Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: My new shop

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    They'll pour it if I want, but I won't get the finish I want. If I meet all the criteria they lay out to get floor I want, it's up to them to deliver.

It's a $45k floor, I'll have to walk on it the rest of my career. I want it to look good.

Hot water, hot sand 1% calcium. Look just like concrete.

Only time winter concrete looks funky is because of blankets on top.

It will be 75 in that building in a hurry with hot water and sand. Calcium discoloration is 99% the batch plants fault.
    Rarely occurs with liquid.

Started pouring concrete when I was 15. Spent too many years of my life doing that year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Hot water, hot sand 1% calcium. Look just like concrete.

Only time winter concrete looks funky is because of blankets on top.

It will be 75 in that building in a hurry with hot water and sand. Calcium discoloration is 99% the batch plants fault.
    Rarely occurs with liquid.

Started pouring concrete when I was 15. Spent too many years of my life doing that year round.

They're the ones pouring it, and the ones that will have to listen to me bitch if it isn't what I want. At this point, it doesn't really matter since I won't have power for a while. I'd just have to heat it while waiting for electricity and that means baby sitting a generator every day, (and on a suitcase that likely means changing the oil daily, along with topping off the tank), and pouring through propane for no reason. Although I think if I pre-measured the oil out, I could likely change it in less than five minutes.

The bulk of the siding is up. I need to look at the paperwork, but I think they sent the wrong siding. I wanted to do a smaller exposure. I was planning on a 5", and I have a 7".... It looks fine, not exactly what I was shooting for, but it's too late now and not worth the hassle. I think I'll have enough siding left over to do about half of my house though. lol Basically I think they sent the correct number of pieces, just in the wider siding, so it's covering more per piece.

The guys are up there on a Saturday getting stuff done.

Now I'm just waiting for things to warm up a bit more and get the floor poured. Yesterday and today were in the forties for temperature, and with the doors open, that's helping push the little bit of frost there is inside out. The rest of the week has highs above freezing during the day so that will be nice too. I'm hoping the beginning of March to get it poured, but we'll see. If road restrictions go on, I'm kinda hosed again until they come off.

Hurry up and get this borin' stuff over with and get onto the MACHINES!

Coming along but I know you wish it was faster, if I could I would send you some of our weather, in the 70s every day for the next couple of weeks.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Hurry up and get this borin' stuff over with and get onto the MACHINES!

Coming along but I know you wish it was faster, if I could I would send you some of our weather, in the 70s every day for the next couple of weeks.

I'm trying!

We had a week of really nice weather. I think we broke a record high on Tuesday. The cement guy was on vacation though, so nothing could be done with the floor. Figures. March 20th I'm going to get that poured. We're likely going to get pasted tonight and tomorrow with snow. I've seen forecasts for up to 18" in the next day and a half. I'm really hoping their wrong, and we get some rain and a few inches of slop. I'm over winter, and this warmer weather hasn't helped that attitude any. I still haven't heard squat from Xcel Energy as to where they're at on the project.

I'm going to have the carpenters get rolling on putting the sheeting up for the interior walls. Just the top row though. The concrete guys are going to demolish anything down low, so there's no point in doing anything there.

This is from yesterday, (2/23/17), all the steel is on and there's just a handful of miscellaneous pieces of siding that need to go on yet.

I need to stop buying machines... Or, I need to stop buy stuff prior to moving in there. I've got stuff stashed everywhere in the old shop, and everywhere I am acquainted with spare floor space, and a forklift. I just bought another Castle Machine on a local auction last week. I wanted to buy two new ones, but I've been hemorrhaging money for so long on this project that it's not a good idea. I need to find a laser for my rip saw too. Most I've looked at have been around $800.

I'm likely going to have to give the floor two weeks to cure before I put anything heavy on it, but I'm looking forward to gathering up all the equipment that I have in storage, and the stuff that has no use here in the current shop and getting it into the new shop. At least I can get one worry off my mind.

I also need to figure something out for the walls that make up the mechanical room, bathroom, and office. I'm kicking around making a siding of sorts to cover that. Just a raised panel scoop on the top edge, and a groove on the bottom to accept the scoop on the next piece. I think the casing that is going to cover the windows, I'm going to paint that same charcoal grey as the steel on the exterior, I might do those walls the same. It'd be nice to have some color of some sort inside, and I'd like to do something cooler than just sheatrock/painted osb/FRP panel.

I'm still up in the air about airlines. I'm leaning towards the blue aluminum pipe.

I also need to get thinking about what I need to order for dust collection parts.

I envy the space you will soon to have!! Drooling!! Although with these short legs of mine, I may grow to hate it after a few weeks due to the increase amount of walking involved.

Glad to see this coming along! Hang in there Martin.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That is one great looking building, Martin!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice shop space... I wouldn't know what to do with all of that space!

The space will get filled very quickly. I have a fair amount of equipment, and it will be spread out appropriately so nothing should be interfering with anything else. I'm slightly concerned about reality versus my model though, as far as how I have things laid out on the model. It's built to scale, but until things are sitting in place it's hard to wrap your head around it. It should be pretty close, but when I stand inside, there's a few things I can't grasp. There's also equipment that I'm hoping to add in the next couple of years.
    A CNC will chew up about 260 sq/ft, which is about 3-4% of the floor space on it's own. Most of the other stuff I want to add is just replacing existing equipment, but has a larger footprint. Like taking a shaper, and replacing it with a small moulder. A much larger planer is needed soon as mine is wearing out. I'm kicking around a three head widebelt instead of the two head that I've got. At some point I need to get an edge bander so I can poach the closet systems from who ever is doing it now in the houses I work on, but that won't happen until I have the CNC. I'll have to add a couple more pop up saws with stops too. Right now there is just one in the face frame area. It'd be nice to have one for cutting door parts, and one for drawers. The first thing I want to axe in the system is the pair of shapers I use for coping door parts, and replace them with a dedicated coper.

I'm hoping things will be crowded again in less than five years.

I'm already planning on putting a 2400 sq/ft addition on, just to rent space to my finisher. That would save me a ton of hassle if he was onsite, and I'm hoping to get that rolling in 2019. We'll see how that goes though.

My pickup has been a black hole that I've been throwing money at for the last year and a half. It's old, has almost 300k miles on it, and I just can't afford to replace it right now, so I just allow the nickel and dime-ing to continue instead of replacing it. I hadn't really paid attention, but my mechanic's shop, is right across the street from the power providers field shop that is running my project. Last Thursday I was picking up my pickup from another round of things failing, so I decided to take a field trip and talk to the engineer working on my project. He's got it all designed, and it just needs to be kicked up a rung for approval, then it goes to another department for the easement process. He was thinking April they'll get juice in there. We shall see. He did have some good news though, with however they calculate my usage, and how quickly they'll make their money back, it's only going to cost me about $3500 to get the service put in. That's a big relief for me. As far as I'm concerned that's free. That'll hold off the night sweats for a bit. I was anticipating at least $10k. Most likely closer to $20k, and in the ether of my brains fear, $40k. So, I'm quite pleased at $3500.

I was also chatting with the concrete guy. They're going to get a laser screed and knock the whole thing out in one day I guess instead of doing it in two separate pours. I like that plan. It should be as flat as a floor can get that way. I've got a few waves in the concrete where I assemble cabinets in the current shop that drives me bonkers.
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 02-26-2017 at 9:32 AM.

Half of the wall sheeting is up. They didn't do the bottom half since the cement guys are just going to maul it anyways. Final grading is done, and the HVAC guys are onsite getting the pipe down for the radiant heat. The plan was to pour next monday, (March 20th), but road restrictions are on right now, and the smaller trucks aren't going to be able to maintain a high enough cycle time to keep mud flowing. It is what it is. Monday though the cement guys will come back and set their wire mesh.

I'll try and get some pictures posted of the heating loops once they are down.

The walls have R25 fibreglass insulation in them. I don't remember off hand what the ceiling added up to, but I've been running a little 75,000 btu heater in there off of a Honda suitcase generator for a couple of weeks. It has done amazingly well hold temperature. Monday morning it was -11ºF outside, and it was still 46ºF inside. So hopefully that's an indicator of how well insulated it is. The boiler running the radiant heat is a 300,000 btu unit. I think. It might be 200,000. Once that slab is warm, it will take a lot to drop the temp significantly.

The Honda generator has a bit less than a gallon of fuel capacity. It will run about eight or nine hours on that gallon. I found an aftermarket gas cap on Amazon where I can connect an auxiliary fuel cell. Total I've got about seven gallons of capacity. I almost have to change the oil as often as I fill it up. The manual calls for every 100 hours of operation to change the oil, so I've been changing it every four days. I've been running Amsoil synthetic in it, and could probably go a bit longer, but oil is cheap, especially when you're only using thirteen ounces at a time. I've gotten really good at changing the oil on it. I bought a little extension that threads into the oil filler, so all I have to do is tip the unit at an angle to drain the oil into a bottle, then I pre-measure the oil to fill it back up. I did it last night in five minutes. That was from the point it came out of the back of the pickup, to back in the pickup.

Maybe I missed it earlier, what is that on the "floor" now? It looks like tile backer? Is there insulation underneath? Looking great! Hopefully these views will be filled with equipment, tools, tables and stacks of materials soon!

That's 2" foam. I can't remember how many psi it is. There's plastic under that for an extra vapor barrier.

Nice Buddy! Really nice! Glad to see you are not cutting corners. I'm going the other way, my old shop was 55x148, and my new one is 36x48. Semi-retirement shop. Can't ever retire, too many fast cars and fast women. My weakness.

You want I should build you some office cabinets?

Larry, AKA Hans Sholbreck.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post
    Looking great! Hopefully these views will be filled with equipment, tools, tables and stacks of materials soon!
    +1. I sure agree!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”