Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Movie Actors & Actresses

Favorite Movie Actors & Actresses

I am wondering who you folks like as actors. Mine are relative new-comers in the scene....Gregory Peck, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Sean Connery, and Gene Hackman. On the actress side, I like Ava Gardner, Ingrid Bergman, Judi Dench, Julie Andrews, Grace Kelly, and Julia Roberts. For some reason, most of the folks on the list aren't making too many new releases.

Kinda hard for some of those on the list to make movies, too busy pushin' up daisies...

I have a weird 'favorite'... Dane Cook. Not because I like his acting or his material that much... It's because I can understand every word he says. He has the best speaking voice of anyone I can think of...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I like most of the ones Rich lists. I will add Tom Hanks and Tom Berenger.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I like most of the ones Rich lists. I will add Tom Hanks and Tom Berenger.
    a thumbs up for tom hanks.

All of those are good. But in the role of a comic zoned out barber with tender feelings ,and flashes of unreasonable anger, the award goes to .....Howard Mc Near as Floyd the barber on the Andy Grifith Show. A singular unbalanced icon. I sometimes wonder if Rich could have helped him ....
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 10-07-2016 at 7:53 PM.

Tom Berenger, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Sean Connery, Clint Eastwood, and that guy that played Carl on Slingblade. If I sit here for a minute, I'll probably come up with a new list. I've never watched Ronald Reagan in a movie but he was a good president, does that count?
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

One of my college students asked who was John Wayne. I can understand not knowing Peck or Stewart, but John Wayne?

I'll add Gary Cooper.

BTW...I just saw a life size statue of John Wayne holding Maureen O'Hara in his arms in the village of Cong, Ireland where the exterior scenes for the movie "The Quiet Man" were filmed. We took the movie tour there and it was interesting. Of course the interior scenes were shot on sound stages in Holleywood.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Charles Bronson and Andy Griffith too.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

1970 ish films got more "real" and less theatrical. The older films were really recorded plays. The change meant directors quit yelling "bigger!" and started saying "less, less". Gary Cooper was subtle and realistic and ,I think , would have been even more successful today. His "High Noon" (1952) still brings a tear every time I see it. Anyway...my main point is styles change.

I like a lot of the male actors already mentioned but I would add one; Robert Duvall. A movie he did a little while ago, Open Range, was very good and he was fantastic. He puts so much in to the most minor actions. Superb. Morgan Freeman is very similar and another of my favorites not mentioned.
    From years ago I like Patricia Neal.

Sean Connery would have to be my all time favorite actor, especially in Highlander. The ladies - that is a more difficult choice. I love Sigrid Thornton in 'The Man from Snowy River', Bette Midler in 'The Rose' and 'Beaches', Cher in 'Moonstruck', and Marilyn Monroe in everything! Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Audrey Hepburn, Myrna Loy, Brenda De Banzie, John Mills and Charles Loughton to add a few more.
    Last edited by Caspar Hauser; 10-10-2016 at 5:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    .... Grace Kelly ....
    Most beautiful woman ever. Especially in Rear Window.

I will watch any movie with Ed Norton and/or John Turturo in it.

Wow, I can't believe no one said Meryl Streep. She's an amazing actress - just melts into whatever role she has. Look at the one scene in "Sophie's Choice" where she is asked to choose between her son and daughter. You'll never forget it.

While he hasn't done any interesting work lately, Robert DeNiro in "Raging Bull" was fantastic.

And Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton were outstanding in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf."

Peter O'Toole in "Lawrence of Arabia". It was his first movie and he never did as good a job later.

While she wasn't a great actress, Audrey Hepburn was absolutely beautiful in "My Fair Lady".

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-10-2016 at 7:00 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.