Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclone/Separator Suggestions

Cyclone/Separator Suggestions

I was looking for the East Caroga cyclones on the auction site but couldn't find them. So I'm wondering which would be a better choice; the Thien separator or the Super Dust Deputy. My intention is to exhaust outside so I'm looking to capture as much as possible before the exhaust. I would be using a HF DC with no filter, one machine at a time in a small basement shop. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I have read from quite a few places around the net that a cyclone (especially the Oneida line) performs much better than a Thein separator. Id go the Super Dust Deputy route any day if you dont want to put the money into getting a full blown cyclone dust collector.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kertesz View Post
    I was looking for the East Caroga cyclones on the auction site but couldn't find them....
    They have a their own website now if you're still interested.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I just bought one of the eBay/east caroga cyclones a few weeks ago. It wasn't listed on eBay so I purchased through the website that David linked to and received it in a few days.
    - Mike

I'm looking at the SDD vs east caroga cyclones. Anyone have any expirence which one would be better? I'm looking to mod my delta 50-760.

I have the exact Delta 50-760 and went through the Woodcraft lid separator and then the Thien separator and finally happy with the SDD. I modified mine by raising the dust collector up with 1" conduit so that the SDD fit within the same footage.
    A20150312_212711.jpg

Do you feel the 17 gallon drum is enough capacity? I'm was leaning towards a 35/55 gallon drum. I know I won't be able to mount it on the cart, but that isn't a big deal for my situation.

I have the large EC connected to a 3hp unit. I vent outside, but have run my drum sander and this cyclone does a great job of capturing the dust. I would think it is close in performance to the SDD.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Busse View Post
    Do you feel the 17 gallon drum is enough capacity? I'm was leaning towards a 35/55 gallon drum. I know I won't be able to mount it on the cart, but that isn't a big deal for my situation.
    I run a 35 gallon. When 80% full it is heavy enough ;-) I prefer to empty a little more often and throw out my back a little less often but, I'm a senior citizen.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For me 17 gallon drum is big enough unless I do a lot of jointing and planing which only happened twice so far for the past few years. I would get the fiber drum if you want it bigger.

If you are exhausting outside, collection efficiency is not that important. The Thien baffle should be all you need. Not sure how the pressure drop compares between the Thien baffle and the cyclone, whichever is lower would give you the best suction at the tool and thus best collection. From a cost point of view the DIY Thien baffle is obviously cheaper.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll go with a 35 gallon drum as I do a lot of planing. As for EC vs SDD, I'll look at cost with adapters and pick one. I've read good things about both.

Do you know if the East Caroga cyclones have a neutral vane?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    If you are exhausting outside, collection efficiency is not that important. The Thien baffle should be all you need. Not sure how the pressure drop compares between the Thien baffle and the cyclone, whichever is lower would give you the best suction at the tool and thus best collection. From a cost point of view the DIY Thien baffle is obviously cheaper.
    +1 a properly built Thein can eliminate all visible dust and since you are venting outside that would be my choice.
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

I would urge you to get a cyclone rather than the Thien baffle. The separation of the fines is much better, a very important point if you use a filter. Also, if you can fit it in, use a 35 gallon drum for collection. You will probably find the smaller ones need emptying too frequently. Larger than 35, may be very heavy when full, and may not fit under the cyclone if your ceilings are low.