Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cyclone/Separator Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kertesz View Post
    I was looking for the East Caroga cyclones on the auction site but couldn't find them. So I'm wondering which would be a better choice; the Thien separator or the Super Dust Deputy. My intention is to exhaust outside so I'm looking to capture as much as possible before the exhaust. I would be using a HF DC with no filter, one machine at a time in a small basement shop. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by James Gunning View Post
    I would urge you to get a cyclone rather than the Thien baffle. The separation of the fines is much better, a very important point if you use a filter. Also, if you can fit it in, use a 35 gallon drum for collection. You will probably find the smaller ones need emptying too frequently. Larger than 35, may be very heavy when full, and may not fit under the cyclone if your ceilings are low.
    And i would agree with you if he was using a filter, however he is venting outside
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

Doug,

Since the OP said he was looking to "capture as much as possible before the exhaust", a cyclone would still be a better choice than the Thien baffle even if venting outside. Hence my post.

When I made my recommendation I didn't notice the desire "to capture as much as possible", to do that you need a cartridge filter preceeded by a cyclone which of course makes no sense if you are exhausting outside. Not sure why the OP would want that so I still think the Thien baffle is the way to go.

I have the Oneida Super Dust Deputy and it works extremely well. The problem with it is Oneida chose to make the diameter of the inlet and outlet such that normal flex or solid snap lock pipe won't fit on them. Neither will the adapters I bought from them specifically for the purpose. I was forced to cobble together a solution using poorly fitting adapters large quantities of duct tape. Some other company might make it easier to integrate into a system.

The OP is from Toledo Ohio, so chances are he will want to use a filter on cold days in winter, and hot days in summer, so think he will want the most efficient separator. I vent outdoors during the mild part of year, just opened the blast gate today to vent outside after the cold days we had.