Thread: Bandsaw advice

Bandsaw advice

My Old Delta 28-245 bandsaw has a broken lower blade guide assembly, which of course, is no longer available. I found one on eBay but it was over $100. I really think that it is time to buy a new saw rather than continue to search for the guide assembly.

I have 4 saws that I have done research on and hope that those of you who already own one of these models will give me some advise. I am not concerned about rip fences as I already have a Kreg fence. I really do not see me doing any resawing, so the resaw capacity is not too important. I have numerous, and I mean numerous, Timberwolf 93 1/2" blades on hand.

I mostly make adirondack chairs and porch rockers. I just do it at my large home workshop as I have sold my business and no longer have any employees.

SAWS:

Grizzly GO555, 1 HP, aluminum wheels, 93 1/2" blades (6" resaw) $634 delivered

Jet JWBS 14CS 1HP, aluminum wheels, 93 1/2" blades (6" resaw) $749 delivered

Grizzly G0555X 1.5 HP, cast iron wheels, 93 1/2" blades (but 6 1/2" resaw) $938 delivered

Jet JWBS 14DXPRO 1.25HP, cast iron wheels, 105" blade (12 resaw) $999 delivered

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Grizzly GO555X 1,5HP cast iron wheels 105" blades $938 delivered
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 10-04-2016 at 8:13 PM.

While I don't own any of those saws but do have a 14" and a 20".If I had a do over I would go straight for the 20" either new or used if my pockets were deep,but I always shop used due to my budget but am very happy with my used 20" as if it were new.I believe that the bigger table would be a big benefit for you.Good luck with your choice and let us know what you purchase----Carroll

Check with Ittura design for guide. Over at OWWM you most likely will find someone parting out a saw. Carter make guides to fit your saw, FYI.

Yeah. OWWM. You can get the parts there.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Does it look like the attached? https://www.tufftooth.com/guide-holder.php If so try R&D Bandsaws.

Expand your search a bit. Looks like every one of those saws is Chinese made.

No Doug, it's the whole assembly. There is one on eBay for $110 and I am really getting tempted to spring for it. I mean, what else can go wrong that would need repair. I have motors laying around.

Any chance you can repair the old one? I repaired my upper blade guide holder with JB Weld about 3 years ago thinking it would be a temporary fix until I could find a replacement. Still holding up.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Does it look like the attached?
    His LOWER guide is broken. That's the upper.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dye View Post
    Expand your search a bit. Looks like every one of those saws is Chinese made.
    Yes, but what other options are there in the sub-$1K price range?

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    His LOWER guide is broken. That's the upper.
    On my band saw which is an Asian, clone both the upper and lower guide block holders are the same. The assembly that the holder fits in is different.

Iturra Design does not have these looking in my 2013 catalog,and eparts shows it is discontinued,so its ebay or OWWM or watch CL's each and every day.At OWWM join then post a WTB ad in Boyd but include the model #'s
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Delt...UAAOSw4shX8U~T
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 10-04-2016 at 6:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    On my band saw which is an Asian, clone both the upper and lower guide block holders are the same. The assembly that the holder fits in is different.
    Yes. But his is a USA made Delta. Big difference.
    What Carroll posted is what he wants.

I'm also wondering if it can be repaired. I've greatly expanded my opinion of what can be repaired after adding milling, metal lathe, and various metal cutting and welding methods. Even a casting in pieces can sometimes be brazed to as strong or stronger than the original. Repairing/rebuilding can admittedly be a lot of work even if you have the equipment - all depends on the extent of the damage.

Another option is to find a beat up or junked machine and buy it for parts.

JKJ

Thanks for the advise folks. After much thought and research, I sprung for a Carter Upgrade Kit last night for $179 plus shipping. I've not used guide bearings before, only bushings that came on the Delta, so I am hoping that this will be a fix that is cheaper than a new saw. This kit will have a lower guide bearing mount that will replace the broken Delta one. By the way, I never mentioned in the original post that I put a 2hp motor on this saw that was brand new that I found in my Dad's stuff after he passed away. Not that I have ever had issues with the original 1/2hp, but I figured "why not". I had at that time planned to ad a riser block but never have found a need for that capacity of resawing.
    Thanks again for the advise.