Thread: Setup charges

Setup charges

Hi All,

I have a customer that has stainless steel thermoses and coffee mugs that he wants a company logo on with earmark. The logo is the same size for both but the product sizes are completely different. Do you normally charge 1 or 2 setup charges? Customer is complaining that it should only be 1. Order is for 50 of each type.

Thanks,
    Tony

I rarely do setup charges as to the job itself, I just 'factor it in'. Depending on the complexity of a logo or text setup (all typing by me, etc.) that adds substantial time, I'll charge a fee.

In your case, I would likely charge once for the setup, since (I'm assuming) it's the same logo. And this is just me, but for a 100 part order, I'd forego the setup charge altogether.

It may be the difference between them looking to better deal you next time, or calling your first.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by tony mazzone View Post
    Hi All,

I have a customer that has stainless steel thermoses and coffee mugs that he wants a company logo on with earmark. The logo is the same size for both but the product sizes are completely different. Do you normally charge 1 or 2 setup charges? Customer is complaining that it should only be 1. Order is for 50 of each type.

Thanks,
    Tony
    1 in this situation. You are simply resizing the logo it sounds like. All the main setup work is done on the 1st. Now if they are two different logos then two setups would apply.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

I too do not charge set up fees, I work it into my price per item. Since most jobs are my time I charge what I think my time is worth from the moment I start working until the moment I am done. That is their price and stops me from having to get into an adversarial conversation with a customer.
    Trotec Speedy 300 60W, with Rotary Attachment
    Corel X8

As with the other - no setup fee. Easy enough to factor that into the cost of the service. However... I will in the case of a couple customers I have that continually gives me crappy art I have to work with.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

For customer supplied items that aren't stupid easy, I will charge a setup. If I buy almost any item from an ASI type vendor, they hit me with a setup. Why shouldn't I?

I use my discretion when to wave the fee. On an order like this, it depends on the difficulty of the project and the quantity involved. I personally like to test on blue tape any new item that goes in my rotary before running it. For 50 pieces of each, I'd likely wave the setup fees assuming it was a cut and dry "here's my logo. Engrave it" type of job.

If you were talking 10 pieces each, I'd likely lump the setup fee together so they didn't know they were being charged twice.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Unless I have to do extensive work on the art I do not charge a set up fee.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I view the setup fee as a way to get their artwork in order. If they supply a good vector formatted file that I only have to resize then I don't charge a setup fee. If I have to vector a raster image or send it out to get vectorized then I'd charge a setup "Art" fee.

As far as preparing the item to be engraved on the laser (Cermark and rotary setup) I view that as just part of the engraved price and I make sure I charge accordingly.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Most of the time I don't charge a setup, but like the others, roll it into my price. The exceptions are the large manufacturing jobs where I may have regular runs for them of 100-2,000 items, and they come up with a new design, expecting it at the same price because size, material, and run time are the same.
    Last edited by Joe Pelonio; 10-11-2016 at 6:42 PM.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks everyone for the input