Thread: Vaccuum Table Recommendation

Vaccuum Table Recommendation

My partner and I were looking at getting avacuum table for cutting some thing sheets on our laser 12x18 chinese and were wondering if anyone had any experience with the chinese models on ebay and if there were any tips or what to look for - what not to look for.

Thanks in advance

Darren

Blog Entries
    Darren,

Do you really need a vacuum table? Remember the laser is not exerting any force on the material. Your only issue is if you need to use the air assist and that is causing the material to move.
    If the material is relatively thin and your honeycomb table is steel you can use magnets. I prefer N52 magnets and get mine from kjmagnetics.com They carry a 1/2"x1/2"x1" or 2" magnet that will hold pretty thick material to the honeycomb and clear your lens cone on a typical 2" lens setup.

One caution on magnets. If you have kids or pets around they can be dangerous. N52 magnets are wicked strong and if allowed to slam together they can badly pinch skin or even shatter and damage an eye. Plus if 2 or more are swallowed they can end up with tissue between them which will lose its blood supply and can cause gangrene. Big time bummer in a child's or pets stomach, and difficult for most doctors to diagnose. So if you use magnets small enough to swallow keep them under tight control, and keep control of any N52 due to the danger of them slamming together. They are a huge help around the laser though.

I made my own vacuum table for my CNC. I have never felt the need for one on my laser. I cut paper, thin polycarb, lexan, veneers, ply, etc. I can use the magnets to hold down 3/8" ply with a light to modest warp on it.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

David,

Thanks for the information - I never thought of using magnets great idea -I'll give it a try -

Thanks again

Darren

Blog Entries
    You bet Darren!

If you think of it, once you try this you might add a note to this thread and let us know if it worked for you and any thoughts you had? Good luck!
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

David Somers set me straight six months ago on the N52's from KJmagnetics, and I owe a debt of gratitude to him. Way to Go Dave !!! Still gotta keep them buggers away from each other by at least 8 inches.

Vacuum table hold down that is marketed for lasers is a bunch of crap. Maybe 1 pound per sq ft. Can't compare to 67 lbs from a half inch N52.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.