Thread: Fein Multimaster 350 Q Bargain

Fein Multimaster 350 Q Bargain

I've coveted one of the Fein Multimaster saws for years for use trimming door-jams and miscellaneous tasks when doing trim carpentry. I have resisted because of the cost and because I knew with a little elbow grease I could do the work with a hand saw. Sunday I had a repair in a tight spot which could only be done with one of these oscillating saws so I headed out to the store to get a cheap knock-off. The on the shelf at Home Depot was a Fein FMM 350 Q for $100 (normally $199). It came with several blades and a bag priced the same as the knock-off. I thought I heard angels singing as I looked the thing over wondering "What's the catch?"

FYI: Fein and Bosch have come up with a new version of blades called Star Lock. The newer model of the Fein MultiMaster is the FMM 350QSL (SL being Star Lock). The FMM 350Q is the 'old' model but every bit as good as the newer Star Lock models (IMO) and may be better because the 350 Q can use universal blades available from third party manufacturers rather than the proprietary/more expensive Star Lock blades. If you're in the market and love a bargain as much as I do, be on the lookout for the FMM 350 Q on clearance at 1/2 price. You might be lucky enough to find one.
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

Great deal. Congratulations! I looked at the HD website and it's not there, so it must be what each store has in stock.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    ... it must be what each store has in stock.
    I think that's precisely the story in this case...old inventory. I thought it might be worth a look if you have a local store.
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

There is one on the clearance shelf at the HD closest to me. I think it is marked down $10. I don't need one because I got the top of the line Bosch kit for $80 a couple of years ago when Lowes was clearing them out.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 10-08-2016 at 8:42 AM.

You may wonder how you ever did without one! It is one of those tools that finds new uses for itself. It has gotten me out of many tight spots over the years. If you do any remodel/repair work, the scraper is a great way to remove old caulking and cut caulk lines before removal of old trim.

These tools are indispensable for tight areas--I would never be without one. The blades are spendy, however, and just don't last very long...but still a great tool and totally worth it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The scraping blades are easily sharpened on something like a WorkSharp and I use the sanding attachment more and more. Wouldn't want to live without it.