Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona woodworking and scorpions

Arizona woodworking and scorpions

Hello, I'm moving to Arizona in two weeks and will be eventually setting up shop in the garage. I've been doing some reading on scorpions and they like to sit in wood piles, apparently. I'm bringing lots of lumber with me and am a bit worried about this.

What do you AZ woodworkers do to combat this?

Don't live in AZ any longer, but can tell you that scorpions aren't the only potential threat. You also need to be careful of the brown recluse and black widow spiders. Outdoors you can add a few more poisonous species to the list. The desert can be great in the winter, but seasoned Arizonans will tell you, don't put your fingers anywhere that you can't see. Good luck with your move.

Wear gloves and keep a short stick with you for smashing or flicking critters away.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Aww just put those things on a stick and cook em up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have lots of em here in central tx. Never saw one I'm my milled lumber. Only in woodpiles of firewood outdoors. In 35 years I've only been stung once. It was like a wasp sting.

Get one of the new LED underwater dive lights, that are really low cost now days, that have a UV light built in, and you will discover that scorpions are one of the few land based critters that fluoresce under UV due to their green fluorescent proteins.
    I was one of the early pioneers of biofluorescent night diving (DrDichro on youtube) when I had a custom made UV filter on my 1750 lumens HID light. It made corals light up like christmas trees underwater - literally. Anemones which are tan color all the sudden have glowing green/yellow tips on their tentacles and lettuce lea coral (brown in white light) suddenly explode with brilliant green. Occasionally you see red and orange fluorescence.

The movement sparked, and now many dive ops offer UV night dives because the availabity of low cost UV LED lights (my HID cost over 700), so you are sure to find many better options to see the scorpions at night. I just looked, and my light is a VastFire 4000 lumen light I paid 68 bucks for, but I just saw a few non-diving lights with more UV power for under 40 bucks.

You will have great fun finding those evil crabwasps from hell. Been stung once on a dive trip in FL, and it hardly hurt at all - must not have envenomated me very much.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

I live in Arizona, have my "shop" in my garage and store my wood in my garage on racks. I have scorpions in my yard but rarely in the garage. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

Jim

Thanks for the replies.

Jim, do you spray anything? I have two young girls and a small dog so my worries extend even more because of them.

Here in AR I haven't seen many scorpions, but spiders abound, especially brown recluses. I find them in my shop regularly and occasionally in my home office, which is a a separate section of my shop building. Sometimes I'll shuffle my feet under my desk and a couple minutes later I'll spot one climbing up the wall behind my monitor. Eek!

Over the spring I spent a lot of time cleaning the shop and getting things in order and I found that they much prefer a messy shop. I guess there just aren't as many friendly places to hide when it is clean. While the shop was clean, spiders were few and far between. I let it go over the summer and they moved back in so I'm on a mission to evict them again in the next couple of weeks.

I would assume scorpions behave similarly. Clean shop = fewer places to hide and less opportunities to find food. But it's a quandary - I've always heard you can't trust a man with a clean shop

My setup is similar to Jim Colombo. Have never been stung but they occasionally get in the shop/garage and even in the house, eek. Never reach blindly for something and shake out your shoes. They are usually out at night. You can find them with a black light. I have young grand daughters running around with no issues. Also have 6.5 lb yorkie, never an issue, but never leave small animals alone. Besides scorpions, I have had snakes, owls, bobcats, coyotes and even hawks eyeing my pets.
    Lori K

Don't worry about it. I do not think you'll have an issue. Some neighborhoods have no scorpions, and the next street over can have them. Someone told me scorpions have been living in underground colonies since prehistoric times. Sometimes construction or pool excavation can disturb them. If you find them around your house, spray the entire exterior perimeter of the house, and yard wall with a product called CY-Kick. You can find it online. It's a professional grade pesticide. I don't like to use pesticides inside the house, but if you use this product around the exterior, it will repel scorpions and most other pests. Go heavier around doors and thresholds. If you do this treatment every 3 months in the summer and maybe once during the winter, I think it will resolve the problem, if you have one that is.

I had scorpions in my last neighborhood, but not in my current one.

Most desert creatures are very good at avoiding humans. They don't want to encounter you any more than you want to encounter them. Tell your kids to be attentive. If they step on one in bare feet, they will get stung. My kids have never been stung. I've been stung once in 38 years and like the other guy said, it was like a wasp sting.

I had a neighbor that was obsessed with scorpions. She bought one of those blacklight flashlights from the hardware store and would hunt around her yard at night like Charles Bronson in Death Wish where he was hunting criminals at night. She would catch them with this really long pair of tweezers. I never was quite sure what she would do with each night's haul. I should have told her about CY-Kick, but to tell you the truth I was a little intimidated by her once I saw the lengths she was willing to go in her war on the scorpions so I kept my distance too.

I think you already know this, but don't store your lumber outside in Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn de Souza View Post
    Someone told me scorpions have been living in underground colonies since prehistoric times. Sometimes construction or pool excavation can disturb them.
    There must be something to that. I built homes in Texas, and for 4 years there would be scorpions on the ceiling in the spring, and then they were gone. Thought it was strange.

Thanks Glenn. I have read about Cy-Kick and have it on my Amazon wish list ready to be purchased for when we make it over there

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Przybylski View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Jim, do you spray anything? I have two young girls and a small dog so my worries extend even more because of them.
    I don't spray, but I spread diatamacious (sp) earth (bought at pool supply stores) along the perimeter of my fence. They won't cross it so that keeps them out. I don't put it near the house because of my dogs. Since I had a lot of them I go out at night with a black light and kill all the ones I find.
    I hadn't heard of Cy-Kick so I talked to my exterminator and he said he knew of nothing that would work on scorpions unless it is applied directly to the exoskeleton. However, I'm going to look into that stuff more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    Since I had a lot of them I go out at night with a black light and kill all the ones I find.
    How do you kill them? Can you just step on and squash them like spiders? Or is there a special way of killing these guys? What's the best way to pick one up (with what tooling, I'm def not trying to pick it up with my hands) if I find one in my shop in a place where I can't kill it easily?