Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: My new shop

That 10 mill and foam needs to go up the sides of yor floor too. Bevel the top edge of the side foam 45 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    That 10 mill and foam needs to go up the sides of yor floor too. Bevel the top edge of the side foam 45 degrees.

I've got a pile of rips of 1" thick foam I cut up for the thermal break at the top course of block . They have a 45º bevel at the top and they're 7¾" to the long point. They should end up with a ¼" of concrete over the top.

The ceiling is all up. 90% of the walls are insulated and poly'd. They are going to start insulating the lid on Monday. I'm hoping to pour temp heat to it on Wednesday, and have everything final graded and ready for the hvac guys by Monday. That'll be entertaining since the highs next week are in the single digits. I've got a thousand gallon propane tank onsite to feed the temp heater. 600,000 btu, and at full crank it will torch off 6 gph. Figure an average of 4gph, and three weeks of running, I'm estimating about 2000 gallons of propane. At least propane is reasonable right now.

Temp heat is expensive no matter what. Just for your info, I have an average insulated space of 8000sf, and I used 2700 gal. Of propane to heat it for the entire year! Not too shabby. My old shop had unit heaters and it was over a grand a month for natural gas which was at the time half the cost of propane.

Yeah, I'm kinda being a pessimist on costs, but it's a safer way to play. The building isn't buttoned up, and there's going to be a lot of opening of doors. Especially when the concrete guys are doing the floor. The temperature forecast is looking pretty grim though. Minnesota winters are straight up harsh, even in the southern half where I live.

I'm going to strangle the overhead door guys. I got a text from the salesman saying they were going to put them in 12/12, wed. I just saw 12/12 and figured they were going in monday. Noon rolls around on Monday, no door guys, so I call the company wondering what in the gosh darn heck was going on. "Well, we've got you on the schedule for wednesday." Salesman told me monday.... So I checked the text again, and he told me two different days. Shame on me I guess. Tuesday, the salesman calls and says it'll be too cold for them to put the doors in. Really!?! Buy some bibs and a fresh diaper, (<--- Not the exact word used), and come get my gosh darn heck doors in.

So that completely screws up next week. Which is cool... It's only costing me $45/day in interest, $250/week to have the temp heater that I have no application for but can't push back because it likely won't be available next week, and the pain in the posterior of having to hang onto a telehandler, and scissor lift when they could be used elsewhere. As an added bonus, I look like a tool pushing everyone back a week. Now they're saying next Tuesday/Wednesday for install. Eight days after I was told they were going to be in. Also, had they gotten them in, the weather was going to be as good as it's going to get for getting the floor poured, (assuming the forecast is moderately accurate).

If I make it through the rest of this week without punching someone in the throat, it's going to be a miracle.

The good news this week is the insulation is basically done.

Peter, how well is your shop insulated? That seems like an obscene amount of fuel for your climate.

I have 2" of closed cell spray foam on all cold walls and ceilings. But i have Leaky doors and around windows too.
    My garage door guy was a real peach too. I am on top of a mountain with a lot of high wind, was blowing like crazy when he looked at the job. Told him i wanted a good quality insulated strong door. What did he put in? A residential quality door with pisspoor non working weatherstrip and no stiffeners or struts. Wind blows, door moves and bends in, daylight shows around entire perimeter, with about a 2" gap at top.
    All in all, 2700 gallons is fantastic.
    Before the gas, i had an outdoor wood boiler that consumed 100-120 CORD of wood per year, and it didnt even resemble warm.
    You start figuring cost of wood-$100 per cord by the log truck load, then the 20 hours a week, every week to process, and feed the boiler, and I am elated at 2700 gallons at around $1.20 per gallon we paid last year!!!

I hope the build goes well in this extreme weather happening now. Good luck and I will continue to follow your progress.

Red
    RED

Can't install because of the weather. Stuff like that makes my blood boil. (obvious stuff like frozen ground is different) But to not install doors because of weather is obscenely stupid to me. You didn't know when you took a job hanging doors that you didn't know you might have to work in the cold?? Jerks.

Personally, I'd hand the door guy a bill for your overages cause it was "too cold" to install your door. That is such "nonsense." <---fill in stronger word. We pulled wire when it was so cold our fingers practically bled, and we were computer techs, wiring was something we did on the side, to make sure it was done right for clients.
    Paul

When we were building our house framers were working 8:00-5:00 in -20 to -25C degree (I couldn't stand outside more than 10 minutes beside them after handing them some warm coffee).
    They finished their job on Christmas eve around 4:30 (yes they were working until then to get everything done). But had my share of trades who didn't show up on time multiple times including
    the garage door installer (but at least he did a fantastic job and the products were better than I expected).

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Told him i wanted a good quality insulated strong door. What did he put in? A residential quality door with pisspoor non working weatherstrip and no stiffeners or struts.

I spent a fortune on overhead doors. Almost $19k. I wanted a heavy duty commercial door, that's what I'm getting, for all the reasons you stated. 3" thick, and the big tracks. I should be happy once in, but I didn't need another battle on my hands getting them in.

luckily the weather is supposed to break next week here in MN so it will get better. Great post to follow!
    Keep your mouth shut and nobody will know how stupid you are....I should have listened!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I spent a fortune on overhead doors. Almost $19k. I wanted a heavy duty commercial door, that's what I'm getting, for all the reasons you stated. 3" thick, and the big tracks. I should be happy once in, but I didn't need another battle on my hands getting them in.
    Must be something genetic in overhead door retailers....

I GC'd my own house 6-years ago. Custom-ordered, pre-paid overhead door (x3) install got pushed out from Thursday to Monday by a delay from one of the other trades. "No big deal. Keep them in your warehouse so I don't risk theft over the weekend", says me. Looked for them Monday and they were a no-show, so called that afternoon. "We filed for bankruptcy Friday."

Bankruptcy court is going to rule on whether I own the doors any day now. Oh, and last crime in my neighborhood was in 1961.

...Maybe you should store your doors on-site???
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 12-16-2016 at 2:12 PM. Reason: Anybody wanna buy some extra doors? ...Maybe?