Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Free Hand" Hollowing Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schneider View Post
    Scott,

Just out of curiousity, did you look at Trent's tools that are made with Hunter #1 cutters? (different from the Hunter adapter)

http://www.trentbosch.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=32

Thanks
    Michael
    When I bought mine, he didn't offer the Hunter version. He has replacement cutters to make them Hunters, but at $60 each.... I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

hand-held only

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Ladner View Post
    I will eventually invest in an articulating and captive hollowing system. But, in the interim, I would like to get some hollowing-specific hand-only tools.
    I use several free hand hollowing tools, including an old one from Sorby and a couple of Hunter swan neck tools. I just bought a set from the other John Jordan but haven't tried them yet. A lot of people do a lot of hollowing with these, all by hand. He does sell a handle with forearm support if you find you need a little extra support.

As mentioned, you don't need a rig for hollowing. Working freehand is a bit more effort to get the thickness you want. However, some good calipers and some patience works every time.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I use several free hand hollowing tools, including an old one from Sorby and a couple of Hunter swan neck tools. I just bought a set from the other John Jordan but haven't tried them yet. A lot of people do a lot of hollowing with these, all by hand. He does sell a handle with forearm support if you find you need a little extra support.

As mentioned, you don't need a rig for hollowing. Working freehand is a bit more effort to get the thickness you want. However, some good calipers and some patience works every time.

JKJ
    John, I just had a look at his tools on his website and they do not appear to take the optional TC inserts like the Trent Bosch tools do, is that correct?
    Rgds,
    Richard.