Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 91 to 103 of 103

Thread: My new shop

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    5,248
    Sounds awesome.

    Is it a screw compressor for that coin?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

  2. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Sounds awesome.

    Is it a screw compressor for that coin?

    Yep. I just ordered it about an hour ago. It's an Atlas Copco GX11. 15hp, 52cfm @ 132psi. Screw type with a line dryer and filters part of the machine, though I'm probably going to add a second set of filters after the machine just to be sure. I really don't need a compressor that size at the moment, but when the time comes for the CNC to be purchased, that thing needs 16cfm of clean, cool, dry air on it's own. That's basically taking a 1/4 hose and knocking the end off of it and just letting it howl. It's just the first part of the puzzle for making the CNC happen.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    40,548
    I'm sure you've been talking with your accountant about what you can take out of the project based on business investment via accelerated depreciation on the tax end, too... (if that's still available, at least)
    --

    Equestrian Sports. The most fun you can have with your boots still on...

  4. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm sure you've been talking with your accountant about what you can take out of the project based on business investment via accelerated depreciation on the tax end, too... (if that's still available, at least)
    That stuff has yet to be sorted. The only thing that has really been worked out is that I own the building, the company will be leasing the building from me. It needs to be discussed with the accountant how to come out of it best though.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Oregon, Wisconsin
    Posts
    300
    For a Section 179 deduction--I believe you would have to be in posession of the air compressor before year end. Secton 179 was extended for 5-years early this year.

  6. #96
    I have a 50hp atlas copco. It's a bit bigger than I need, OK a lot, but it doesn't cost me anything extra to start it. Nice compressors, I believe their main office is right near me.

    I have a couple 112.5kva transformers humming away inside my shop. The noise keeps me company and that corner warm.

  7. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I have a 50hp atlas copco. It's a bit bigger than I need, OK a lot, but it doesn't cost me anything extra to start it. Nice compressors, I believe their main office is right near me.

    I have a couple 112.5kva transformers humming away inside my shop. The noise keeps me company and that corner warm.
    I figured a 10hp would work for me, but didn't leave much room for growth. Or I should say, if things go the way I want them to, 10hp would rapidly become inadequate.

    How big of a shop are you running? That's a lot of 230/120 juice assuming everything you can put on 480v is on 480v. If it weren't for my widebelt I could've easily gotten away with a 75kva transformer to run all of the single phase stuff, 120v, and the 208v 3ph equipment that isn't cost effective to switch over.

  8. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Stahl View Post
    For a Section 179 deduction--I believe you would have to be in posession of the air compressor before year end. Secton 179 was extended for 5-years early this year.
    I always go off of when I've paid for things. But you're probably correct that you have to have it physically in hand. The compressor won't be paid for this year anyways, they're going to just send me an invoice at some point. Probably when it ships. I usually run equipment purchases on as short a schedule as possible for depreciation. I wish I could've spent more this year, but I still spent about $30k on tools. Last year I went a little nuts and spent $55k. I don't like giving money to the government if I don't have to!

  9. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I figured a 10hp would work for me, but didn't leave much room for growth. Or I should say, if things go the way I want them to, 10hp would rapidly become inadequate.

    How big of a shop are you running? That's a lot of 230/120 juice assuming everything you can put on 480v is on 480v. If it weren't for my widebelt I could've easily gotten away with a 75kva transformer to run all of the single phase stuff, 120v, and the 208v 3ph equipment that isn't cost effective to switch over.
    I have 5500 sqft at the moment. 40x140

    I brought in 400 amps of 480v into my space. Building I am in is 40k sqft, was built as a carriage factory in the late 1800's. It has 1600a 480/277v.

    I may end up buying the place in a couple more years.

    I have buss duct for all my 240v 3phase stuff, several runs of 480v for a handful of things. I have a couple moulders that need set up soon as well, one is 480v.
    Last edited by Darcy Warner; 12-30-2016 at 10:21 AM.

  10. #100
    A brief summary of what has happened in the last couple of weeks on my building:

    1. Nothing....



    The weather has been complete crap, so the carpenters haven't been too excited about working outdoors hanging siding. Hopefully next week they'll get rolling on it. The forecast is looking decent(ish)

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hatfield, AR
    Posts
    826
    It's probably no solace to you, but that post made me look up and laugh.
    -Lud

  12. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    It's probably no solace to you, but that post made me look up and laugh.
    It was meant to be kinda funny. I don't understand looking up though.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hatfield, AR
    Posts
    826
    It was more of - I leaned back in my seat and tilted my head. It wasn't just my eyeballs. Like prepping for a good hearty belly laugh.
    -Lud

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •