Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly 8" wet grinder or Worksharp WS3000

Grizzly 8" wet grinder or Worksharp WS3000

Have a chance to buy a Grizzly 8" wet grinder #10097 with a Tormek gouge jig which sells for $89. Guy wants $125 for it.

OR

Until I saw the Griz grinder was thinking of buying a new Worksharp 3000 which is about $200. I see that Worksharp has a new tool bar that will accept certain Tormek jigs, which is pretty interested.

I sharpen mostly chisels, plain irons and turning tools. Any advise on which to purchase will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have the grizzly 8". It works well for chisels and plane irons. I use the wet wheel and the leather strop wheel until the wire edge falls off, then finish with an Ark. stone followed by a Tsu stone - both with water/ nagura stone slurry.

No experience with the worksharp.

I had a different experience with my 8" grizzly. The stone was not concentric to the center and the jig would not hold a chisel/iron square to the surface of the stone. I was able to get it functional but its somewhere in my shed with no intention of being dug out. The worksharp is a far superior option IMO.

I like the Worksharp better, especially if you build the caddy.

I have noe experience with the Grizzly 8" wet grinder or the Tormek but I do have the WS300. The WS3000 is worth every penny to me. I can now shave with my chisels now. I only sharpen chisels though. I don't sharpen plane irons, planeer blades etc. I will have to look into the new tool bar.

I like the Worksharp 2000. Build or buy the platform. Last, buy 'Chinese diamond lapidary discs' (instead of sandpaper) on an auction site. They last forever.

I use my WS for regrinding bevels and now prefer stones for honing - but only because I freehand which is faster for me on stones (freehanding is very tricky on the WS even with a wide mortise chisel.

I would either get the leather stropping wheel for WS, or even cheaper, make your own and free hand a couple swipes after the 3000 / 6000 on the WS. Stropping has reduced my time at the WS and my stones, which decreases the maintenance you have to do on either.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-30-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Blog Entries
    +1 what Cary and Prashun said.

Buy both, keep the Tormek jig, sell the Griz.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I just bought a WS3000 on EBAY for $185 shipped, pm me if interested and I can give you the sellers info.

I have both and prefer the wet sharpener. I think it's faster and I prefer to strop without a power tool. I think i get a sharper edge too. Admittedly I have more experience with the wet sharpener than the WorkSharp.
    Gary

The WorkSharp 3000 is pretty easy and fast on chisels 2 inches or smaller. Never used the Giz as I own the WS3000.

I had the Harbor Freight Tools version of the wet sharpener (they no longer sell it) until I bought a WS3000. The wet sharpener is long gone.

John

I had the Worksharp 3000 and personally did not like it. I now have the Tormek T-8 and absolutely LOVE IT! The Grizzly w/Tormek jig is quite similar to my Tormek. When I got the Tormek, I figured that I would have to finish up on my Hard Black Arkansas from Dan's, but that is not the case. The way my chisels come off the grindstone, and then the strop wheel, is incredible. My chisels are sharper than I have even gotten them before. And it's FAST. I just can't say enough good things about the Tormek. And like I said, the Grizzly is very similar. So for me, the decision would be simple.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I have the Worksharp and have never used the Grizzly. I did use arkansas stones and water stones prior to getting the Worksharp and I also have a motorized wet stone (but not the Grizzly). I think the WorkSharp is the best system I have used. It has multiple grits so you can do rough grinding of the angle (or removing a chip) but you can also put the final edge on the tool. My motorized wet wheel is one grit so it is neither great at coarse or fine sharpening. I also have the knife attachment for my WorkSharp and that works well too. I haven't used the slotted wheels for free-hand sharpening of lathe tools but I am confident they will also work well. I don't think the WorkSharp is majic but it does make the less pleasurable task of getting tools sharp easier and quicker. I am not in the market for any other system.

I've used the WorkSharp 3000 and the Tormek (which is similar to the Grizzly). For my use, the WorkSharp does a much better job, and it's dry. Wet sharpening makes a mess.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.