Thread: 1/4 oz Hammer, Because why not?

1/4 oz Hammer, Because why not?

Here's a little one I made, most of the typical luthier's hammers you buy are within the 8-9oz range, I needed something VERY light that could be used to tap apart stubborn wooden guitar/violin pieces without applying too much force or denting the instrument. This is a stupidly simple design but it works for what I need. Made from ash scrap and oak.

I don't know if it actually weighs a 1/4oz but it's almost weightless in the hand.

It would be nice to tell us the size or put some common objects in the picture to help us gauge the size. I would guess it's way more than 1/4 ounce though, but it looks good!

That looks handy!

I get a lot of use out of small hammers. I have one with replaceable heads so I can use plastic, steel, or brass as needed. Another hammer is just a rod knurled in the center - sometimes it is easier to tap than swing.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    It would be nice to tell us the size or put some common objects in the picture to help us gauge the size. I would guess it's way more than 1/4 ounce though, but it looks good!
    Whoops! Big duh on my part. Yes it's most likely more than a 1/4 ounce it just doesn't feel like any is in your hand hardly when you use it. The 1/4 ounce part was more sarcasm than anything