Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another shop project?

Another shop project?

Back when I cobbled up a storage case for some auger bits..
    lid.jpg
    These were all the shop had.

Since then, I have added to the total amount.....now there are about 30 or so.

Old box will get recycled into something else. Trying to find ideas about storage for all of the bits on hand.

Then, need a way to store a few that are 16" long.

Lumber supply is mainly Pine. I really don't want to use Oak, as it doesn't play "nice" with things made of steel.

Almost two sets, that run from #4 to almost #20.

With the way this knee is acting, shop time is way down......issues with stairs. More of a planning stage right now.

Ok, I rounded up the second set of bits. There is also a 5 piece set from Hikraft in a roll up pouch. May keep that seperate, as those are marked on the shafts as Hikraft.

There is an extra double flute bit in the pile. I'm sure there are a few others running around loose. A couple gimlet bit, a counter sink bit and a few twist drill bits for braces.

There are 2 @ 16" long #11 bits. One an older with the square end, the other a bit more modern with a hex end. May have to find a different spot for those two. I only have the one expansive bit.

The old case might get a new use....seems I have a few rosewood handled squares and bevel gauges. Might even find a spot for a marking gauge as well. And...even a handforged marking knife.

But, until they fix this knee, I am not going to get much done. Stairs to the Dungeon Shop are a pain to use, and working with sharp objects while I am on pain killers just ain't safe. So, all I can do is sketch on a note pad....

Hi Steven,

Your current box for the auger bits looks great for it's current task, but I am sure you will find another good use for it as well. Custom fitted wooden boxes, especially those with finger joint or dovetail joints look absolutely classy. Maybe I will build some myself, but you never know what time will bring.

Take care of your knee, and I will have to add you to the other guys here that I am praying for. One of my knees will probably need some attention in the, probably near, future as well.

When you get to feeling more chipper we will look forward to the updates on the new bit box. In the mean time it sounds like you will be making a lot of drawing on how to build the box.

They don't look as neat as your box, but I have seen boxes for auger bits that had lift out trays, with the bits running lengthwise down the box. The trays fit inside the box, with one tray stacked on top of the next, about 3 or 4 total trays, I suppose depending on how many bits were in it. One practical advantage to that approach, is you can leave one try empty on the bottom for future expansion. The box was about a square cross section on the end. The other type of bit box for auger bits that I have seen had small pull out drawers, kind of like a tiny chest of drawers with shallow drawers. I didn't like the look of either style of box, as much as I like the flat style box like yours, though.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 10-04-2016 at 9:21 PM.

IF I can figure a way to keep the bits in place a bit better. it may wind up as a "book" where you open it up, and there are bits on both halves. Most metal clips are way too tall, and cost a bit too much for me. May drill out a block to house both main sets. maybe so the shafts slide down into the block. We'll see.

As for this knee...IF I sit too long, it hurts, if I walk too much it hurts. Seems to be some things torn inside, kind of "flapping " around. Awaiting Tri-Care's ok before things get fixed. No replacement is needed...right now.

MRI is scheduled for next Tuesday morning. Then wait a week for the results. Only times I can get in to see both places.

Drill bit box has a new id.....have a bunch of sliding bevel gauges ( Rosewood ones, Stanleys) and a set of the Stanley rosewood squares. All could use a nice place to call "home". May see HOW I can fit all of them in there. Have some thin Walnut scraps....might help out?

Pine for the new drill bit box, as of now. Finger joints for the corners.....or dovetails? Maybe something like this simple box?
    front view.jpg
    And add a tray or two inside? Might be awhile, depending on how much is done to the knee. Not sure how long it will be on the "D.L."

Steven,

The book idea sounds like it could also look pretty good, kind of like your existing box when open, the bits being side by side in the two halves of the open book, with each half looking a lot like your current box when open. Could you build a set up that holds the bits kind of like your existing box, but with a hinged strip that would fold down over the shanks to sort of lock the shanks in place when you want to close the book, the bar going over the tops of the shanks and the undersides of the shanks held in place by at set of two strips that is virtually identical to your current box?

When the two leaves of the book are open, the bits would be in pretty much the same position as they appear in the current box, but with a notched wooden strip over the tops of the shanks just like the notched strips currently set under the bits shanks.

Or maybe a couple of fold down flat plates that piano hinge from the top and bottom of the bottom faces of the sides which would fold down over the tops and shanks of the bits when the box is closed. You open the box like a book, and then can fold open the two flaps to free the books, one wooden flap at the tops of the bits and one at the bottom over the shanks. Your current box has a cover that is hinged kind of like what I am thinking of for the two flaps, but the flaps would be inset, so when you close the box, they would be closed inside the box and not visible. You would have two sets of such strips, one set in each half of the closed book.

Again, the above does not describe what I am thinking of very well, but I am sure you will come up with something nice. Keep us informed about the knee.

Your existing box looks really nicely designed, to my eye. I may eventually copy something like it. I have two sets of auger bits, but one is in a leather roll, and the other in a canvas roll. Both are extremely practical, and in good shape, so I don't know if I will pull them out of the current set up and change things around, but I could see a box like yours if I had a tool chest to put them in, maybe.

Just a thought, and poorly expressed.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 10-06-2016 at 10:54 PM.

Steven,

I went to that auction site and typed in "auger bit" and a number of boxes showed up, so some different designs to chose from.

Stew

Thanks, will take a look, when I can. The "OWWWWIE" factor is ramping up lately.....hope it isn't a "Bridgewater" knee...

Blog Entries
    I use clear plastic shoe boxes from Target to store items like drill bits. They sit on shelves and I can see what's in them.

A different shoe box for each, chisels, gouges, bits, . . . . . . .

MRI was this morning, now the knee is sore. IF it does settle down later, I might wander down to the shop. Starting point will be to make a box to house the bit holders in. After I then make the holders, I can slice the box to fit each holder.

Intend to make it like a "Coffee Table Book" that lies flat. Open the "cover" to reveal the first holder, then turn a page to find another. And so on til I get to the bottom. Each will have their own hinges, and latches. Nothing real fancy, just the wood I have on hand...Pine. I doubt IF one make of Oak would work.....iron vs Tannic acid sort of thing. Two complete sets of bits, plus at least one holder for the "other stuff" ( countersinks, twist bits, expansive bit, maybe a center punch or two? )

Will see the kneedoc next Tuesday to find out what he is planning on doing. I figure I can get a wee bit done in a week.....?

I have three 16" long auger bits to find homes for...they are a might too long for this box...

Snuck down to the shop for awhile, Boss was on the Warpath anyway, nice and quiet down there... Aldi's crosscut saw to make four pieces of Pine 1x6 to size..
    Aldi's saw.jpg
    Dang thing even skipped out and raked me thumb. All four from one 1x6. Planed the edge grain and end grain of each pair. Two are to be sides, two are ends for a box. Millers Falls No.11 seemed to do ok on end grain..
    end grain.jpg
    I plane each way towards the center. Made some fine shavings..
    end grain shaving.jpg
    But,3/4" thick is a bit too thick. I marked a cut line, about 1/2" in from the best face on each board.
    This being a Hybrid shop, a bandsaw was used to try and remove the excess lumber
    bandsaw cut.jpg
    Meh,dull blade. May need to go and BUY a new one...someday. Opened up
    opened up.jpg
    Well, we have ways.
    .jack plane work.jpg
    Stanley No. 5c with the Schwarz Cambered iron. Going straight across. Later, I can bring out the smoother..
    smoothplane No.3.jpg
    Craftsman #3C...aka Millers Falls No.8 ( no C ) Get these as flat as I can , then set them aside for awhile, to see how they move..
    gang of four.jpg
    Reflatten in a day or so, the some hand cut finger joints. I'll make the "outside" of the box first, then add the auger bit holders, I saw the box as needed to fit the holders height. Need to go and buy some hinges and a few latches.

Knee was doing...ok..it was the lower back that was complaining. Bumbled back upstairs, Boss was done with her Warpath thing. Might be safe to head for the computer?
    BTW: "Igor, Clean up on Aisle #1!"

Because.
    shaving pile.jpg
    Just because. Well, this is most of the mess I made..

Might go to the shop again this evening....to see how those four boards are doing. I have to lay out tools and markings, to make finger joints on the ends. I might also have to do a glue up, stock for the bit holders needs to be a wee bit wider than 3-1/2" ......then maybe tomorrow, Boss willing, I can make the holders for the bits. Thinking three levels of holders, right now...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 10-12-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Now, IF I can just get a bit of shop time later. Might take awhile.

Have to wait a week to learn what the MRI found wrong with the knee, and HOW they intend to fix it. The other knee is starting to act up, might be protesting all the attention the other knee is getting?

Next stage, I can at least sit on the shop stool to work. Might give the old back a rest that way, too..

Thanks for sharing the build, Steven. I must say, it's a fairly common occurance that when one knee is injured, the other will get sore. You put more pressure on the good knee to make up for the bad knee. It's doing all the work. By the same token, you're putting more pressure on one side of your pelvic region, which can cause issues in the lower back. So point is, don't end up with two bad knees and a bad back. You may just have to chill out a bit more.

Steven,

Looking forward to see how the build goes, and to see how the design is going to be. From what you have mentioned above, it looks like you picked one of the more difficult designs, if it's what I am thinking of.

Like the others said, take care and don't make the knee worse.

I'm also kind of glad that you mentioned the problem of oak being corrosive toward steel. That has come up before, and it makes sense, but I had forgotten that such was the case. My garage is a mess, and I need to create some tool storage when I get some time. I have some oak, and might have used it. Thanks for the reminder.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 10-12-2016 at 11:51 PM.