Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are radial arm saws worth anything these days?

Sliding miter saws have rendered them obsolete mostly due to safety and portability. Also, a Xcut sled can do most things an RAS does more safely.

The problem is typical saw (CM, Ridgid, etc) is 1) woefully underpowered 2) horrible at keeping settings and 3) cheaply built. I have a Ridgid which I use and I scratch my head everytime I read of someone who loves these saws because all you have to do is tap them and you're recalibrating the saw.

The old iron Dewalt/AMF saws are great if you can find one but the problem with them will be 40-60 year old motors.

Other than that, any modern RAS worth its salt is far too expensive to warrant in a hobby shop.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 10-02-2016 at 8:44 AM.

Have a 10" Craftsman that I bought new in 1978 when we built our home. Added an extension table for it and cut all of the framing for the house. Put it up for sale once and wife asked why I was selling it. Could not answer the question, so now I keep it in the garage out of the way. I use it mostly for dadoes on 4" x4" deck posts for the occasional deck job. Worth more to me than what someone would pay for it. My two grandson's may enjoy it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I would have a DeWalt MBF or an OMGA if I had a large shop.
    I feel the same way...if I had a larger shop and could acquire one of the "really good ones", then I can think of a number of operations that would be convenient to feed to that saw. But for the pile of mass-produced, mediocre RAS out there...no way would I be interested.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    You can buy 12" Delta RAS for $75-$200 all day on many Craigslist. There accurate....

My 1030 round arm sees much use. I like it far more than my Hitachi 12" SCMS. IMO the advantage of a SCMS over a properly set up RAS is portability to a worksite. The advantages of a 10" or larger RAS over a SCMS are myriad with capacity being one of the more important issues. Dados and rabbets are gravy on a RAS as well, it's nice to have a clear view of the cutting line. I find my RAS does a better job of "nibbling" if I need to cut just a hair off as well.
    To each their own however. As far as the original question of value, there are many out there for cheap, so value is set by the buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    You can buy 12" Delta RAS for $75-$200 all day on many Craigslist. There accurate....
    I sure wish that were true of the Craigslist in my area. Where I live, those are the asking prices for the newer Craftsman models, and the Deltas and DeWalts are rare as hens' teeth.
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    I never really understood the pricing in North Alabama. I was a cabinet maker in Florence Alabama for years in the 80's. As far as I know, as I check from time to time that cabinet makers still don't make any money there and used tools are still high.

I've got a second Delta 12" up for sale on craigslist and they won't bite here and the pricing is reasonable....

I'm still looking for a woodworking assistant/apprentice in Kansas city. Pays $18hr. One year still no results. That's considered good money in Florence...
    Last edited by jack duren; 10-02-2016 at 2:11 PM.

The quality cast iron and highly precise machining of the old dewalt saws is really hard to beat.

I haven't found an SMCS that doesn't deflect at least a little.

I think dust collection is actually better on a RAS, as long as you only use it for vertical cross cuts and miters (not ripping!). You can build a mostly enclosed box right behind the blade, whereas the area right behind the blade in an SMCS is obstructed by the pivot mechanism of the saw.

I have a Dewalt MBF, and I do agree with the previous poster who said the saw is underpowered. I will probably trade up to a bigger machine at some point.

I have a Craftsman 12" RAS that I bought in the 70's. I have a planer attachment and sanding attachment that I used before I got a planer and drill press. I use the saw almost everyday and would never be without it.

I loaned my RAS to my uncle about 20 years ago, he's still got it and I haven't missed it.

I restored a Dewalt MBF and then sold it when I found a DeWalt GWI. I sold the GWI earlier this year for what I paid for it several years ago. It didn't get used all that much and tied up space(and money) that I needed for other tools. There are some things that they excel at but there are other ways to do it. If I had a huge shop I would have one with a 12 or 14 inch blade and a large crosscut. I see a ton of Craftsmans on CL out here and a few of the MBF and MBC. Most areoverpriced at $100-200.

I have an old Ryobi RAS that has been recalled due to cracking of the motor housing. Mine is fine but I use a negative hook blade so it doesn't grab. I have it on a long bench at the same height as my 12 in non-slider CMS. They share the same fence with stops. Up to 8 inch and angles are cut on the CMS. Wider cross cuts are done on the RAS. I have to twist a little to the left and as long as I do, the cuts are square. It is also handy sometimes for dados.

I thought about a slider when I was setting up the new shop but the bench space required, even for the Bosch articulating arm, is too much. I'm sure they're nice on a job site but in a shop, you need a REALLY deep bench to use a slider. My little RAS will work with the same depth as the 12 inch Hitachi non-slider leaving me room to get a car in the shop garage.

I don't think that typical RAS are more prone to deflection than typical sliders. Both can be pulled off course. Both work fine with the right blade and good technique.

I have a Delta-Milwaukee MX2 series 12/14" RAS, and a DeWalt MBF 9" saw. I'll probably sell the DeWalt, even though it's a nice little saw, but the Delta is going to anchor the long wall of my new shop and take the place of my Bosch SCMS which I despise. I've used radial arm saws since high school (early 80's) and I find that a properly adjusted saw with the correct blade is a joy to use.
    Last edited by Jon Endres; 10-03-2016 at 8:11 AM. Reason: Typo
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

My 1979 Craftsman RAS had adequate power but wouldn't stay in alignment. My restored DeWalt MBF was highly accurate but slightly underpowered. My restored DeWalt GWI mounted in a wall is a dream. Its highly accurate, has adequate power and very good dust collection. My Bosch SCMS is like my dog. It sits in the corner waiting for a road trip.

I think it was my insurance guy that said "there's no small accidents on a radial arm saw".