Thread: Kinetic Sculptures - have you ever gave it a go?

Kinetic Sculptures - have you ever gave it a go?

I just came across the works of Derek Hugger and David Roy today. They're amazing, beautiful and so inspiring!

Have you folks ever built something of the sort? Do you know of other kinetic sculptors?

Here are some that I know of:

Theo Jansen: Wind-powered wooden beasts
    Reuben Margolin: Marionetted planar surfaces set into matrices
    Derek Hugger: Abstract, skeleton-watch/gear-driven sculptures
    David Roy: Abstract, gear-driven sculptures

Worth a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxdcj2tLQGE

LOL, now I have eye strain from watching that. Pretty creative and unique and I admire both of those qualities. Too much movement though to live with for very long. I don't see it as the same as watching a camp fire
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

My wife and I were just in San Francisco and Theo Jansen has an exhibit going at the Exploratorium with a number of his "Strand Beasts". Basically, PVC and zip ties. You can push one around. They are crazy. Wouldn't even know how to go about imagining a build for something like that but it's definitely worth seeing in person if you have the chance.

Erik

For me repeating motion of clock work sculpture has a limited appeal but I could live with a large mobile in the manner of Alexander Calder, graceful balanced and moving on wafts of air.

I enjoyed the video. Does he sell any plans?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Enjoyed seeing that. They are evocative as well as interesting ,one of the first seen reminded me so much of seagulls that I imediately put my hat on in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Enjoyed seeing that. They are evocative as well as interesting ,one of the first seen reminded me so much of seagulls that I imediately put my hat on in the house.
    Too funny
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I enjoyed the video. Does he sell any plans?
    David Roy's web site appears to only list completed sculptures at prices between $1800 and $3700.

Dereck Hugger's web site has plans for sale. Prices are between $20 and $100.

You can purchase kits for Theo Jansen's strandbeast. You might be able to reverse engineer a set of plans from it.

Building a kinetic sculpture is an item on my bucket list, but there are a lot of other things getting in the way of making any progress.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    David Roy's web site appears to only list completed sculptures at prices between $1800 and $3700.

Dereck Hugger's web site has plans for sale. Prices are between $20 and $100.

You can purchase kits for Theo Jansen's strandbeast. You might be able to reverse engineer a set of plans from it.

Building a kinetic sculpture is an item on my bucket list, but there are a lot of other things getting in the way of making any progress.

Steve
    Thanks, I'll check out Dereck's site. Ideally I'd like to find cad drawings that I could convert and run on my cnc.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I enjoyed that. Thanks for posting!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”