Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: My new shop

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    You want I should build you some office cabinets?

The cobbler's kids, have no shoes.... I never got around to finishing my current office. Bare studs, two outlets, a couple of filing cabinets with a butcher block left over from something years ago sitting on top. It's classy.

I can not wait for this project to be over with. There's still a lot to do, but the end is at least in sight at this point. I keep pushing back the date I think I'll be able to actually move in, that's a tough pill to swallow each time. Hopefully June I can get this thing up and running. We shall see though. I don't have to pay the full payment right now, but I do have to pay the interest. Paying that, plus paying for the old shop is getting tiresome, and I haven't had to do it for that many months.

Wise move paying close attention to insulation. I bought an old Pepsi distributorship building and repurposed, and the heat bills were between $1500-2000 a month in the winter. Then about $400 for electric, $200 for sewer, and $350 a month for taxes along with all the other crap that comes with an old building. My carrying cost were about $24K a year and I decided I just want to work alone, so that had to go.

I'm about due for a road trip, have to go to the Marquette to have my wifes new car undercoated, maybe I'll swing out there and buy you lunch. Let me know where you are at in a PM. I'm going to rent a car for a day while they do our car so what they heck?

Later, Hans

I'm hoping it doesn't have a average heating bill over $300/month. I don't remember where we ended up in the ceiling, but we blew a couple more inches in than were necessary. The walls have attic insulation in it since they were 2x8 walls. Those have R25 insulation, plus whatever little bit is gained from the sheeting, which isn't much I know.

Taxes will probably be about $600/month.

Sewer and water will be about $120/month.

My electric bill varies wildly. Average right now is about $150. That's going to go up significantly just from my new dust collector being more than three times bigger than what I've got now.

Move to rural Texas, it's your land you can build what you want. Permit what permit.

Very impressive work shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lovell View Post
    Move to rural Texas, it's your land you can build what you want. Permit what permit.
    If Texas were to ever successfully succeed from the union, I'm moving to Texas.

Welp, the doors are formed up, the mesh is down, and the concrete is getting poured this friday. This is the last really expensive thing I have to worry about, and I can't wait to get it over and done with. I'm really excited to see it poured, I feel like that's the hump that needs to be crossed to be safely on the downside of this little nightmare.

My landlord gave me a letter the other day telling me I have to be out by midnight on the 28th of April. I had my lawyer send him a letter telling him to bite me. I'm curious how far he's willing to go and how expensive he wants to make this. My lease is until October 1st, so I ain't leaving until I'm ready. I still don't have power, I'm expecting they'll have it knifed in the next couple of weeks, but I can't control anything on that front.

I'm with you on moving to Texas, but am getting too old. Hard to imagine moving at all, let alone all the way to Texas. Would have to buy a whole bunch of shipping containers.

What size tube for your radiant? Looks like its 1' on center, that is good.
    Best heat you can get. Period, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    What size tube for your radiant? Looks like its 1' on center, that is good.
    Best heat you can get. Period, end of story.
    Pretty sure it's all ½" with the exception of the feeder for the 2nd manifold.

You can probably get away with that, seeing how you have a modern, well insulated building. I retrofit a 50's era cold war facility, and just have about 1 1/2-2" of spray foam on all cold walls and ceilings, but still have plenty of leaks, and we ran 5/8" or maybe it was 3/4" tube @1' centers. Keeps it good here, but I still have places with drafts, and I do not have warm air return on my dust collector.
    I think my garage door guy put in the cheapest homeowner grade POC door he had. I am on top of a mountain here, and it can get windy. It was gusting 30-50 mph when I met him here to show him the job in the middle of winter about 10 years ago. Told him it needed to be a good tight door, and he agreed. My door has zero reinforcing ribs on it, and when the wind blows, the top of the door pushes in 2-4" depending on wind speed! I might as well leave a walk door open all winter!

Well, ....... did it happen yet? No pics or updates?

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Well, ....... did it happen yet? No pics or updates?
    Yep, all poured yesterday. 150 yards went down in about 2-1/2 hours, with the last yard or so taking half an hour. I took a ton of pictures, but haven't had time to put them on here yet.

I don't remember reading it, but how thick on the floors? If you used 150 yds, that works out to about 6" thick, which is pretty substantial.

Yep, 6" of concrete.

First truck pulling up to the pumper.

Rolling the laser screed in. There was a small panic moment that it wasn't working, but there's a E-Stop that was pushed somewhere.

Southwest corner of the building. They started in the southeast corner, but it was a bit of a chinese fire drill right off the bat and I didn't get pictures of the first concrete splashing in.

The guy who ran the pumper had these carts that moved the hose around. They are remote controlled and made life much easier on everyone. There was still raking that had to be done behind the screed, but it wasn't much.