Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advise on pricing Northfield jointer.

Need advise on pricing Northfield jointer.

Hello all. I really need advise on pricing a used but like new 12" heavy duty Northfield jointer.

Ebay seller is asking $8000.00 O.B.O. This may be a members listing so sorry if it is.

Hope it's ok to link this to ebay listing. Mods I apologize if it is against forum rules.

eBay item# 222202421543
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 10-04-2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link

At $8000, you probably can buy a brand new Felder AD741 16" J/P with silent power spiral cutterhead and power drive.

http://www.felderusa.com/us-us/produ...1--410-mm.html

Catalog this week said that AD741 is over 10k.

I think the price is high.But maybe it's very close to new.
    I almost bought one the seller was asking 5.But I had my heart set on a Oliver.
    If it had longer tables I might have bought it.

Good luck with your choice.

Aj

If jointer was new in 2001 and seen little use he might get close. Most Northfields will go in the 3-5K range but most are older and three phase. 12" is a little small for many iron guys as 16" is preferable but because they are still in business, Northfield does command a premium. There really is no comparable in build for less than 15K now. Their cored tables and cast iron base are among the best. I'd prefer a 5" diameter Tersa to their 4.25" straight knife but that is personal to me rather than correct. Other machines might serve the purpose for less but the cost to build a machine like that is expensive. It will be sold again in 50 years, long after the new Euro stuff is long gone. ( I like the Euro stuff but it is no longer built for generations, more like a couple of decades). Dave

that is very close to the price of a new Felder A941 (16" jointer). List price in Canada is $10k CAD (noting that $1US is about $1.3CAD now).

Northfield Heavy jointer new is 18K. Dave

Thank you everyone for the advice thus far.
    The seller's has contacted me and won't go lower than $7500.00. The jointer is still on original shipping crate and appears in the pic to be in excellent condition with very little use. There is hardly any paint worn off the guard for the cutter head.
    It has a single phase belt driven motor.
    Looks like I have a decision to make. If anyone else has input I'm all ears. Is there any specific questions I should be asking? The machine is about 8 hour drive from me.

You can call Jeff at Northfield and get info from him to verify. I believe they spec their tables to .003 from end to end across the 96" length but you could check. Weight should be in the 2000 lb range and motor should be 3 or 5 hp. Head will be three or four knife. Dave

Dave pretty much nailed it. An almost new Northfield could command close to that price if only comparing to new machines.
    However, as was said, you can get much more machine- 16-20" width for same or less money with a little looking.
    If you ever come across an older cast iron Bauerle or Martin, or just about any other German made machine, it would be a 20" machine, longer tables generally, and excellent build quality. And, they typically run $4-6k used.
    Or, look into older US cast iron machines- American, Yates-American, Porter, and let's not forget Frank Clement who originally designed and patented the 3 toed wedgebed design that Northfield still uses to this day, that can typically be had for $500-$2000.00 in a 16" size or larger pretty much all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Armstrong View Post
    It has a single phase belt driven motor.
    Single phase machines in that class and quality of build are relatively infrequent. If you don't already have three phase power, not needing to set up a phase converter or VFD should factor into cost.

Machine looks super nice in the photo. $7,500 is a lot but doesn't seem out of line for a basically new condition Northfield.

My 2-cents, feel free to accept or reject as you like. Do you want a jointer or do you want a Northfield? As others have mentioned, there are plenty of options out there in the same price range or less, of much more modern technology, that will do the job for you. But maybe you just want a Northfield? And there's nothing wrong with that. I agree with Peter that the price is fair but if it were me, I would not be OK with a standard cutterhead. You might factor in whatever it costs to get a Byrd head retrofitted onto that machine. Best of luck with your decision.

Erik

Points well taken from everyone. On going the used machinery route I wouldn't be looking at this particular machine if it were not in excellent condition as it appears to be. Although I have been using an 8" Yates American for years that I bought used. Were I'm located is basically a dead zone for buying used machinery. So most likely something would have to be shipped and I would be making a choice from pictures and the honesty of the seller. I'm very concerned about buying an antique(without testing/using it first) and something not being right with the machine. Though I do know the older iron is/was built to last several lifetimes. I don't want something that has worn out parts I have to fix or work on or worse that are obsolete.

Eric kind of hit on it. I do want a Northfield for two reasons, 1. I like old iron but this is new iron without the headache or the chance your taking when buying from pictures/not tested. 2. The quality in build is there no question.

I see what you guys are saying about finding a wider jointer for less money. But it starts turning into a space issue and also falls back on buying an older machine.

So in my case the pro's to buying this machine are: 1. single owner, very little use/excellent condition, 5 hp motor 2. I can go look and test it although an 8 hour drive. I had a lengthy convo with the owner and what I gather over the phone he's the perfectionist type. He even said he'd have to replace the safety/warning decals(extras he has from Northfield) because he told Northfield he would if he ever sold it.(He took them off because he didn't like seeing them).

Cons: 1. The price is not a steal or a deal(but does seem fair for the condition). 2. Has knives and not helical head.(Eric, thank you for pointing out I have the option to change the head)

I should be getting more pics from the owner today. If I can I will post them.

Within that price range you have so many options. For me, twelve inches would be too small. There are so many "roughly comparable" American made sixteen to twenty-four inch - even a patternmakers. The risks of buying used equipment can be minimized by careful review and purchasing from a reputable firm. Peter G (who commentedd here as well) has restored several large American made jointers and would be another good person to reach out to for comparative advice.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

If you want it. Buy it. It looks to be as close to new as you can get without out ordering an actual new one. I agree with you, it's not a deal and he's not asking too much, it's likely a fair price. He needs more pictures on ebay though.

There was a 12" HD for sale that looked just mint on the local craigslist a while back. I have absolutely nowhere but my living room to put it, but I wish I would've bought it. $5k, and less than an hour away.

Honestly, what's the ding dong difference between having a link or hotlink versus posting the item number? Cut and paste vs. clicking? That's a ridiculous