Thread: Collection Container for Air Compressor Drain

Collection Container for Air Compressor Drain

I recently moved into a new shop. I have an auto drain on my compressors and it is connected to blow off for a few seconds whenever the main compressor kicks on. I had it plumbed through the exterior wall and it worked fine. Now, in the new shop, the compressor is in the middle of the building in a soundproof closet and venting it outside is not an option.

I am considering just having it dump into a one gallon container of some kind. It would have to have some kind of open filtered port on it that wouldn't allow water to pass through. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? The simpler the better.
    - Mike

Look at the aquarium industry. If you google home made skimmer collection containers you will find lots of ideas on how to make a drain container just like you mention with an auto shut off valve to keep it from overflowing. Might give you some ideas on what to make.

I ended up using a plastic 5 gallon kerosene jug. I drilled & tapped the jugs vent hole and installed a 1/4-18 NPT brass barbed nipple. I ran tygon tubing between the jug and ADV. I do get some moisture venting out of the jug when the ADV cycles but not enough for me to worry about.
    We don't have a lot of humidity in Albuquerque so I have never needed to empty the jug.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Look at the aquarium industry. If you google home made skimmer collection containers you will find lots of ideas on how to make a drain container just like you mention with an auto shut off valve to keep it from overflowing. Might give you some ideas on what to make.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I searched and came up with this image which is similar to what I was thinking:

IMG_1007.jpg

However, I would need an exhaust valve that can withstand 100 psi and not pass moisture.
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I ended up using a plastic 5 gallon kerosene jug. I drilled & tapped the jugs vent hole and installed a 1/4-18 NPT brass barbed nipple. I ran tygon tubing between the jug and ADV. I do get some moisture venting out of the jug when the ADV cycles but not enough for me to worry about.
    We don't have a lot of humidity in Albuquerque so I have never needed to empty the jug.
    Cool setup. In my situation, since the compressors are installed in an enclosed space and I live with the Florida humidity, I think it would be a good idea to filter the vent.

Any thoughts on a vent to use?
    - Mike

I have no idea other than the standard in-line traps and I don't think they would work in this situation.
    I would not use anything glass unless it was designed to handle the pressure.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I just let it blow on the concrete floor...the amount of moisture is so minimal, especially since the auto-drain interval is relatively short. It evaporates 'very quickly' in my experience. I've had mine this way for years in my DC/Compressor closet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zerance View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I searched and came up with this image which is similar to what I was thinking:

IMG_1007.jpg

However, I would need an exhaust valve that can withstand 100 psi and not pass moisture.
    Michael

You don't need it rated to 100psi. The catch container would be vented to atmosphere, and should not build pressure inside. Your auto drain would exhaust into the volume chamber at atmosphere
    The five gallon container that Bruce has would absolutely do what you need it to do. You might want to adhere a piece of sponge to the exhaust port, as you live in Florida.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I'm in FL and I just use a plastic jug too but mine doesn't auto drain. I have a valve and I do it manually so I have a little more control over the pressure and water volume blowing into the jug. I still get small drips of water that blow out of the jug but not enough to do the vent idea. I don't let the jug build up enough to need an auto shut valve on it either.

I know you have a lot more humidity than me, but for years I drained my compressor weekly into a tin can, and it evaporated before the next draining. Might not work where you are.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have a manual valve on my tank and just let it vent into a cutoff can sitting on the garage floor. I'm in central Florida and the small amount of water blown out just evaporates from the can pretty much overnight.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, fellas. I found an old in-line desiccant dryer that I am going to use to exhaust from the container.
    - Mike

That didn't work; the lid blew right off the container! Any other thoughts for a container, other than a plastic bottle?
    - Mike

As it has been said, you don't want something that is sealed or restricts air flow. A large open container (bucket, bowl, etc.) should be fine. If you try to filter the air coming out, you now need to have a pressure vessel, and even then, I wouldn't be comfortable with the pressure shock that will come from opening a solenoid valve over and over again.

Thanks, fellas. I used an open container as you all have recommended.

I cut the discharge hose and put it into an old measuring cup with a rag in the bottom to absorb the water and keep the moisture from getting blown around. It seems to be working okay.
    - Mike