Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titebond II Extend vs Titebond III - open time

Titebond II Extend vs Titebond III - open time

I cannot find any data about the difference in open time between the 2 glues. I need to do a complex assembly with multiple Dominos and I need as much open time as I can get.
    I also noticed that Titebond II Extend is very thin and it has been more difficult for me to get a good squeeze-out in comparison with regular TB II (I have not tried TB III yet.)

If there's somebody out there who experimented with TB II and TB III and can comment/advise about the differences - it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.titebond.com/Libraries/Li...deTB.sflb.ashx

This does not show TBIIExtend, but the product fact sheet for that product shows about 15ish mins open assembly for TB2E, vs 10ish for TB3.

I used TB2E for gluing up a rocker laminations on a rocker, and it was great. I use TB3 for most things because of availability.

You can speed assembly with Dominos in 2 ways:

1) Pour into a cup and brush either the dominos or mortises. Don't bother doing both.
    2) If you really have many, glue up the dominos into one side of some joints and then when dry, glue up the other side.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-29-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Also know that you can thin both glues a little and get more open time.
    Neither one is gap filling so good jointery makes a good joint.

Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Also know that you can thin both glues a little and get more open time.
    Interesting. Just add a little bit of water?

Just a little makes a big difference. With Titebond 1 and 2 Five percent water changes viscosity forty percent.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    You can speed assembly with Dominos in 2 ways:

1) Pour into a cup and brush either the dominos or mortises. Don't bother doing both.
    2) If you really have many, glue up the dominos into one side of some joints and then when dry, glue up the other side.
    Thanks! Dominos are already glued on one side. I will use TB II Extend for this one and experiment with TB III for future projects. It is widely available at home centers and should be less stressful than TB II...

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Dotan View Post
    Interesting. Just add a little bit of water?
    I've done my own testing and find thinning the glue doesn't affect the strength one bit.It also takes less clamping pressure to close joints.
    Do some tests first so you can have confidence to use in your projects.

Aj

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Just a little makes a big difference. With Titebond 1 and 2 Five percent water changes viscosity forty percent.
    X2
    My dad taught me this over 40 years ago and it still works today with white and yellow glue, but as you said less is more.

What you are asking is to remove one of the design characteristics of these glues. They are Ok for assembly where you want fast grab and the resultant reduced clamping time. If you need open time, choose a glue that has that property. I am not a fan of thinning the glues. You are reducing the volume solids and the solids are what you need to remain in the joint. Cheers

When I want a really long open time, I use West Systems epoxy with the slow hardener. If you go that route, mix your epoxy in one container and then put that container in another container of ice. Epoxy generates heat when it's mixed and high heat will cause it to set quickly.

The West Systems with slow hardener will give you over an hour of open time.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Info on thinning the glue is from the Titebond mfg. and I've used it like that a number of times,usually with glue on both surfaces. I prefer UF glue for thin glue but sometimes you just can't provide the required 70 degree minimum temperature needed for that.

I agree epoxy or urea formaldehyde are the go for long open times.

I am beginning to be of the opinion that PVA type glues are not great with many Australian timbers. It would not surprise me to find that little or no research is done with them. There is a common misconception that it will just work the same. This applies to paints as well as glue.

The early settlers in Australia were devastated to find that their woodworking tools just didn't work with Australian hardwood. Hence the start of the myth that imported timber is better, and the end of availability of the few easy timbers through over felling. Try and buy Australian Cedar...Cheers

I use Gorilla glue when I want a long open time. I use it all the time when I have a lot of dominos to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    I use Gorilla glue when I want a long open time. I use it all the time when I have a lot of dominos to deal with.
    To add some details: the current assembly is a 2-part king bed headboard (top and bottom) attached at a 5 degree angle. There are a LOT of dominos and the dry fit was very tight. I actually widened some of the mortises to make it less tight. My main concern is that if the glue starts to set, even a bit, it would be very hard to connect the parts. Also - swelling of the wood/dominos is a concern. I will do another dry-fit and might sand the little ridges on the narrow side of the dominos that go into the regular size mortises.

Yes that's true with dominos they can be very tight.And I have adjusted the fit on super tight ones.
    Also rehearse the whole glue up with dry run.Even pretend to spread glue.
    What else can we do?
    Say a prayer,take our vitamins,be polite to a perfect stranger.
    Then go for it.

Aj