Thread: Painted Front drawers - material dilemma

Painted Front drawers - material dilemma

Hello, I just finished 4 bookcase/cabinets. My first REAL project. I have used some doors (shaker style) from my kitchen remodel and installed them as inset doors. Now I have 6 drawer boxes already built that need the front piece. I am not good at dado and such so I was thinking about making slab drawers. 4 are 13wx9h and 2 are 26wx9h. I was not envisioning to spend a lot of money (basement) but the rest is so nice that I want to look good and last. I have had pieces of pine that warp and I am not sure I want to go with pine. Any suggestion? I will not be using a router but I can sand the edges to replicate the small radius on the other doors. What material should I use? They will be painted. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Poplar or Maple are woods that can be painted that are relatively low cost.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

MDF paints very well, too, and is really cheap. Fill the cut edges with drywall compound. It will look ugly, but after you sand it smooth it will paint beautifully. The best option for painting is to use something like BIN pigmented shellac based primer first to prevent the MDF from swelling.

John

Since I pretty much only do inset doors/drawers, I've used poplar as solid stock as well as plywood with an applied edge for drawer fronts successfully. While I don't typically use MDF, John's technique does work very well in my experience. The edges of an MFD drawer front are a bit more susceptible to dings and I'd be wary of using this material in an area where there is regular moisture. I made that mistake years ago when I used it for the panels in Shaker style doors in my kitchen and despite being "sealed" with finish, over time I got some swelling where steam and other moisture was prevalent. I'm more inclined to use cabinet grade plywood at this point and either treat the edges in the same way John suggests for MDF or edge band before finishing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks so much for your answers. May I send the edges of the MDF? The doors have a radius (very little) and I am trying to match the front of the drawers.

Sure, you can sand the edges of MDF. Just be aware that if you put a radius on the edges they will be "thirsty" just like the cut edge, and you will want to treat them with drywall compound, too.

John

Sorry, I tried to edit but I could not. So, I will "sand" first to make the edges, then use compound to cover the edges and then sand it off . Can I nail (nail gun 18g) the front to the drawer box? Any other way to attach to the drawer box? The drawer box was made out of pre-finished 1/2 drawer sides. I have only one knob and I am concerned the front will move. May sound a stupid question, sorry I am still learning.

Maple IMO is ideally suited for drawer fronts and would be my first choice for your project. It's easy to mill, has tight end grain that sands super smooth and paints wonderfully, is harder therefore will resist dings better than the other 2 materials mentioned. MDF would be my last choice for the reasons given above. Why go through all of the added work of prepping MDF edges?

You asked about shooting 18g nails to attach MDF to boxes. Yes you can do it but be prepared for the MDF mushrooming around the nail head...more added work sanding it smooth.

Poplar is also easy to work with but it's much softer than maple and dings quite easily. In addition poplar face grain will telegraph through the paint.

On a project that small the cost difference between the different materials is a nit.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Yes, I think the best is Maple. I will buy only what I need which is only 9 feet x 10" wide. For the MDF I will have to buy a sheet 4x8' which means a lot of left over and too much sanding. However the problem is to find a decent source for the maple. I tried the big box and no boards are straight. Thanks for your input

Don't attach the drawer fronts from the front, no matter what material you use for them. Open about any kitchen or dresser drawer and you will see the fronts are attached to the drawer box with screws from the inside.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Don't attach the drawer fronts from the front, no matter what material you use for them. Open about any kitchen or dresser drawer and you will see the fronts are attached to the drawer box with screws from the inside.
    And with good reason...easily removable if necessary without any visible sign of attachment from the "business end" of the drawer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...