Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prescription Eyeglasses

Prescription Eyeglasses

My wife and I both wear bifocal glasses. We have been buying our glaseses from the optical dispensing arm of the doctor that examines our eyes. The glasses with frames, I realize the frames are a significant part of the cost, but the glasses have been costing us in $400 oi $500 range. We need to find a lower cost alternative.

Has anyone used the one that are always adverising on television, Americas Choice or others, WalMart or Sams Club? If so what are your thoughts and how have the glasses been, decent quality? Can you recommend a source for pressription eyeglasses?

Also, do the new Transitions type of lenses that darken when you go into the sun work behind the tinted glass in cars? I know years ago they did not.

Also does anyone have any type of discount vision insurance. What I mean is you pay a premium and get substantial discounts on your glasses. We have discount dental insurance that works that way and for a $199 annual premium for the two of us we save a substantial amount on our dental visits.

Thanks for any input or experiences.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

we use Costco for our glasses, i don't think a pair has ever been more than $200. we don't get bifocals...yet.

check into VSP for vision insurance. we have it through our work, but i'm sure they sell to individuals as well. We get our exams covered and a discount on glasses from the usual places. the discount is not huge at costco but the total cost to us is always less.

I'm not sure my experience will be helpful but here goes...

Prices: I've bought a pair or two at Walmart and Costco. They were okay price-wise but the frame selection was limited at Costco. I've gotten my last few pair at the base exchange optical shop (I'm a retiree) right next door to the optometrist. They're just okay on prices, too but they're convenient for when we're on base doing the weekly shopping. Still, with my astigmatism and presbyopia, and Transition lenses, they get into the $400+ neighborhood before insurance.

Insurance: I do have a vision plan but it's through my Federal Government employee benefits: FEP BlueVision provided by Davis Vision. I think Davis only deals in group policies.

Transitions: I really like my Transitions lenses. I'm on my second set. Although they aren't advertised to do so, my "Signature" lenses darken just a tad in truck. At the time I bought them, they had a "Drive" flavor that worked behind auto glass but they were much slower to turn and they started with a pronounced tint, being intended as driving glasses. They didn't have a clear version. I note that they now have a line called XTRACTIVE that get darker and work in cars. They have a slight tint and since I'm about due for new specs I think I'll check them out.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I've bought several glasses from Zenni optical online and have been happy with the quality and price can't be beat. They are not the most stylish though so if you are looking for designer frames look elsewhere. I have gone with standard bifocals, not progressives. They seem to offer all the standard options. I will buy from them again in the future.

I'll be following this thread because I need to find a cheaper source as well. I did Costco once and wasn't impressed. I had to return them because the bi-focal was positioned so low that I got a stiff neck using them. The replacement pair was only marginally better. My last pair from a new source work great but cost me $550.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I use Walmart as I like the doc and live in a small town just outside a big city. Anything which saves me from driving in to the big city is a deal for me.

My wife and I have been buying from Zenni for many years. We both wear progressive bi-focals. We've never had a problem, and when my eye doctor checks the prescription of them they have also been right on spec. Agree with Pat that they are generally not stylish, but that isn't important to me. I always order both regular glasses and prescription sunglasses and both pairs together are a lot less than I used to pay at one of the chains. The only part I've ever had fail was the little silicon nose pad....easily and cheaply replaced. I don't care for the self-darkening lenses...they don't get dark enough for me. I always order the darkest sunglass tint.

You can upload a picture to their web site and virtually "try on" different styles to see how they look. It only gives you a rough idea, but I think it's more helpful than looking in a mirror at the optician when you can't see without your glasses!

Probably the biggest issue with online glasses is that you have to adjust them for fit yourself. Not a big deal, but sometimes getting the nose pieces on wire rims set correctly takes some experimentation.

You will need your pupillary distance (distance between center of your eyes) to order online. Not part of the prescription, but your eye doctor can measure it for you if you ask, or you can do it yourself.

They take 2-3 weeks, since they are coming from overseas. I usually order a spare pair, unless the prescription change was minor (usually).

My daughter and I both have glasses from Americas Best. Daughter started it because she wanted a couple different pair for fashion reasons. We made her ask our eye doctor what she thought and the doctor said she had no problem with it. Then she wanted me to try a prescription specifically for closeup to try to avoid bifocals a little longer and suggested I get something cheap since it was a little bit of an experiment. I ended up with 2pr for cheap and they are pretty decent. My daughter got her latest "good" pair there too.

Contacts, my wife got her last order at Costco. Eye doctor said their prices are lower than her cost. Costco is a pain for us though as the closet Costco locations are 40 minutes away and it takes 2 trips. We make the trek every couple months already, but for vision stuff have to make a second.

Vision insurance--my employer just got vision. We have 60-something people. Before we were too small a group to get it at any kind of reasonable price. And that's a plan tied to our healthcare coverage. I'm probably not going to save a ton overall by having it either comparing my average yearly cost to the premium. Some, but not a lot.

Try eyebuydirect .com online George. My Dad just saved a bundle there.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've been buying my safety glasses from Walmart for years. Exam and glasses run just a little over $200 for bi-focals. Can't tell any difference from the $500 ones I was buying before.

I have been using Zenni for a couple of years. I have used Costco, Sams, and Walmart. By far my best pair of glasses i have ever gotten was from Zenni same for my wife. My last set was titanium rimless frames, Ultra high index free form progressive lens with the top of the line coating all for $130. If I had gotten those from a doctors dispensary it would have be close to $800 sams would have bee $500. A great deal and good quality.

I just did the Costco exam, frames and lenses (bifocal) for 2 pair. One pair is dark glasses. Cost of exam including retina scan ($35) was $115. Two pairs of bifocal glasses was $257.

I have been doing Costco for quite a few years now and been satisfied. Yeas ago I paid much more for glasses. I go for the middle of Costco's range for frames.

Just got my first pair of bifocals about 3 weeks ago.
    I had always been happy with Walmart and was the first place I went to this time. But was not as cheap as years past.
    I ended up getting my bifocals at Target Optical. I have been very happy with them so far. My total cost was not much more than Walmart quoted for just the lenses.
    I got top of the line lenses and a frame for around $350 (Frame was $120)
    For some reason safety glasses lenses are cheaper.

I had insurance for glasses at my last job. But if you figured the cost and get a new pair every two I don't think I was much ahead.
    I had insurance through the Ohio Farm Bureau but it was cheaper to just use the store sale price this time around.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 10-05-2016 at 11:14 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I get the script and shop a few places. I never buy from the place I get my exam from as they are about $200 higher than other places. I ended up at Walmart this time but last time I did better at Sears. I get glass lenses and photo gray. Some places don't carry those

We have used Zenni for a while, too .... My last pair of bi-focals were less than $50...
    My single vision sunglasses with aviator frames were $37 .... So cheap, I bought
    a pair to keep in each vehicle.... Prescription is always spot-on ....