Thread: The Floating Credenza - Hikido (door building)

Blog Entries

The Floating Credenza - Hikido (door building)

Good morning! The cabinets I have been building are moving along at a very fast past. In order to make last weeks submission date for 'Works in Wood 2016' I put in a great deal of effort in bringing the cherry cabinet to life. Please check out my progress;

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...edenza-hikido/

Cheers
    Brian
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Lovely work Brian. A great deal of in-depth planning prior to working the wood. kudos.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 10-11-2016 at 9:04 AM.

Inspiring all the way round: design, method of work, execution, documentation.

Your door design appeals to me.

"Finally I have a tenon extending from behind the door panel. The shoulder of this tenon is stepped and the receiving groove in the door stile will be similarly stepped. The result of this arrangement will be a thin stile and flush mounted door panel."

I have asked you this separately, but am still confused. The battens tenon into the stiles. I fail to see how the stile allows the panel to expand. What's glued, and where's the room for expansion?

Blog Entries
    Thank you both!

Prashun, in this case we're just past the peak of humidity in our area, so I provided some room for the door to expand, but mostly room for it to contract. It will float freely on those battens.

Here is the Medicine cabinet when I first built it (feb)

And here it is currently;

The door has remained flat as well;

Brian, very inspiring. Excellent work, and very generous of you to share it with us. Best of luck, Patrick

Now I get it! A gap between the panel and stile. This is clever and novel to me. I would not have thought to leave a gap, but I can see that even at its "worst" it looks intentional.

Blog Entries
    Patrick, my pleasure and thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Now I get it! A gap between the panel and stile. This is clever and novel to me. I would not have thought to leave a gap, but I can see that even at its "worst" it looks intentional.
    Thank you! That is also the reason why I've been using VG lumber for these doors, no need to tempt fate, hah.

Brian, could you post a picture of your completed sliding doors looking from the back side? Thanks

Blog Entries
    Pat, I'll post one up to start my next blog post.

Nice work as always. What is it that you dip your chisel into whilst mortising?

Blog Entries
    Thanks John! That is an oil pot.

Had a chance to see this in person. Really top notch work. I'm not in a position to judge 'world class' work, but this is as high caliber work I can imagine.

The design, commitment to method, and execution is flawless.

I was most impressed with how the details and quality are revealed as you explore the parts. Take a sliding door off its track, turn it over. Slide the drawers in and out. Notice the drawer backs, the grain selection on the drawer sides. Every detail is just meticulously thought out, and flawlessly smooth.