Thread: New to this site and have a question about the cost of maple butcher block.

New to this site and have a question about the cost of maple butcher block.

Hello all... I have just joined this site and I'm interested in making a maple butcher block for my better half.

I recently turned 53 and my wood shop consists of a router, circular saw, jig saw, belt sander and some basic hand tools and the patio out back.
    I've used the search feature of this site and see many beautiful cutting boards you folks have made.

Was wondering what the cost of the lumber would be for making one of maple (nothing fancy) to the size of 18" x 32".
    I don't plan on using the end grain as of this point in time.

Robert...

Blog Entries
    Hard maple is about $4 a board foot around here. 18" x 32" x 2" (to allow for spoil) would be 8 board feet.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the reply... That price isn't to shabby compared to the price of having one made... I'll get started on this next week and will post some pictures when I'm done...

Robert,
    Welcome to the Creek. Maple is around $7.50 BF in the NW. no idea what it is in OK.
    Regards - Bill

Robert be sure to use tite bond lll glue, for the finish use mineral oil found in most pharmacies, laxative section...
    Don't be fooled by my name, I'm not a doctor, seems someone else had my name without md on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark HortonMD View Post
    Robert be sure to use tite bond lll glue, for the finish use mineral oil found in most pharmacies, laxative section...
    Don't be fooled by my name, I'm not a doctor, seems someone else had my name without md on the end.
    Mark, Thanks for the information on the type of glue and oil...