Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drilling in pine

drilling in pine

I'm drilling a ton of holes in pine and I am using a brand new forstner drill bit on my drill press. I get tear out on entry. Anything I can do to eliminate this? RPM's? Nothing?
    Thanks

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Interesting, my first guess would have been a dull drill bit but when yours is new and of good quality that eliminates this possibility.
    Have you tried starting the cut very slowly to give the spur time to score the perimeter of the hole? If you only had a few holes to drill you could sandwich the workpiece between two sheets of hardboard or scrap to eliminate tearout.

Would clamp the work before the drill hits it.
    And if the cutter is >7/8, I'd drill at <250 rpm.
    And it would not hurt to enter slowly, then feed at the cut rate of the tool.

If it's not clamped somehow, it may move a bit causing a bit of tear out before it gets deep enough to stay in place. (only guessing...)
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Even though the bit is new, it sounds like it is not as sharp as it could be.

John

Blog Entries
    Take a piece of scrap and bore a hole through it. Then clamp that piece directly over the location for the hole in your finished piece. The scrap piece will prevent any tear out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately I have to drill 4700 holes so clamping or use of scrap would slow me down too much. I'll try the slow feed...I hate pine.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    Even though the bit is new, it sounds like it is not as sharp as it could be.

John
    My guess as well. Or the entry of the bit to the wood is too fast. Go slow for the bit to cut its first edges.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

You might also try starting the hole with the drill running in reverse, allowing the spurs to more gently score the perimeter.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

You could make a pattern with an index hole under each hole you need to drill that fits over a pin in the drill press table.

This holds the work almost as well as a clamp but is much faster.

I don't have a suggestion beyond than what others have posted but am curious. What is the project that requires 4,700 holes?

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    I'm drilling a ton of holes in pine and I am using a brand new forstner drill bit on my drill press. I get tear out on entry. Anything I can do to eliminate this? RPM's? Nothing?
    Thanks
    This may not be practical for a "ton" of holes, but when I want an absolutely clean entry I clamp another piece of wood on top and drill through it. (Another piece on the bottom too if I want a clean exit.)

And make sure the bit is sharp even if new.

I haven't tried this, except on the lathe where tearout was a problem and when chip carving, but I'm wondering if a coat of thinned sander sealer before drilling would help.

JKJ

We do not know what size holes your drilling. My set of LV brad point bits has cutting spurs that are way sharper than my forstner bits, but they are under 1/2". LV my have larger available. You could hold the work steady against a fence if it's shape allows. 4700 holes at 15 seconds per hole equals 19.5 hours
    Last edited by william watts; 10-05-2016 at 6:12 PM.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Blog Entries
    How about making all the pieces just a little bit thick & then bring them down to final thickness after the holes are drilled, thus removing the torn out layer. Something to try if nothing else works.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    You might also try starting the hole with the drill running in reverse, allowing the spurs to more gently score the perimeter.
    On a drill press?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night