Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: My new shop

Outside shot of the pumper and the trucks. They were unloading two at a time. The cement supplier was short a truck, we were supposed to be have 6 running a loop, but they had five. It caused a little bit of down time, but not much. Ten yards per truck, and it was supposed to be one truck every ten minutes.

A little bit less than half way.

Back of the pump truck where the cement trucks unload.

Into the third corner.

This was pretty much the last of the floor that the laser screed could hit. This last little bit of floor took probably half an hour to pour. Getting equipment out, and doing it manually took way longer than the rest.

Cement guys are a cheery lot....

All the cement down, and on to power troweling. The ride on power trowels really made short work of things.

Starting to look like a floor!

I guess I got a little passive on taking pictures on the troweling process, but this is the final product after having had the control joints cut. I spent about an hour this morning with a squeegee and buckets of water getting it cleaned up. It's one of the nicest looking floors I've seen. No jokes. The concrete guys did a phenomenal job. They knew from the start that I'm picky, I wanted a nice product, and they delivered. I called them this morning and thanked them for there effort and solid work. I'm very impressed, and very happy.

I can't move anything in for a while. It'll need at least a week of curing before I put anything heavy like the forklift on it. I'm going to give it two weeks. There's no reason to rush anything if there's potential for something to go wrong. The forklift with the rip saw will be the heaviest items that are going in early. I think the forklift is 9500# and I think the rip saw weighs 3750# so that's 13k pounds on a green floor. It'd probably be fine, but why push it.

Next week the carpenters are going to get on hanging the bottom half of the wall sheeting. There's a couple miles of caulking that needs to be done outside as well on the siding. I'd like the floor to cure enough so the electrician can get on building the service inside and we can use the forklift for hanging the CT cans and setting the transformer. I'm still waiting on power, which sucks, but I can't control them. There's a big difference between calling and emailing them on the regular, and becoming "that guy" by bugging them too much. Once the juice is sitting outside waiting, it'll be time to start thinking about moving the actual shop in and getting things set up.

Two things I really need to get ordered is air lines and duct work for dust collection. I'm a little scared what the duct work bill is going to be. I budgeted $5k, but I think we're going to whistle past that in a hurry. The main trunk line coming in is a 16" pipe, and I'll need at least 60' of that to start with. I've only vaguely started thinking about the actual layout of all that.
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 04-09-2017 at 1:01 PM.

Congratulations Martin! A good looking floor for sure. Any word on electric yet?
    Fred

Martin, I know it's been terribly slow but if the rest looks as good as that floor, you will have a fantastic shop! Radiant heating? I am JEALOUS!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Congratulations Martin! A good looking floor for sure. Any word on electric yet?
    Fred
    I got the bill and I paid it. That's about the entirety of what I know is happening on that front...

Looks awesome. Very nice job from just the pics.
    As to ductwork, if you do not know them- spiralmfg.com in Minneapolis is a stand up company with the best pricing I have found for spiral.

Your floor turned out very nice. I knew that pex is pretty tough stuff, but I had never seen a laser screed drive over pex lines like that. I'm sure they've done it a lot without worry. Learn something new every day.

I've used their pipe before, and even better I've got an hvac buddy with a wholesale account.

Floor turned out great. Concrete work or should I say good concrete work fascinates me.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Henry View Post
    Your floor turned out very nice. I knew that pex is pretty tough stuff, but I had never seen a laser screed drive over pex lines like that. I'm sure they've done it a lot without worry. Learn something new every day.
    I was squeamish. Very squeamish. I was watching the gauges on the manifolds like a hawk. My hvac guy was supposed to be on-site for the pour should something go sideways, and wasn't, which REALLY ticked me off. Fortunately, no holes and they still have pressure on them today.

A tidbit I picked up obsessively reading about concrete nightmares and tubing was that you want to have the pipe at the operating pressure of the water pump. Logic tells me to jack it up so if a hike is created it's obvious. But if you bump it up to say 100psi, the pipe expands a little bit, and when the pressure drops, it pulls away from the concrete and you lose your conduction.

Muy bueno.
    -Lud

Very nice floor. You are wise to wait two weeks before putting any load on it. I've always waited at least two weeks before putting any serious load (a car) on a fresh pad; curing takes months and I was advised by a guy doing this over 40 years two weeks is safer option.
    First time for me too to see heavy machines on pex pipes. I have seen a few times basement floors that were flooded and had to be jack hammered/cut because of broken pipes but looks like yours went well.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    curing takes months
    If concrete stays wet on the surface, it never cures all the way. That's why they say Hoover Dam is still curing. Normal circumstances twenty eight days is the typical cure time. Temperature and humidity impact that as does moisture in the ground if there's nothing there to stop that factor.

Catching up on two weeks of progress here.

The carpenters got the bottom half of the wall sheeting on, and the last of all of the strips that cover the seams are installed for the glass board as well.

The mechanical/bathroom/office walls are a bit further along than this, (as in done), but this give you an idea of what's going on. The far left is the mechanical room and I think I'm going to do a set of sliding barn doors there. The center is the bathroom. On the right is my office. The ceiling is made up of 2x10's, 12" OC. Probably overkill, but I'd rather go overbuilt than under. I don't really know what I'm going to put up there, but I like to keep my options open.

I bought some trees! I figured for $2k I can't really go wrong. They're some sort of Maple tree, supposed to be really bright in the fall.

The bathroom plumbing is all roughed in and passed inspection.

The pickup and install trailer fit nicely inside.

The service is all built and ready to go for the power company to come hook the lightning up. We didn't run the wire from the CT can on the outside of the building to where the outside transformer goes since it's pretty easy to steal a zillion dollars in copper when it's like that. The electrician is going to start getting the racks up and start hanging pipe this coming week.

I started moving some of the machines that have been sitting in storage over there. My Northfield #4, Diehl SLR, a couple of OMGA chop saws that aren't being used, a Castle machine, and my SAC FS305 jointer. I still need to get the Tannewitz Type U in there, my new compressor and the pop up saw are also still in storage.

I actually got to set something in the place where it's going to be used.