Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stanley 45

Well there was a post that just disappeared into the ozone. I was trying to post to see if someone would be interested in some 45 parts. I have almost a whole 45 and parts for most of a second frame. Also I have some blades

If it looks like an offer to sell, the moderators may have moved it or deleted it or whatever the do. They want those sorts of things in the classifieds.

I think just about anyone with a 45 or 55 wants cutters. I am watching every set on the auction place now..I just got out-sniped on an original box

Glen, a local antique shop (somewhat) near me has an old original stanley display filled with 45 and 55 cutters, sold individually. Few bucks a piece would make for a pretty inexpensive set (without the box of course). Any chance youre in PA?

Nope, Minnesota. Is that one of the guys who sells on ebay?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peter Joseph View Post
    Glen, a local antique shop (somewhat) near me has an old original stanley display filled with 45 and 55 cutters, sold individually. Few bucks a piece would make for a pretty inexpensive set (without the box of course). Any chance youre in PA?
    Dang, if that was in my neighborhood and there were some of the special cutters in the display, I would be out mowing lawns or something to fill out my set of cutters for the #55.

The special cutters are usually about $15 each last time I looked on ebay.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

An update: I'm rebuilding what our son called the "birdhouse" around the electric meter/main panel, which juts out from the outer wall of the house slightly*. The bottom of this structure will be a sill, similar to a windowsill. It's only 20" long. I was shaping it today, and feeling very reluctant to break out and assemble the Stanley 45 for such a short run.

Then I remembered my round planes. My smallest round plane has an iron about 1/4" wide, a touch wider than I usually like for a drip groove; but, working against a clamped-on fence, and with a not terribly sharp iron, I got the drip groove cut in about five minutes, counting clamping the stock to the bench and fussing with the setting of the iron (at which I'm not very experienced). If I did more of this kind of work, I think I'd probably make myself a dedicated woodie plane for the purpose.

*Our 1895 house has 2"x3" studs, so conventional electric panels can't tuck into the wall.

Have used the 45 to make a few beads..
    bead board.jpg
    And reground a huge (3/4") cutter into something to make a groove..
    stanley 45.jpg
    That seemed to work quite well..
    grooved.jpg
    Might get a few other "extra" cutters and regrind them? Then I can do the hollows someday?

I've used mine for T+G, Beading, Cutting grooves for drawer bottoms as well as making a kerfing slot for resawing lumber by hand. I love using my 45 so much i'm looking to add a No 55 to the fleet sometime soon, but that's for another thread .

Haha, believe me it's on my list.

I was able to get ahold of almost all of the standard cutters (missing that huge #9) for far less than ebay prices at the area meet. I am short only the short rods now (ar ar ar) because of that meet. I walked in with tools and $13 in my pocket, and left with different tools and a different $13. Good meet in my opinion.

I was finally able to sharpen up the 1/4" plow iron and take it to a hunk of white oak. While the groove isn't so clean as it could be, I blame the craftsman and not the tool! I still need practice but I've been plowing and beading all kinds of scrap to get a feel for it. I think it's going to be the utility I needed.

Will be getting ready to fire up the 45 later. Need grooves milled for a box's bottom panel to fit into....1/4" cutter needs to be installed before that can happen. Box's sides are 1/2", I have to set the depth of cut so it won't go to deep. Might be a little rough setting things up to plough the grooves..
    .test fit.jpg
    May have to set a jig up like this, again....

A batten for a groove?

long side.jpg
    Might build this jig, again......

Very few 45 and 55s on the auction site have a full set of cutters..If they do, the price increases dramatically...
    Jerry

I think the 45, considering the time it was introduced, had amazing capacity to do "lots of things".
    Of course the 55 "improved" further on that. 2 great multi facetted tools
    They are part of my slippery slope...
    Jerry