Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DELTA 46-460 mid lathe, your opinions?

DELTA 46-460 mid lathe, your opinions?

There is a buying opportunity now for a DELTA 46-460 lathe..i have never ventured into the turning aspect of WWing...But this might be a good time to try at a reasonable cost....
    Looking for your comments/experience on this particular lathe (negative or positive)..A newbie like me could try without impacting the "tool fund" much..Let me now your thoughts ....
    Believe its standard voltage (no 240V req'd)..some accessories would be needed? .
    In advance, thank you...

Newbie "turner" (maybe)
    Jerry

Jerry,

I read all the reviews on Amazon a bit earlier and was dissuaded based upon the overall statements about the Delta customer service and availability of parts from them. It is a great price though.

My experience has overall been positive. I got the back end of a parts problem and would not want to go through that again. But it looks like they are back into the replacement parts business, directly and through a 3rd party. I have had this lathe for 3.5 years.

Other costs: a grinder with white or blue friable wheels - low or variable speed preferred. (140)
    A Nova G3 chuck and adapter. (118)
    Oneway Wolverine jig and Varigrind original. ($150)
    HSS turning tool set - Hurricane, Benjamin's Best, or Harbor Freight (under $100)
    1 Bowl Gouge - top quality ($60)
    Face Shield (20)

For me these tools are basics. The absolutes to start are the face protection, HSS tool set, grinder, and Wolverine / Varigrind set.
    It follows a rule of thumb that the tools and accessories = the price of the lathe.

I have been extremely happy with the actual performance of the lathe. It is quiet, smooth, and has adequate power and speed range. When I have made mistakes that caused a catch or blew apart a bowl, I have many times been thankful for the fact that I was learning on midi lathe and not some huge powerful machine.

I have made about 700 bowls, chalices, plates, etc. I am moving to a larger lathe now but will keep the 46-460 if I can find the room.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Did a bit of checking and the parts issue is a common complaint although others say it has been recently improved .The cost of the necessary accessories is a consideration..I'm viewing this as a relatively inexpensive way to try another facet of WWing.
    Oh well, its only money..By the time I decide, they'll be gone....Thanks for your input...
    Jerry

I've had one that I bought used about 4 years ago. No problems with it whatsoever. At the time that I purchased it one of the WW mags did a comparison and the 46-460 was rated the best overall.

Jerry, were you able to get that deal? I see they are back up to regular price ($588) on Amazon.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

negative

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Jerry, were you able to get that deal? I see they are back up to regular price ($588) on Amazon.
    No. by time I looked again, the price was risen..thanks for your help..it t'was a good deal..
    Jerry

Should this come on your radar again...

I have had this lathe for 7 years. I think it's fine for my work, which is mainly bowls and turned legs. If you plan to do legs, you should get the extension.

The switch got dusty, and stopped working for a while. I was able to order a replacement one which took about 3 months. But by the time it arrived, the problem had rectified itself.

Besides that, I can't complain. It's worked reliably.

Accessories and tools are a big part of the overall costs, so go in with eyes open. If I spent $X on my lathe, I've spent about 2X on tools and sharpening and accessories.

I have had one for about 8 years now.....Other then the dust in the switch, which I blow out; I have had no problems. Great little lathe.

10. Another Delta 46-460 owner here of nearly 4 years. No problems whatsoever, and they did upgrade the switch to a better design on the type 2. Just a few days ago, I managed to purchase both the reversing switch and off/on switch as spares to have on hand if ever needed, from ereplacementparts.com, after speaking to the tech guy at Delta. They were helpful and parts are available. A good lathe, and amazon.com has a super deal on it at present according to a poster over on another turning site.

I have been pretty happy with my 46-460, and I also have a large lathe for big stuff.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

My little Delta 46-460 has performed perfectly for the 6 years I have it, never had a problem other than the occasional hesitation because of dust in the on/off switch, mine is the older type.

Even today I would buy it again as it is one heck of a nice midi lathe.
    Have fun and take care

I concur with all posts to date. I no longer own mine due to upgrades along the way, but it served me well for the years I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I concur with all posts to date. I no longer own mine due to upgrades along the way, but it served me well for the years I had it.
    My experience as well, although I only recently sold it. The switch on mine had to be replaced after it stopped functioning altogether, but I still consider it a very solid purchase. The replacement switch appears to be the same switch that now comes standard on the newer version of this lathe.

I've had mine for 5 yrs. and enjoy using it very much. Also no problems.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

i have this lathe too. Have had it for little over a year now. no problems out of it, would recommend it. I'd go with the face shield, combo set of tools, low speed grinder, and Wolverine sharpening jig for starters if you have nothing at all for turning. It's amazing how much better it is, and incredibly safer, to turn with sharp tools. Plus after you get the the tool set and grinder/wolverine you are set on that stuff, they will last hopefully the life of the lathe. After that go for chucks, other tool rests, special bowl gouges, drive centers, live centers, etc.
    You can get started wood turning for not that much but beware the vortex can suck you in and you can spend as much money as you can imagine on the hobby. Get the Delta and have fun turning.