Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Holding - Thin Panels for Smoothing?

Work Holding - Thin Panels for Smoothing?

I was working yesterday on tuning up my band saw in preparation for some frame and panel stuff I'll be building soon. I don't have a belt or drum sander and the panels are right on the edge of what is safe to send through my planer. I decided to try leveling them with my freshly sharpened Veritas #4. It worked well, except for actually holding it solid. I tried clamping it in between a dog and my end vise. The panel was so thin (1/4") though, it was tough to get a grip on it. If I tightened it too much, it would flex up in a slight curve.

What's the proper way to hold a thin panel for planing? I thought about a batten clamped across the bench, but it would have to be thinner than the panel.

I don't know if it is the "proper" way, but your idea of using a thin piece of stock as a stop is what I do. If I need to thin a strip of something (like a batten to use for a stop), I sometimes clamp one end, and plane away from the clamp with a block plane, then flip it around and even up the end I had clamped, or you can just cut it off if your piece is long enough.

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thin stop + doublestick tape! (That's how they did it in the 17th century, according to my sources. )

Glenn: I love the screw-in-the-bench-dog idea; somehow I never want to put a screw right in my benchtop, and this is a nice work around.
    Last edited by John Crawford; 10-02-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Double dog rows in my bench and the tail vise allow me to work panels as you describe with no trouble. If you don't have a second row of dogs simply clamp a , 1/4" batten across your bench to trap the panel between the tail vise and the batten.

If you have the time and space create a jig. I did not.... I used double sided tape and release it with alcohol.

I use a scrap of 3/16 or so plywood they sell as underlayment in Home Depot. Usually I just but the scrap against something, sometimes I clamp it down. Never have had a need for a tape, but I do not do this often. Panel does not have to be that precise anyways as long as the edges fit in the groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lester View Post
    I was working yesterday on tuning up my band saw in preparation for some frame and panel stuff I'll be building soon. I don't have a belt or drum sander and the panels are right on the edge of what is safe to send through my planer. I decided to try leveling them with my freshly sharpened Veritas #4. It worked well, except for actually holding it solid. I tried clamping it in between a dog and my end vise. The panel was so thin (1/4") though, it was tough to get a grip on it. If I tightened it too much, it would flex up in a slight curve.

What's the proper way to hold a thin panel for planing? I thought about a batten clamped across the bench, but it would have to be thinner than the panel.
    If you are just smoothing it down, place the panel on something non-slip, or use clamps at the near end. Then work with scrapers.

This 1/4" thick panel was heavy enough to stay put.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm getting ready to make some new dogs and may have to try the screw idea!

I dislike planing INTO a stop when stock is thin. I prefer to clamp one end or one side, and plane away from the clamp. There's usually a way to do it so you never have to go against the grain.

I plane thin stock against a planing stop. Mine is about 1/4" thick screwed to a thick block I clamp in my vice. I rarely find I need to plane stock thinner than my stop. If I did, I suspect I would just make a thinner one, but I doubt you could make one thinner than 3/16", and have it be strong enough.
    Paul

Make a couple of doe's toe's or deer toe's and clamp them to opposing corners. Use material the same or lessor thickness of the piece you are trying to smooth.

There called doe's feet sorry here is a link to Schwarz: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...-traction-foot

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hart View Post
    There called doe's feet sorry here is a link to Schwarz: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...-traction-foot
    First I've heard of those, I'll have to make some.

Nice idea Glenn. Thanks!