Thread: Something new

I've been doing a bit more spindle turning than usual lately. This is my first attempt at ravioli rolling pin. It's a bit rough as it's just a working prototype. I want to make sure it works as intended before getting into the bubinga or purple heart.
    This one is walnut and maple with walnut oil for a finish. One process pic just for posterity's sake.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brian zawatsky; 09-29-2016 at 10:22 PM.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Well THAT's interesting! I'd be interested in how well it works. I may need to make one for My Lovely Bride. She likes to go to Italy and take cooking classes. She told me just now it is hard to cut out ravioli squares evenly by hand. I showed her your pictures and the first thing she asked was when I was going to make hers!

JKJ

I can't take any credit for the design; my wife and I were in a Williams-Sonoma store a few months ago and I saw a similar one there. I took a few mental notes at the time, but I'm unsure of the working dimensions. Think I may have made the coves a bit too shallow (I like plump ravioli!), but that's why it's a practice run.
    I've never made ravioli personally. My stepfather is Italian and a very good cook, and occasionally makes his own pasta. I thought it would make a nice Christmas present for the guy who doesn't need anything.
    I'll let you know how it works out when I get a chance to test it.

Wow Brian great work! I've turned some French rolling pins but now you have the wheels in my head spinning. Thanks for the inspiration!

Looks pretty cool. Are you going to add typical rolling pin handles on the ends? They could be maple too. I like the contrast between the walnut and maple. Nice work!

Thanks guys. I wasn't planning on adding handles to this one. Something to consider though.

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    I've been doing a bit more spindle turning than usual lately. This is my first attempt at ravioli rolling pin. It's a bit rough as it's just a working prototype. I want to make sure it works as intended before getting into the bubinga or purple heart.
    This one is walnut and maple with walnut oil for a finish. One process pic just for posterity's sake.
    Would love to see it in action after you have it perfected

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Stadler View Post
    Would love to see it in action after you have it perfected
    If I can find a couple extra hours this afternoon I'm going to give it a run. I'll keep you posted!

Made some butternut squash ravioli in a roasted red pepper cream sauce today. Been a long time since I was able to spend a day in the kitchen and not be in a hurry. I forgot how much I enjoy it!

The prototype ravioli pin worked pretty well. Just need to make the dividing strips wider on the next one to provide more sealing area around each ravioli. Had to pinch a bunch closed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job, keep working on it , you'll get it perfected. So cool.