Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite Movie Actors & Actresses

Bruce Lee movies were kinda corny but the way he moved was impressive. Thumbs up. Rich, I don't believe age in years has anything to do with how old you feel/act. You can be old and still kicking butt. I'll tell you what, one of my cousins is a full time logger,farmer, and contractor and he's pushing 70! Dern it if he can't out work me! ME!! I'm 17 and I work like a dog! You know what he told me one time when we was out working, he said he can't work worth a crap any more. It about made me dizzy. They don't make them like they used to I guess. And I guess it works the other way too.Take me for example, I've never fit in with kids my age because I grew up around the gents of yesteryear and act, walk, talk, and work like said gents. People call me old man Brent for Pete's sake! I guess it's not all for naught, there's a nice bit of ethic that comes with the territory. Be all you can be Rich(and others)!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    Be all you can be Rich(and others)!
    Like many here, I already did that and retired from the military; it's your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Like many here, I already did that and retired from the military; it's your turn.
    I think I look forward to that, they probably won't draft me 'cause a couple years ago I had to have two rods put in to straighten my back, so I'll hafta join. I love Rich's Riddle threads, mind if I call them that Rich?

If you don't mind me asking, where were you stationed Rich? I'm sorry, that stuff's neat to me. Most of my entire family was or are in the armed forces. There ain't a war that America has fought that there wasn't a Cutshall in.

Many of those mentioned here I have enjoyed over the years. Something I learned is that if I find myself disliking an actor because of a role, it is a clue that said actor is doing a great job. Let me mention two examples. First is Jason Isaacs in The Patriot. I could not stand him in the movie because his character was such a bad guy, and he played him so well. The bad guy gets transferred to the actor. Second is Alan Rickman from Harry Potter fame. Again he played the part so well that you came to hate the actor.

Others I have loved are Jimmy Stewart, Kate Beckinsale, Wilford Brimley, Brian Dennehy, and if you like westerns, of course Tom Selleck and Clint Eastwood.

Blog Entries
    Robert Mitchum.
    His work in the original "Cape Fear" was believable.

Blog Entries
    By the way, did you know he cut a calypso album.?

Where I was stationed seems to follow many old battle movies, Japan, Germany, all over the US, the Middle East, the Azores, Philippines, Korea, Guam.....like I said lots of war movies about those places. John Wayne and Gregory Peck starred in some of those.

Wow Rich, I salute you, if that means anything from someone like me.

I have an affinity for westerns. WW2 movies never did much for me. My favorite movies did not necessarily have my favorite actors. I liked Duke movies and the Duke but never considered him great in the craft of being an actor. Same for Kevin Costner. Michael Cain in Zulu is an all time favorite. Connery in The name of the Rose. Olivia Hussy in the 1968 Romeo and Juliet. Some actors are good but play in some terrible rolls. Some actors are not that good as actors but shine in some rolls. for instance, I think The Quiet Man is one of Wayne's best performances as an actor. IMO the absolute best actor and best role was Spencer Tracey in Bad Day at Black Rock. I loved Bogart in the African Queen, but the dialogue was stilted and corny. In the craft as an actor, he was better in Key Largo and Casa Blanca. Lately I find myself watching more and more early movies on TCM. Some of the acting back then was so much better than now. Does the actor's portrayal draw you into the story giving you a sense of participation or are you just a spectator watching a person go through the motions. Although not a favorite, One person that truly was good at whatever he did was Richard Chamberlain. It did not matter if it was Shakespeare or a western, on the stage, the tube or the big screen, he was good.