• estate sales

16 31.37%
  • association meeting

5 9.80%
  • other

8 15.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your best source when on "rust-hunt" (Poll)

Your best source when on "rust-hunt" (Poll)

To simplify, what is usually your best source of vintage "old" tools " when out looking i.e., "rust hunting"? (poll)

Flea market
    Antique mall
    Antique stores
    garage sales
    auction
    estate sale
    other (please comment)

Curious as to where you guys are getting these super finds...Thank you,
    Jerry

I find garage sales the least productive and won't go out of my way to stop at one. I only go to an estate sale if I see photos of tools in the online listing and can get there early. Flea markets, antique stores and malls are just fun to browse through and typically have a tool area.

All of the above. Most of my stuff has come from antique/flea markets but I've scored some gems at garage and barn sales. I look for old houses and farms. My best scores have been a Sweetheart era #5 at a garage sale for $10 and a Stanley #46 for $13 at a roadside flea market. If you want to find the goods you need to be willing to look everywhere.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

When I first started buying planes, many moons ago, I saw an ad on craigslist selling a #65 (i think) low angle block, #5, #6, and #7 for 40$. I walked away with them all for 30$ and have been hunting ever since. Each category you mentioned is worth exploring as you never know what one will yield. "Association meetings" as I mentioned in the other thread are the only sure thing, but you will likely pay a premium. Depending on the amount of time you have to hunt, being visible amongst sellers and getting yourself known as "the tool guy" will yield great outcomes. There was one dealer at a weekly flea market that sold only milk glass. One day I was purchasing a machinist chest from a space next to him and he said, "Oh you like tools? I have boxes and boxes of them if you're interested." The next week he showed up with a kennedy chest filled with Starret measuring devices and shoeboxes full of "5$" chisels, at least a dozen of them E. A. Berg in remarkable condition. Had I not had that exchange, I'd of never known.

Peter

I also buy/collect/restore old watches and pocketwatches. Many years ago I made this corny shirt with iron-on letters that said "SELL ME YOUR OLD WATCHES" and wore it on my early sunday morning hunt. I looked like a huge dork but the resulting haul was incredible haha

My most impressive purchase, a patternmaker's tool box with the tools, was an estate sale item, my wife was told about by her friend. I've found individual items at the fleamarket. That Marples 3/4" chisel to complete a set took some time. At a thrift store I found a Diston #12.

Only place around here is eBay. I never see any decent tools at garage sales. But maybe that's because the tool hunters get there before me.

And, in general, the tools that most people have (who are not dedicated woodworkers) are generally not the best.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

early lead is:

Looks like the early lead is "estate sales". Do you generally get knowledge of these in local newspapers or are there online sources? Looks like I should put more emphasis there.. Auctions not scoring high..Thanks guys.
    Jerry

It's like the old saying.......

You gotta kiss a lot of frogs before you find a Prince. Or something like that.
    You never know where you might find something good.

I found a sweetheart era #4 for $20.00 bucks at an antique store. Same store has a booth full of nice stuff, but the prices are too high. Found a minty Stanley 9 1/2 for $30.00.

I like the "thrill of the hunt" so to speak.

Hmmmm. A tie between antique malls and estate sales.
    You guys seem to know where/how to find these exceptional jewels!!!
    Jerry

Jerry, around my neck of the woods, Estate sales typically run Thursdays through Sundays. On Wednesday, I google "estate sales 48025" (my zip code), and there are several sites that list them and include pictures.

If the sale is close by, lists tools, and has pictures that shows woodworking tool potential (a bench plane, hand saw, chisels, etc), I'll try to get to it as soon after it's open as possible. If you see good potential, try to see if they are located in a basement or garage and head there first. Hand tools tend to go quick here...

One thing I learned from "professional" estate buyers (most likely resellers), is once you're in, grab everything you see that you might want. Then sort through it, and put back what you don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Jerry, around my neck of the woods, Estate sales typically run Thursdays through Sundays. On Wednesday, I google "estate sales 48025" (my zip code), and there are several sites that list them and include pictures.

If the sale is close by, lists tools, and has pictures that shows woodworking tool potential (a bench plane, hand saw, chisels, etc), I'll try to get to it as soon after it's open as possible. If you see good potential, try to see if they are located in a basement or garage and head there first. Hand tools tend to go quick here...

One thing I learned from "professional" estate buyers (most likely resellers), is once you're in, grab everything you see that you might want. Then sort through it, and put back what you don't want.
    Good practical advice Phil...thanks..Makes sense..
    i will try next week and let you know...several of my WWing friends have also said Estate Sales are very good source..
    Now the puzzle is being made clearer...Thanks for your help,
    Jerry
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    My favorite source for used tools (hand and power tools) is the classified section here on the creek. I like dealing with Creekers.

PHM

Hi Jerry, I know it's not much help to you, but my easiest and best results have been at tool auctions. Here in NH we are fortunate to have Donnelly's Live Free or Die auctions in September and in April each year. They last for 2 days with about 1000 lots of user tools on Fridays and between 500-700 collector lots on Saturday. Concurrent with this is the tailgating session in the parking lot both days with amateur and small scale dealers setting up tables and selling their wares. It does require that you be there in person because the photographic preview on Donnelly's website hides numerous flaws in the tools and his grading of the tools is somewhat "optimistic" as are his expectations of the expected price to be realized. Nothing can substitute for a thorough hands on examination of the lots during the time allowed for previewing on Thursday night and early in the morning on Friday and Saturday. Rarely will you have the chance to see so many tools in one location.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Jerry, If you are on facebook you might want to "add" a few estate sellers as they always advertise pretty heavily and show pictures of what is for sale a few days before. You can also email them and let them know you're always looking for tools. Many times they'll reach out to you if a good sale comes along.

Some of my best deals have been in pawn shops. I found a complete set of marples blue handle chisels made in England that were new and got them for 20 bucks. I love digging through to find stuff. My mother is into antiques and she told me about this new antique store that had some tools, found a #7 keenkutter plane and a couple of disston saws. I always try to keep my eyes open and 20 bucks in my pocket,good luck.