Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prescription Eyeglasses

Last Saturday I hit a deer that smashed the windshield and drivers window and my glasses took the brunt of the flying glass. They were chipped up pretty bad and I called Walmart to see if they were covered. The store said they should be and to come in and they would take care of it when I got there they told me that they already ordered new lenses today they called and I have my new set of glasses including frames no charge.

I've been wearing glasses for 50 years, progressive Bi-focals for 14 years. Even though I've always purchased frames & lenses from the eye doctor's optometry segment, I have had some issues through the years. I can't imagine going through either a online service or discount store. There are so many variables in lens, their construction, grinding, fitting etc. Add a multiple of variables in your eye condition and what works for you and things can go south in a hurry.
    My luck usually isn't good enough to take a chance, even though I pay the higher price, for me it's worth the expense. My current frame is 5.5 years old and still tight as new. I'm not a slave of fashion so don't change out frames just for the hang of it so typically the price isn't bad over the long haul.

When I was getting prices I stopped at a private place and asked about glass lenses and they told me that they are to dangerous to sell. I only will wear glass as plastic scratches to easily when I run the CNC and get dust on them

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    When I was getting prices I stopped at a private place and asked about glass lenses and they told me that they are to dangerous to sell. I only will wear glass as plastic scratches to easily when I run the CNC and get dust on them
    Try some Uvex over-glasses. I found a pair at a woodworking show which fit very nicely over my poly street glasses. The clarity is excellent, even when using measuring devices and reading small print. They fit closely to your frames and stay snug.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 10-24-2016 at 12:34 AM.

The anti-scratch coating you can get on the polycarbonate lenses helps, but the best way to prevent scratches is to never wipe them without rinsing with water first.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    The anti-scratch coating you can get on the polycarbonate lenses helps, but the best way to prevent scratches is to never wipe them without rinsing with water first.

I don't have running water in the shop

Blow the glasses of with compressed air, use a large spray bottle w/ water to flush the glasses well. I mix mine w/vinegar and it really does a nice job of removing smudges.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 10-25-2016 at 1:16 PM.

Me either, but I keep water in an old used laundry detergent jug, especially if you have one with the push-button spout. very handy.

Is there a JC Penny near you? You have to arm wrestle with them, but I paid $87 each for the last two pair. The computer automatically adds coatings, and expidited delivery, and.... But if you patiently reject the extras one by one you will wind up with a reasonable price. According to Penny I have a RayBan turtle shell frame and plastic lenses. I have 4 pair (different focal lengths) with the oldest being 3 years old. I have had no issues with the frames, and no issues with the lenses even though I use whatever is handy to clean them. There was a special on 60 minutes regarding the rip-off in frames. Basically one ultimately monopolistic supplier or something like that.