Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Need advise on pricing Northfield jointer.

Did you see the 16" Northfield on eBay? $4k

Edit: 10 pages of this?! That might be a record.

Yea. This thread is turning into a good educational resource.
    Matt. I called about it. Ben Rock has that machine. It's the one I mentioned having refurbed by him or Northfield. There's a little pitting on the tables but he checked them with a straightedge and has run it.
    I'm getting interested in the single phase belt driven that is 3-4 hrs from me. Just waiting on pics. From the way the owner describes the condition it sounds good.

A question for anyone:
    What's the best way to check the tables for flatness without a 6' precision straightedge? Joint two 6' long boards on edge and check against each other? I have a 6' aluminum level and a 6' straight edge that I use in the shop but nothing high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Armstrong View Post
    Yea. This thread is turning into a good educational resource.
    Matt. I called about it. Ben Rock has that machine. It's the one I mentioned having refurbed by him or Northfield. There's a little pitting on the tables but he checked them with a straightedge and has run it.
    I'm getting interested in the single phase belt driven that is 3-4 hrs from me. Just waiting on pics. From the way the owner describes the condition it sounds good.

A question for anyone:
    What's the best way to check the tables for flatness without a 6' precision straightedge? Joint two 6' long boards on edge and check against each other? I have a 6' aluminum level and a 6' straight edge that I use in the shop but nothing high quality.
    You can tension a thin wire and it will be dead straight, but it is not as user friendly as a good straight edge.

Table flatness and the ability for the machine to joint perfect edges are two different things.
    The tables need to be coplane and the knifes need to be sharp and set properly to the outfeed table.
    Then your have to have the good technique when passing the wood over the cutter head.
    Jointing two pieces of hard maple is a good way to see how everything is set.
    Any gaps will be obvious to even the most causual observer.

Aj

A decent extruded level can be very straight. I put my 8' against my Pinske edge and it is so good I now use it instead. Most of the time if you try a good level and measure using feeler gauges, you can flip to the other side and if the gauges show the same it is the table that is out. The old wedgebed design had the tables bolted to the wedges so getting them co planar is easy. If they are flat you can adjust the rest. The same can not be said for the newer wedgebeds where the table and wedge are cast together. Dave

So David I can check each table independently? If they are flat and the tables aren't coplanar then they can be shimmed between the wedge and table?
    I believe the infeed on a NF is 52" long. Could I get by with a 4' precision ground edge, start at the steel lip, check, then slide it towards the end of the table to check the remaining 4".

Am I understanding this correctly?

Edit: I may just spring for a 6' starrett. Accuracy (in): ± .0002” per foot
    Could I get by with this length? I may need one for future setup anyway.
    https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-380-...ustomerReviews
    Last edited by Cody Armstrong; 10-22-2016 at 1:08 PM.

I have a 4' Starrett and it's long enough for most of my needs. I also however have a couple of aluminum rectangular tubes that are 1" x 4" x 8' long that are accurate enough for most machine setups as well as a multitude of other shop uses. You can buy the stuff online and it's much less expensive than the Starrett

good luck,
    JeffD

Steve Smith in CO has a very nice Northfield 12" on Woodweb. I know Steve and he is a good guy to deal with. Dave

Damn nice machine David wish I had choices like that when I was on the scout for a 12 jointer.
    Do you happen to know what the hook angle of the head is on the North field.
    According to Rick F my Oliver 3 knife has a 38 degree hook.My measurement was very close to that.

Aj
    Aj

I saw it. That machine is pristine wish it was a 16" it would be sold.

I don't know the hook angle. Being that the head is 4.25" vs the 5" on the Oliver I would think it might be different. Dave

So I've wondered a few times how many of you think I would cave and just buy something.

Looks like I'll be playing the waiting game for a jointer. Thought I'd let ya'll know if anyone is interested.

I've been talking with Steve Smith. He's sent me pics of restoration examples he's done. They are superb and beyond immaculate. I've found the right person!!!
    If I have to wait for a while it will be well worth it to have a machine he's rebuilt. And worth every penny!!!

This thread evolved from me pricing and buying a 12" to being talked into a 16". I know now if I'd bought the 12" it wouldn't have been big enough. I've learned an incredible amount about jointers, brand names, and how they're built. I never dreamed I'd learn so much from this thread. I've spent countless hours searching and researching.

I want to thank everyone that has taken the time to give their advice on this thread. There's a good chance I would have made a poor decision without ya'lls help. So a BIG thank you to all.

"Sir" David Kumm, I especially want to thank you for schooling me on bearings, table flatness, planer marks, and going in to great detail to help me learn and understand what I want in a jointer.
    Crazy timing Steve posting the 12" Northfield to Woodweb during my quest. Yea, you could have directed me straight to him but I think you wanted me to learn. That's a good thing and I thank you for it.
    I'd shake your hand if I could.

When I have a happy ending for this thread it will be resurrected.

Again. Many thanks to everyone.
    Cody

I've bought from Steve but I do my own rehabs so I haven't seen his. I'll be anxious to see yours. Steve has a Kolle planer that is as sweet as I've seen. I think he had a Kolle jointer too but that may be long gone. Dave

I wish there was more Kolle equipment in the US. The table saw below piqued my interest in them a couple of years ago. Overbuilt is the first word that pops to mind.

43185d1334706821-where-i-buy-qaulity-machines-1006-14428-12072011083106289.jpg
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

It may or may not happen with Steve. He does have in storage a 16" older style Porter that has the newer style fence. It's been a while since he's seen it so from memory he couldn't tell me if it is a good candidate for rehabbing.
    Hopefully sometime next week he'll let me know something on it. Meanwhile he's made some calls to his connections to try and find a good core machine. I'm gonna let him hunt for awhile and see what pops up. I really want to go through him for this deal. I know he does things right and I know I can trust him. I'd share his pics he sent me but I didn't ask for permission so I better not.