Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Version of the Laguna Revo 24/36 Lathe

Brian I didn't like the banjo. It had a split down the whole length of the upright part of it & looked weak if I remember correctly. IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    What is your impression of the banjo?

The banjo is very solid. The "split" is how it squeezes down on the post of the rest instead of having the turn screw pressing against the rest post. I actually like Laguna's arrangement better. I did note in the review I posted some things I would like to see addressed and those included a couple of minor changes to the banjo. Strength wise, I don't see any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I am seeing $2249 for the Revo 18/36 (Rockler) vs $3,999 for the PM3520B. That is $1,750 difference rather than $200. What am I misunderstanding in your post, Brodie?
    I saw 3799 as the expected price in the original post? Did I cross products? If so, my mistake.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

3799 was for the 24/36 Revo so a 24 inch swing vs Powermatic 20 inch and for 200 less

The Revo 18" swing lathe has a retail price of $2499, $1500 less than the 3520B. The projected retail price of the new 24" swing Revo lathe is $200 less than the 3520, but 4" more swing. Personal experience with the Revo 18" swing lathe shows me a solid, firm clamping pressure for the tool rest from the banjo, without having to crasnk down on the clamping screw.

I seem to have created some confusion. I will see if I can clarify some things by going through the Laguna lathes.

Laguna currently offers 3 large lathes. They are called the Revo 1836, Revo 2036 and Revo 2436. The new Lathe that is coming out is the second version of the Revo 2436. For the sake of trying to clear up the confusion, I am going to append the V1 or V2 to the only lathe in this discussion that has a new model. So the original would be Revo 2436V1 and the new would be Revo 2436V2

Revo 1836:
    list $2500, on sale frequently for $2250
    The Revo 1836 has been out for a while and can be seen in person at Rockler or Woodcraft. I have been looking at it and I am quite impressed with it. It has many nice design features: a polished steel bed, cone shaped headstock, 3 increments of built in indexing, a banjo that clamps along the length of the toolrest post rather than a single point, a bed extension with riser that gets you 32" swing and 56" between centers. You can get very good and detailed reviews of the Revo 1836 at the following locations among others:
    Creek member John Keeton's review of the Revo 1836:
    John Keeton Revo 1836 Review

ToolMetrix Review of the Revo 1836:
    ToolMetrix Revo 1836 Review
    ToolMetrix Revo 1836 Indexing

Review at Canadian Woodworking

Revo 2036
    $3500
    Very similar to the Grizzly G0799
    Nothing changing that I am aware of in the near future with this lathe.

Revo 2436V1
    $4000
    Very similar to the Grizzly G0800
    Have heard good things from a couple of creek members.

Revo 2436V2 (this is the lathe that this whole post was intended to be about)
    Not released, target release by the end of the year, target price $3800.
    I originally found out about this because of the ad (pictured in my original post) for this new lathe in the October 2016 edition of American Woodturner magazine.
    Shares the design features of the Revo 1836. Also added a second control box for ON/OFF, Emergency Stop, and Speed that at least in the ad is mounted to the tailstock.

I had the fortune to do a demonstration at Laguna headquarters this weekend.

I turned on the newest version of the Revo 18/36 and it was very sweet. Stable and smooth with some nice features. This one had swing away for tail stock and bed extension.
    For a lot less money then the Powermatic I would definitely look at this lathe. I can't speak to the Grizzly, but the fit and finish of this lathe is very good and it is incredibly well thought out. There are a few adjustments I would make, (probably same as Keeton's) but nothing that would be a deal breaker.

I didn't use, but got to check out the new Revo 2436.
    If the price is $4000, that is equal to the Powermatic 3520 and almost half the equivalent sized Powermatic.
    Again, some really nice features - pre-threaded for a vacuum chuck, complex indexing wheel, dual control panels (one fixed, one magnetic), really neat holder for a lamp, holder for drives and centers on the tail stock etc.

In my experience, Laguna has done a admirable job of improving their customer service and their new machines are well designed and made. I also used the new 14" bandsaw in my demo and it is a joy to operate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.