Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plane ID

Plane ID

My son found this plane at an estate sale and sent a couple of pictures. Looks like a low angle block plane with an adjustable mouth, but a little larger than my current era block planes. There does not appear to be any manufacturer's mark or model identification. Although I have a selection of modern planes, I have no experience with early planes so am looking for additional information.

Any opinions on age or ID?

Also, I am puzzled by a couple of features. I have not seen the toggle holding the cap iron before, and presume that tightens the cap iron. Is that a common feature on older block planes where mine have a thumb wheel under handle at the rear of the cap iron? What does the brass thumb wheel at the rear of the plane do? Seems like tension on the lever would lift the blade off the bed. Also looks like a lever at the rear (with the loop end) might adjust the blade's lateral position. That is a feature not found on my modern block planes.

Perhaps it's not a block plane, but a small low angle smoother without a tote.

Thanks for your opinions and answers.

Tom

Untitled3.jpgUntitled2.jpgthreequarter.jpg

I have that same plane knocking around- I think the blade is marked Dunlap. I always assumed it was just a block plane.

-Michael

Made by Sargent, Their version of a Stanley #9-1/2 block plane. There MIGHT by a number under the capiron...706?

Brass wheel set the depth of cut.
    "Toggle" is Sargent's version, since Stanley patented theirs.

Lever the wheel moves has a pair of "teeth" that engages grooves in the underside of the blade. The bolt takes the place of the bar that goes across on the #110 style of cap iron.

Looped lateral lever, it is attached TO the blade, there is a "fork" at the other end, that goes against the bolt through the cap iron.

IF you loosen the brass knob out in front, there is a lever under it to open or close the opening of the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Made by Sargent, Their version of a Stanley #9-1/2 block plane. There MIGHT by a number under the capiron...706?
    Total nitpick, but that plane doesn't have a cap iron. I think you meant to write "lever cap" :-)

Those are called cap irons. They also serve as chipbreakers. Single iron, the cap iron does double duty. Some have that "bottle cap" tensioner while the better ones use this style.

Oh, oh, I sense another total thread derail coming....

Nice little block plane. Clean 'er up and put it to work.

I do have a fondness for the Stanley Lobster Back Block Planes.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 10-03-2016 at 9:42 AM.

SDC15772.jpg
    Brass knob one is a ( made for Great Neck) Stanley #9-1/2, the one beside it is a ( made for Craftsman) Sargent #206
    SDC15775.jpg
    Lateral levers. Top is a Stanley, bottom is by Sargent
    Either underneath the cap iron, or under the iron itself, there is usually the model number stamp. There was a 207, and this 206. One with an adjustable mouth, one not.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 10-03-2016 at 9:30 PM.

I'm pretty sure my Stanley looks very similar to that. I'll look tomorrow and post a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Total nitpick, but that plane doesn't have a cap iron. I think you meant to write "lever cap" :-)

Patrick, for the win!

LC-1.jpg
    (click to enlarge)

Have always called them cap irons....Chart is for a Stanley plane, NOT a Sargent Co. plane...sorry about that.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 10-05-2016 at 2:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    nit pickers

Joe to be absolutely correct, the terminology will vary both with the company and the country. Take the US main battle rife of WWI, the Model of 1917, commonly called the Enfield ,during WWII Canada after giving Britain 100,000 303s, Canada bought 100,000 of the 30.06s for home guard use. In the Canadian Army they were referred to both in the manual and listing, as the P-17.One of mine with the Canadian army cartouche Cbroadarrow is obviously a P-17!

Hi Ray
    In your example, are they not both rifles? -- aren't you really discussing model numbers?
    You wouldn't call one a pistol and the other a rifle, would you?

At any rate, what I did what offer some concrete proof that they are called lever caps.
    Secondly, my post was only offered in response to Mr Holmes' post on nitpicking.