over-priced for being used as a tool, but might appeal to someone for home decorating. Usually the large antique malls are in mid-size cities or high-traffic areas. When browsing through these places, beware of obscurity by clutter. Sometimes there will be so many items crammed in a small space that you may not see the trees for the forest. As I walk through these places, I usually try to stop and take a slow visual inventory of the booth before moving on. Any time I find a booth with lots of tools that are well organized and labeled, my experience has been that the prices are fair, but not great buys. This is where it helps to have some sense of value, what you want or need, and what it is worth to you.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Offutt View Post
    Jerry,
    Not sure where your cabin is but looking at your location of Northern Illinois my guess is Wisconsin. If it is north of Wausau, say Minocqua, etc. there is a large weekly flea market in St. Germain. It is on Monday and they claim 400 spaces. I have bought many different tools there over the years. Unfortunately it is over for the season as it only runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

But if you are near there it is worth the stop come next summer.

Best of luck,
    Tim
    Tim your deductions are correct but I'm farther west from Minoqua....Thanks for a very useful tip..I'll look into next season...Thanks
    Jerry