Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Version of the Laguna Revo 24/36 Lathe

New Version of the Laguna Revo 24/36 Lathe

I saw this ad in the October issue of American Woodturner magazine. It is based on the design improvements of the Revo 18/36. There is no info on the website as of this posting but I contacted Laguna. They said that they are working for availability by the end of the year at a target price of $3799, although that price is just a target at this point. Note that in addition to the size increase, there is also a remote box with On/Off, Emergency Stop, and Speed Adjust.

NEW
    new Laguna.jpg

OLD (Existing)

Last edited by Tony French; 10-05-2016 at 12:16 AM.

Interesting, makes me wonder if they'll ditch their current 20-36 and 24-36 models in favor of this. http://www.lagunatools.com/lathes

Looks similar to the Grizzly G0799 and G0780 which are listed at 24 x 48". I wonder if they are the same mfr?

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Looks similar to the Grizzly G0799 and G0780 which are listed at 24 x 48". I wonder if they are the same mfr?
    The existing Laguna 20/36 and 24/36 (which David linked to) are nearly identical to the G0799 and G0800. Grizzly lists them at 48" because they include the swing away extension as standard equipment. It is also available from Laguna as an add-on accessory. Those lathes have been widely discussed. I posted an ad to a new version of the Laguna 24/36 (I would have named it something different) that is very different and has the design features of the 18/36 - see the picture I posted. Note that as of right now, there is no info on the web about the new version...it is only in the paper ad that I posted a picture of or you can find the ad in the October 2016 issue of American Woodturner magazine. David was then asking if the new lathe will cause Laguna to stop offering the two that he linked to.

Laguna is using "Revo" in naming the new 2436, to distinguish it from the older version. I have no way of knowing, but I would think this is an indication of a different direction for Laguna and that they will phase out prior versions. I can certainly speak highly of the Revo 1836, which shares many of the features of the Revo 2436. The additional new features of the Revo 2436 certainly hint toward a company pursuing a target group that is looking for innovative design.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 10-04-2016 at 7:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Laguna is using "Revo" in naming the new 2436, to distinguish it from the older version. I have no way of knowing, but I would think this is an indication of a different direction for Laguna and that they will phase out prior versions. I can certainly speak highly of the Revo 1836, which shares many of the features of the Revo 2436. The additional new features of the Revo 2436 certainly hint toward a company pursuing a target group that is looking for innovative design.
    It seems like it should be that simple, but the existing ones that have been around for a couple years are called Revo 20/36 and Revo 24/36.

Tony, it seems you are correct on the prior use of Revo in the name. Apparently the manner in which Laguna has marketed the lathes has left me with the impression the name is new. Perhaps that was their intent! Regardless, I do like the modifications.

8. In comparing the two versions of the 2436 Revo in the pics above, it looks like the controls have been moved up to the top of the headstock in the new one, and to me, the bed on the old version looks to have a good bit more mass in it. Mass is your friend on a large lathe, as it dampens vibration. Of course adding ballast is always an option, but if they had made the new configuration and kept the bigger bed, then the best of both might have been achieved.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, as I noted in the review I posted on the Revo 1836, the beds on the new Lagunas are welded steel instead of cast iron. The overall weight of the lathe is significant and a lot of that is in the legs, which are considerably more massive than was the case on my Jet 1642 aided partially by the wider stance. The Jet had a leg stance of 20" and the Revo at 26" - quite a difference. I have not seen the new Revo 2436, but I suspect it is similar in that respect as that seems to be the direction of Laguna with these new designs.

10. Did not realize about the steel bed.....your analysis makes sense, John. I do like the wider stance.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Scratch my post......I was finding the old 24/36 I think. Was trying to dig up specifics on specs.

I like the remote option. Always liked the color combo

I looked at the Laguna lathes in Atlanta this past June at the symposium. There was a guy demonstrating on one in the trade show area. He was turning & coring some pretty good sized bowls some where around 16" dia or so I'd guess. The lathe handled them well. Over all impression was that it looked like a pretty good machine for the price. The only thing that stood out to me was the upright section of the banjo. It seemed poorly designed and looked like it could be a weak spot on a otherwise solid looking machine.
    Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meirhaeghe View Post
    I looked at the Laguna lathes in Atlanta this past June at the symposium. There was a guy demonstrating on one in the trade show area. He was turning & coring some pretty good sized bowls some where around 16" dia or so I'd guess. The lathe handled them well. Over all impression was that it looked like a pretty good machine for the price. The only thing that stood out to me was the upright section of the banjo. It seemed poorly designed and looked like it could be a weak spot on a otherwise solid looking machine.
    Just my 2 cents.
    What is your impression of the banjo?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I'm not sure why someone would buy this lathe over a PM3520B. 2" less swing. 200 lbs less in mass. $200 less? At those prices, you bite the bullet and find the extra $200.

It may also be challenging to find accessories for a lathe with 18" swing when the standard is 16 or 20".
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

I am seeing $2249 for the Revo 18/36 (Rockler) vs $3,999 for the PM3520B. That is $1,750 difference rather than $200. What am I misunderstanding in your post, Brodie?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!