Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Titebond II Extend vs Titebond III - open time

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Dotan View Post
    To add some details: the current assembly is a 2-part king bed headboard (top and bottom) attached at a 5 degree angle. There are a LOT of dominos and the dry fit was very tight. I actually widened some of the mortises to make it less tight. My main concern is that if the glue starts to set, even a bit, it would be very hard to connect the parts. Also - swelling of the wood/dominos is a concern. I will do another dry-fit and might sand the little ridges on the narrow side of the dominos that go into the regular size mortises.
    If you're worried about wood swelling use a non-water based glue.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I run both sides of the ends of the dominos over sandpaper so they can go into the mortise easier, and I always use the middle width setting to bore the mortise, so I'm not fighting on having to be dead on exact with each domino placement.

Then I toss the dominos in water (only if I'm going to glue the dominos), spread the Gorilla glue on one side of the glue-up, and run a very damp rag over the other piece.
    I shake the water off a domino and tap it into place with a little hammer. The pieces pull together pretty easily with clamps because Gorilla glue lubricates (yellow glue grabs, and make this the most anxiety laden part of the process). But I've timed myself at up to 35 minutes for a really complex glue-up and the Gorilla glue allowed me to tweak things into square right to this point.

I don't always put glue in the mortise, sometimes the domino is just for positioning of the pieces.

When the glue bubble out I clean it off with alcohol before it dries.

If a perfect stranger interrupts me during all this I am never polite to them.
    Last edited by Mark Gibney; 09-30-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Say a prayer,take our vitamins,be polite to a perfect stranger.
    Then go for it.

Aj
    LOL! Thanks for the good laugh. Here is a picture of my Domi-monster. Done with DF-500, so I used a "few" more (yes, I know, I sometimes go over the top.)

IMG_3023.jpg
    Last edited by Guy Dotan; 09-30-2016 at 1:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Dotan View Post
    LOL! Thanks for the good laugh. Here is a picture of my Domi-monster. Done with DF-500, so I used a "few" more (yes, I know, I sometimes go over the top.)

IMG_3023.jpg
    Holy moly that's a big one.
    I wish you good luck.

Aj

Progress report: success! I used a chisel to remove the little ridges of the narrow side of the dominos that go into the regular size mortises, did another dry fit which went well and then used TBIII after I experimented with it and found that I really liked its viscosity. TBII Extend is a little too thin for me and makes it more difficult for me to get a nice bead of squeeze out (before it runs/drips.)

With a helper and a quick rehearsal - it all went without a hitch. Thanks all for your help and good advice!